Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat dies when blower switch is turned on

ebloom

Let me start by saying I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I want to learn.  My issue:  Boat starts, but dies when I switch the blower on (I always run it for a few minutes before starting normally) or anything else but the stereo.  I started it and flipped the bilge on and it died as well.  I was getting a large volt drain and alarm to 9.2 volts after running it a bit.  I had a similar problem a week ago, but then didn't have a problem with it for a couple of more outings.  I'm thinking the alternator or maybe a bad ground somewhere.  Any help on where to start would be fantastic.  It is a 2002 Malibu Sunscape 23 lsv with 460 hrs.

And so it goes on..  I cleaned terminals and checked for loose wires.  Flipped the blower on- nothing flipped the bilge- noting, flipped the horn- nothing, hit the dash above the bilge switch with my hand and it turned on.  Started the boat just fine.  Voltage isn't dropping.  Turn everything off and flip the switches and everything works.  My fear is that something is loose in back and shorting it out and I'm going to get stuck later.  Is there a good way to look for something loose?  Is this tied to the ignition?  My other aux switches work and don't short anything.

pull the battery cables off and get under the dash and start chasing wires.  It's not too bad to trace them.  Sounds to me like you have something loose or shorting right in the dash area.

Sounds like a dead short/ground issue that is killing something like spark (distributor) or fuel (fuel pump). Does it sputter and die, or just hard stop like turning off the key?

Try pulling the wires (once labeled correctly) on the back of the blower switch and turning the blower on by running 12v to the harness. It could be something weird going on inside a dying switch too.

UGH.  Now I start it, runs fine.  showing 13.6 volts with blower on.  Turn it off.  Wait 10min and I have no power to at all (first time that has happened).  Batteries are all testing good.

4 minutes ago, ebloom said:

UGH.  Now I start it, runs fine.  showing 13.6 volts with blower on.  Turn it off.  Wait 10min and I have no power to at all (first time that has happened).  Batteries are all testing good.

Batteries are testing good how....just from reading a voltage level? Might need to take them to your local battery dealer (AutoZone, Napa etc...) and have them load tested. Just an idea if it is battery related (but I'm leaning towards and intermittent short to ground somewhere).

Bob