Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp into protect mode

Surfdrake

I have a 2010 Malibu wakesetter 23lsv. My stereo setup is: 4 rev10s, wetsounds 420sq , factory Rockford in boat speakers, a sundown sa12. Powering them is a wetsounds sd2 for the towers and a wetsounds syn-dx6 powering the in boats and a sub. The factory Rockford amp powering the in boat speakers was going into protect mode when the volume is around 75%. I put the new wetsounds syn-dx6 in its place to hopefully cure the problem. Now my wetsounds amp is going into protect mode also. I have all 8 in boat speakers wired to 2 ohms going to the amp. I’ve tried unplugging different channels to narrow the problem down but the amp still goes in protect mode when the volume is up. What would cause this problem?

Does the amp flash a code? Have you measure the impedance of the woofer circuit and all 4 speaker pair circuits to see what they are? Voltage at the amp?

Dont forget that your audio equipment dealer can also be an avenue for support for you.  

Yes it’s flashing the thermal protection for channels 1 or 2. I’ve disconnected channels 1 and 2 but I still get the same code. I’ve double checked the ohms on all speakers with the multimeter, all coming back to 2 ohms. I wonder, under load, if the ohms drop a hair under 2 ohms? 

Yes, completely normal for the nominal impedance to fluctuate under load. The amp should be designed to deal with it, as its expected. Try running one of the suspect chnls at 4 ohm, by removing one speaker from the circuit at a time. Other chnl remains at 2 ohm. Slow process, but you can isolate all 4 speakers at the end. Also moving the 1/2 speaker connectors to 3/4 and 3/4 over to 1/2 and see if if the problem moves or stays. 

Okay I’m gonna try that tonight. Hopefully I can figure it out before the weekend so I can hit the water. Thanks for your help!