Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing RF P500-2

BCM

I have a 2010 VLX with Rockford Fosgate stock system (Punch P400 amp powering tower speakers, Punch P400 amp powering cabin speakers and Punch P500-2 amp powering sub).  After a few rides with the sub cutting out, yesterday we were out and the sub was not working at all.  The amp powering the sub is not powering up (no lights on) and there is a smell coming from it so I'm assuming the amp is blown.  Are there any recommendations on a replacement for this amp?  I want the simplest replacement available that will still allow me to use the remote power adjustment.  Is the new RF P500X2 which replaces the P500-2 the best bet or are there other options that would be recommended?

Thanks for any advice.

I got one of these for $200.  600 watts and it was brand new - just in a plain brown box.  Or they have them in the factory box for $70 more.  Sounds great!

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-43CXA12001-Amplifier-CXA1200-1-Refurbished/dp/B01LX1Q7N1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533739285&sr=8-2&keywords=kicker+cx+1200.1&dpID=41rCALGBDpL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

39 minutes ago, BCM said:

I have a 2010 VLX with Rockford Fosgate stock system (Punch P400 amp powering tower speakers, Punch P400 amp powering cabin speakers and Punch P500-2 amp powering sub).  After a few rides with the sub cutting out, yesterday we were out and the sub was not working at all.  The amp powering the sub is not powering up (no lights on) and there is a smell coming from it so I'm assuming the amp is blown.  Are there any recommendations on a replacement for this amp?  I want the simplest replacement available that will still allow me to use the remote power adjustment.  Is the new RF P500X2 which replaces the P500-2 the best bet or are there other options that would be recommended?

Thanks for any advice.

My advice is, "check your sub box while you are messing with the amp"! My factory sub box literally fell apart and was 1/2 the RF recommended size required for best operation.

6 hours ago, BCM said:

I want the simplest replacement available that will still allow me to use the remote power adjustment.  Is the new RF P500X2 which replaces the P500-2 the best bet or are there other options that would be recommended?

Odds are, it will have to be another rockford. However, odds are not in your favor that the current 500/2 is compatible your 8-9 year old amp's remote level knob. 

As far as cables, wires and RCA, most any 2 chnl or mono in that same power class, that is comes with a remote level knob, should be a fairly straight forward swap. Its a bit more work to route the new cable and mount the new knob. 

Before going much further, I would test the woofer to make sure it was not the root cause of the smoked amp. Better to by an amp and woofer as package, then buy one then find you need the other.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Can I test the sub by hooking it up to one of the other amps (after disconnecting the other speakers)?  Sorry but I’m not that experienced when it comes to sound systems. 

Thats a hard way to go about doing it. The other amps are not set or tuned to drive a woofer, so unless you reset and re-tuned the test amp, you would get a false negative on the condition of the woofer. You would then have to return all those setting back as well as the previously removed wired. An ohm check with a basic DVOM will tell you real quick, alot about the woofer.