Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

yet another board

racer808

Really just want to know the thoughts on the Inland Surfer Flyboy James Walker?  Thinking about buying a used one, but for the price there are a lot of other options out there.  I currently ride a Inland Sweet Spot & love the board.  I have rode a couple soulcrafts & I don't really like them.  I want a fast board that gets air, tired of my baby airs.  Anyone ride the Flyboy?  Anyone have anything to compare it to?  Other suggestions for a fast & easy to air out board?

I’ve rode them since they came out, really fast and turn quite quick. Older ones are about a pound lighter, surfs a lot like a phase 5 aku . Weight limit is about 175 for the regular one. 

18 minutes ago, surfdude said:

I’ve rode them since they came out, really fast and turn quite quick. Older ones are about a pound lighter, surfs a lot like a phase 5 aku . Weight limit is about 175 for the regular one. 

What's the regular one?  Aren't all of them 4'6"?  I am 190.  But my sweet spot is 4'6" as well I believe & I ride the hell out of that thing

Neither boards are aerial boards or set up for airs. The flyboy is a hybrid set up for spins originally. It was modified down the line with more volume to make it better for airs as the air game became the dominant part of competitive wakesurfing.

If you want to up your air game best to look at a more modern aerial board. A better aerial board will assist, but it is also about technique.

Nick

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Neither boards are aerial boards or set up for airs. The flyboy is a hybrid set up for spins originally. It was modified down the line with more volume to make it better for airs as the air game became the dominant part of competitive wakesurfing.

If you want to up your air game best to look at a more modern aerial board. A better aerial board will assist, but it is also about technique.

Nick

Got any board suggestions?  Only reason I'm on board with the Flyboy is price.  I rode a soulcraft Voodoo & thought it felt bulky but I didn't get enough time with it.  I like that the Flyboy seems to spin & jump.  Don't like that it's impossible to demo more boards

Yeah, I get it, the demo thing is can be an issue. Yeah, and price may be the thing, if it is a good deal then it is a good deal. The original flyboys are generally regarded as better than the inland versions made in thailand.

Any suggestion likely puts me up against the forums terms of usage. 

They made it in 2 sizes, the bigger one is pretty heavy, and slower. I had an old sweet spot, a long time ago and got tired of pearling it. Sold it and bought a shred stick Jamako, great board in its time!

Edited by surfdude

I ended up ordering it, we got to an agreeable price that was in the "eff it, just buy it' range.  Hopefully have it before the weekend.  

On 6/19/2018 at 2:55 PM, racer808 said:

Got any board suggestions?  Only reason I'm on board with the Flyboy is price.  I rode a soulcraft Voodoo & thought it felt bulky but I didn't get enough time with it.  I like that the Flyboy seems to spin & jump.  Don't like that it's impossible to demo more boards

Bulky? Really? Probably some of the lighter boards out there...

On 6/22/2018 at 10:45 AM, nohlan4 said:

Bulky? Really? Probably some of the lighter boards out there...

Bulky doesn’t have anything to do with weight, it’s it size.  Like a light box that’s hard to carry cause it’s bulky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 6:19 AM, racer808 said:

Bulky doesn’t have anything to do with weight, it’s it size.  Like a light box that’s hard to carry cause it’s bulky.

Even then i don't see it compared to other boards like chaos or doomswell they are not bulky at all. Plus bulky just means volume, which some people need.