Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealership trouble on new boat purchase

ffsmo

I understand the salesman's frustration, but not his attitude.   I have done the commissioned IT sales gig for a lot of years.  It was highly annoying when someone used me to do all the leg work (and there can be a lot), then shop for a rock bottom price (from someone who does NONE of the work, and will do NONE of the customer service work after the sale).  But... I KEPT IT TO MYSELF.    Its annoying, but it is real world.   The way to earn business is to provide superior service to the customer.   My strategy was to convince them through my actions that they want to do business with me instead of the other guy.   It applies not only within a brand but across brands.   It was the most important competitive tool I had in my arsenal. 

I do not believe what you have experienced is a Malibu policy.   When I bought my '17 VLX,  my dealer did a TON of legwork, but they did not have a boat in inventory with the right collection of options/colors that I wanted.   I worked with them to develop a quote for a custom build of what I wanted, but also did my diligence to see what boats were available around the country that would meet my requirements.   Like you, I found one.  It was 800 miles away, and it was cheaper.   I talked to my local dealer, and they said they would service it (maintenance, and warranty).    They offer with new boats a package of maintenance service for three years... I had them quote me a price without that (to get apples and apples), but the remote boat was still cheaper (materially).   After much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands, I decided that the relationship with my local dealer was more important to me than the difference in the price.    For me, I was not buying a "boat", I was buying the quality time on the lake with my family and friends.   The season is short here in CO, so I do everything imaginable to avoid downtime.   Being able to get my boat in for service and turned quickly was(IS) a BIG deal to me.    I decided to custom order from my local dealer.  It was without question the right answer.   I have been treated VERY well, and I have yet to lose a weekend.  

I would talk to the sales manager, realizing that COULD burn the bridge with the salesman (who may get his arse chewed for reacting like that).   But just my opinion, I would try to rebuild/repair a relationship with the dealer.   I get the point of those who suggest doing your own maintenance, and that is a viable option, but if you have a significant warranty issue, that has the potential to lead to a lot of downtime.   To me, its like paying for a new boat, but getting a used one from a cost of operation perspective - unless you are willing to drive 200 miles every time you have a warranty issue.   I have had a couple that have required multiple trips to bring to resolution (and one that frankly is still not resolved). 

Just my $0.02... YMMV...

• Like 3

There's an aspect of triage to a boat dealers service department.  Successful dealers sell a lot of boats.  They hope they're selling to repeat customers.  They try to make them repeat customers through all the normal methods including taking care of them with a priority in service.  If they become a shop for every boat in the neighborhood it's hard to do that and give their priority to clients with their boats.

I know my dealer's service department is very busy so some kind of priority needs to be implemented.  That's really the only grey area within which any of this can be discussed.  A dealer with good sales skills and the long view will try to convert folks with other boats to buy a new boat from them by demonstrating how good a dealer they are.  Maybe you don't get front of the line, but you get something reasonable.  A short-sighted dealer is going to be some degree of spiteful about it.

Bottom Line.  If their service department is always full up with the attitudes in place whatever they are, then there's no motivation to change.

Not for much of the work but oil changes are not one.  What may be dicey is things like timed maintenance but I did my own. I think many things not only boats want you to use a dealer but if the service is done I don't think it would stand up if it got to court. My dealer was willing to work with me I am somewhat in your boat. The dealer is two hours away and as I said I have a very good understanding of boats , cars and such.  If  A warranty is going to be void A dealer / manufacturer will need to show neglect.  I don't know your skills and some people should not own a hammer or screwdriver.  

2 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

There's an aspect of triage to a boat dealers service department.  Successful dealers sell a lot of boats.  They hope they're selling to repeat customers.  They try to make them repeat customers through all the normal methods including taking care of them with a priority in service.  If they become a shop for every boat in the neighborhood it's hard to do that and give their priority to clients with their boats.

I know my dealer's service department is very busy so some kind of priority needs to be implemented.  That's really the only grey area within which any of this can be discussed.  A dealer with good sales skills and the long view will try to convert folks with other boats to buy a new boat from them by demonstrating how good a dealer they are.  Maybe you don't get front of the line, but you get something reasonable.  A short-sighted dealer is going to be some degree of spiteful about it.

Bottom Line.  If their service department is always full up with the attitudes in place whatever they are, then there's no motivation to change.

Yeper  Dealers in four season areas have problems even keeping and paying hi quality work force all year. Our boat dealers have issues that auto dealers and other things don't.  If people brought boats in on the off season it helps but many bring boats in at the start or end of the season and expect to get quick turnaround. That is a big sales time as well as servicing the existing customers. 

19 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Name the dealer.... BURN THEM!!!!! lol :Tease3:

Haha, Not yet.

17 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I understand the salesman's frustration, but not his attitude.   I have done the commissioned IT sales gig for a lot of years.  It was highly annoying when someone used me to do all the leg work (and there can be a lot), then shop for a rock bottom price (from someone who does NONE of the work, and will do NONE of the customer service work after the sale).  But... I KEPT IT TO MYSELF.    Its annoying, but it is real world.   The way to earn business is to provide superior service to the customer.   My strategy was to convince them through my actions that they want to do business with me instead of the other guy.   It applies not only within a brand but across brands.   It was the most important competitive tool I had in my arsenal. 

I do not believe what you have experienced is a Malibu policy.   When I bought my '17 VLX,  my dealer did a TON of legwork, but they did not have a boat in inventory with the right collection of options/colors that I wanted.   I worked with them to develop a quote for a custom build of what I wanted, but also did my diligence to see what boats were available around the country that would meet my requirements.   Like you, I found one.  It was 800 miles away, and it was cheaper.   I talked to my local dealer, and they said they would service it (maintenance, and warranty).    They offer with new boats a package of maintenance service for three years... I had them quote me a price without that (to get apples and apples), but the remote boat was still cheaper (materially).   After much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands, I decided that the relationship with my local dealer was more important to me than the difference in the price.    For me, I was not buying a "boat", I was buying the quality time on the lake with my family and friends.   The season is short here in CO, so I do everything imaginable to avoid downtime.   Being able to get my boat in for service and turned quickly was(IS) a BIG deal to me.    I decided to custom order from my local dealer.  It was without question the right answer.   I have been treated VERY well, and I have yet to lose a weekend.  

I would talk to the sales manager, realizing that COULD burn the bridge with the salesman (who may get his arse chewed for reacting like that).   But just my opinion, I would try to rebuild/repair a relationship with the dealer.   I get the point of those who suggest doing your own maintenance, and that is a viable option, but if you have a significant warranty issue, that has the potential to lead to a lot of downtime.   To me, its like paying for a new boat, but getting a used one from a cost of operation perspective - unless you are willing to drive 200 miles every time you have a warranty issue.   I have had a couple that have required multiple trips to bring to resolution (and one that frankly is still not resolved). 

Just my $0.02... YMMV...

No I totally get the commission thing. My wife is commission only and I do real estate on the side so I feel his frustration. Thats why i didn't blow him off and just get the pretty boat. I am trying to be cool as possible for the time and effort he has put in.

12 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Not for much of the work but oil changes are not one.  What may be dicey is things like timed maintenance but I did my own. I think many things not only boats want you to use a dealer but if the service is done I don't think it would stand up if it got to court. My dealer was willing to work with me I am somewhat in your boat. The dealer is two hours away and as I said I have a very good understanding of boats , cars and such.  If  A warranty is going to be void A dealer / manufacturer will need to show neglect.  I don't know your skills and some people should not own a hammer or screwdriver.  

I am handy enough, and besides...."My old man is a television repair man, he's got this ultimate set of tools.I can fix it."

seriously though, I did most of my normal maintenance on my 01, hopefully the 17/18s are easier. That darn impeller was in a tricky spot back then.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

So just a thought here, not in relation to the why or why not dealers do what they do because we can't really answer that. Only they can.

If you feel handy enough to do basic maintenance, then you really only need to have a solution in place for potential warranty issues. As mentioned above a Malibu dealer cannot reject warranty work. I am not sure where you are located, but if you have an off season maybe your local dealer can take care of it over the off season when you don't need the boat for a few months? Maybe propose that to the Sales/Service/General Manager of your local dealer. OR make the 200 mile trip in the off season for the potential warranty work.

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

What I was getting at was that Malibu doesn't seem to require dealers service all Malibu's, regardless of where they were purchased, like auto manufactures do.  This would give the consumer the sense that Malibu stands behind their product, instead of just leaving it up to the whim of individual dealers.

Malibus stance is that if youre a Malibu dealer you perform warranty work, no matter where the boat comes from.

Warranty service need to be performed by a Malibu dealer. But regular service can be done anywhere.

6 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I had communicated with a couple of different dealerships when I was looking for a boat.  I bought my boat from a dealer farther away.  I told the dealer closer to me that I had already bought a boat that I liked for the price I liked.  He told me "no problem.  If you need any service done let us know."  Most places want to do service work.  Not sure if boats are like cars, but most dealers make their money doing service more than selling the cars.

Dealers repeatedly come on these boards and say the opposite.    It explains the behaviors we see all the time as well, so I believe it, even though I don't fully understand how a shop doesn't create much profit given the hourly rate they charge.  

It seems like a boat swap would be a perfect solution.  

I had a fairly expensive item go out under warranty, and I am confident that no boat manufacturer would send me the parts and let me fix it.  I wish they would, given the slow nature of my local Nautique dealership.  

A booming economy brings problems for boat dealerships...They sell more boats, but have an even harder time keeping techs who won't go to other booming industries for more steady work.   And boat dealerships never raise wages adequately to compete.  

You've been told a few times to elevate to the manager or owner.  I could not agree more.  And as one person pointed out, you'll learn from that experience whether or not you even want to give them any of your business for any reason.

As for concern about the warranty and who does maintenance......look up "Magnusson Moss Warranty Act."  Basically, the only way they can mandate who does your service in terms of the warranty is if they do it without charging you.

Side note.  I have an extra Mityvac oil extractor pump (https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532022305&sr=8-3&keywords=mityvac+fluid+extractor).  Something like 12L, it is a big one.  It is still in the box - I had misplaced my other one, and ordered a replacement.  Ended up finding the original hiding in the wheel well of the chassis of a car I'm restoring before I ever opened the new one.  So if you decide to do your maintenance and want it, I'll be happy to give you a deal on it.

10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

So you thought it was a heck of a deal until you found out that there is not a special price for you? 

I realize how that sounds, I just find it hard to believe his sales manager discounted heavily to the advertised price. Took a half hour  of dealership back and forth when he should have just said what it is. I know it’s a game, they need to make money, I want to save money. A month from now I will have forgotten this experience and will be enjoying boating again and they won’t even remember my name.

2 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Dan is awesome! I've talked to him a few times.

Although malibu has no power over the dealerships since they are not franchised, it made me keep faith in the product when he followed up on my inquiry. Very happy with my decision.

10 hours ago, COOP said:

Malibus stance is that if youre a Malibu dealer you perform warranty work, no matter where the boat comes from.

Warranty service need to be performed by a Malibu dealer. But regular service can be done anywhere.

At no timeframe..

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lees23 said:

At no timeframe..

He called Malibu and they pulled some strings for him. Why don;t you try being happy for him and not still dragging the situation down.

It's the same across the industry. Has been for many years and honestly I doubt it will change.

Want it to change, take them all on.

It's like knowing you have a bum leg but constantly complaining about it. You know that it is how it is. Accept it and move along. You don't have to like it.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
7 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

He called Malibu and they pulled some strings for him. Why don;t you try being happy for him and not still dragging the situation down.

It's the same across the industry. Has been for many years and honestly I doubt it will change.

Want it to change, take them all on.

It's like knowing you have a bum leg but constantly complaining about it. You know that it is how it is. Accept it and move along. You don't have to like it.

Yikes... I wasn’t trying to be negative.  Sorry to upset you.

Reading these boards for years, I still think you are not real bright if you think you will get good service for warranty work at the ugly boat dealership.  Maybe they will treat you right in winter when they are struggling to find enough to do, but I bet they will not forget the time they wasted on you when they are busy.   They won't forget the guy who caused corporate to question their business practices. 

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Yikes... I wasn’t trying to be negative.  Sorry to upset you.

Sorry, wasn't necessarily you. It just seems like you see people bringing this up all of the time like it is something new or is a uniquely Malibu problem.

While I don't agree with the practice, it is what it is. No one should be surprised by it. We all have dealt with this for years.

Right... I agree, it’s very frustrating and I know that it happens with all brands(I have 4 different brand, new boats).  My point is that Malibu doesn’t really have any say about dealership service timelines.

I was lucky enough to find a dealer somewhat close that has very helpful getting my boat in to be repaired.   

On 7/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, ffsmo said:

I was told from "ugly boat" dealer  that per Malibu, services need to be done by an authorized service center to keep the warranty in check. Is this another line of crap I'm being fed? If so , I don't see why this dealership and the salesperson gets such glowing reviews online.

Yes it is crap but you must document yours , easy to do with phone pictures that are dated