Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS3 Overheating

TwoMargaritasPlease

At about 500 hours my engine started getting warm, 180-190. Never happened before.

I replaced the impeller, no improvement. In fact, it hit 225 a couple times and shut down.

Replaced thermostat, seemed to solve the problem.

While surfing, I kept getting above 200 again. Bow is up, engine pushing hard. Noticed excessive water in the bilge, enough to get picked up by pulleys and splash entire engine. Bilge pump not keeping up. Found a leaking PnP, replaced bag, still getting water. Found a small leak in the ballast plumbing, a loose vent. So far, this seems to fix the issue but I will continue to test.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? Why is my engine overheating when under load and wet? 

I considered that possibility. Then I realized the impeller is on the end of the crankshaft. It will be spinning even if you removed the belt.

Correct but the circulation pump is what moves the water through your engine and is belt driven. It's the large pulley top and center.

Edited by drh
  • Like 2

Dang, the one under the air cleaner? I thought that was a big idler. It's amazing I could get so old without knowing that. 

The belt is tight and I questioned whether it could slip. But I suppose it's possible. Thanks.