Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cab step recommendations

oldjeep

Any recommendations for some cab steps/running boards that don't rust out?  The new truck is a bit taller than the old one and my wife already had issues getting in and out of it when she is dressed up.   Looking for something that will survive sitting outside for years in the land of ice/snow and road chemicals

Don't really have a recommendation.  But I have looked at installing one on mine.  You notice I said one, on the passenger side, I don't want to deal with the humiliation of having one on the drivers side.

I've looked around a bunch over the last couple days and I'm pretty unimpressed with what I find.  If anyone knows of an aluminum cab step setup with aluminum brackets I would be interested.  Most of the stuff out there seems to be $200 junk with plastic end caps and mild steel brackets.  Need something that will last, as I tend to keep my trucks a long time.

I know they make some cast aluminum stirrup style (I think bully brand) but have not seen them up close so not sure of quality.

6 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I know they make some cast aluminum stirrup style (I think bully brand) but have not seen them up close so not sure of quality.

Those look interesting too

https://bullyusa.com/side-steps-aluminum-adjustable-steps-for-trucks.html

Edit - except that apparently they attach to the cab, not the frame

Edited by oldjeep

Everything will attach to the cab on that truck. Ram OEM has done so since 02 so aftermarket followed suit. Rockers have gotten stronger and there's less leverage with the shorter reach.  

Those HDX boards are nice. The Bully/Carr stuff is complete junk. Poured form pot metal. Might last a year or two. One of the products I actually refused to sell when I was in that industry.

7 hours ago, jk13 said:

Everything will attach to the cab on that truck. Ram OEM has done so since 02 so aftermarket followed suit. Rockers have gotten stronger and there's less leverage with the shorter reach.  

Those HDX boards are nice. The Bully/Carr stuff is complete junk. Poured form pot metal. Might last a year or two. One of the products I actually refused to sell when I was in that industry.

Ugg - The idea of attaching them to sheet metal doesn't appeal to me much.  Seems like there should at least be some sort of sealer between the cab and brackets if that is the case.  Maybe I'll just get her a stool ;)

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, jk13 said:

Sounds like you used to do this for a living - do you recommend putting anything between the step mounts and the cab?  Some sort of liquid sealant, or even a super thin piece of rubber?  I did order a set, but my main concern is rust.

Thanks

Edited by oldjeep

I had the AMP research/BestTop retracting steps on my last Ram.  Single best mod I have ever had.  If I ever buy another p/u I will put those on.  tuck up out of the way when door is closed, drop low enough to really help shorter people getting in when door opens.  

8 minutes ago, ilovetrains said:

I had the AMP research/BestTop retracting steps on my last Ram.  Single best mod I have ever had.  If I ever buy another p/u I will put those on.  tuck up out of the way when door is closed, drop low enough to really help shorter people getting in when door opens.  

I really like the idea of the AMP steps, but the reviews up here in the land of ice and snow are pretty bad if your truck lives outside in the winter.

Does look like they make an "Extreme" version now that has dual motors for winter use

Edited by oldjeep
4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Sounds like you used to do this for a living - do you recommend putting anything between the step mounts and the cab?  Some sort of liquid sealant, or even a super thin piece of rubber?  I did order a set, but my main concern is rust.

Thanks

Problem there is every time you step on them you compress the rubber and eventually they loosen up. Best case I guess would be a little undercoating before and after installation.

4 hours ago, ilovetrains said:

Like @oldjeep mentioned, up here in the ice belt they last a year or two. Drive the truck in the slush all day, park it overnight, and it freezes solid. Motor tries to extend and fails. Otherwise if the limit switches do their job, all the pivot points rust up and they fail that way. I decided not to sell them after removing countless OEM and aftermarket versions (all made by AMP ) that had failed. Some shops would take your $2k and run, I tried to run that place a little better than that.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, oldjeep said:

I'm leaning towards these Westin HDX steps, I guess they make a powder coated Stainless version for $130 or so more than the steel version. 

56-534325-7.jpg

I put the ICI Magnum RT steps on my Tundra, similar to those Westin in design. I will say they are a bit slick when wet. Might want to get some extra non-skid tape for the tops, I plan to do that with mine before next winter sets in.

2 hours ago, Falko said:

I put the ICI Magnum RT steps on my Tundra, similar to those Westin in design. I will say they are a bit slick when wet. Might want to get some extra non-skid tape for the tops, I plan to do that with mine before next winter sets in.

Good to know.  On the hdx, those dimpled traction plates are removable so if they are bad for traction i coukd remove and use grip tape.