Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

old guys that ride

OLDGUY

1 hour ago, OLDGUY said:

This is my buddy Mike turns 60 on 5/30/18

20180521111103848.jpg

Don't know what age qualifies as Old Guys lol (I am older than most but younger than the rest ;) ) But I hope I am having this much fun when I am 60 as well...  AWESOME!!!

Edited by kerpluxal

Numbers are numbers but your as old as you let yourself except. I will be 67 in just over a month but at best maybe one youngster that can out ski me on a slalom run on our lake..  Our daily runs are at 35 off at 36 mph. I ski better now then ever in my life. The thing that I see my age A little is putting docks and lifts in. I know I don't have the strength of my younger years.  The guys I ski with are all + or -  10 years of me except one. Our oldest is nearing 70 had Polio as a youngster had both knees replaced but one of the guys that won't miss an outing other then if he is out of town.  We just keep the Doc's in new boats and cars. 

• Like 4

My crew is 54, 53, 53, 12 and 12.  We all surf, but the younger ones are the only ones to wakeboard any more. Us old guys kick butt on the surf board though.

• Like 2

I'm 52 but usually wakeboard with my wife or take some of my kids friends out.

They are in their 20s and love wakeboarding and surfing. Unfortunately, the old guys I know just want to sit and drink.

I'm 58 and the go to is Slalom - as the water conditions deteriorate I move to wakeboarding, then ultimately Surfing.  Age is a state of mind...and mine is young.  I typically back country ski with a bunch of 20 & 30 somethings.

• Like 4

Turning 60 in 2 wks and skiing better than at 50 or 40. Large part due to new gear technology, but even larger is getting in the course 2-3 times a week now. Body feels better and PB's keep coming. Only down side is the yard is suffering a bit this spring!  BTW Old Guys Rule I have at least 3 shirts and a sweatshirt that say so!

Edited by Rednucleus
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, jgates237 said:

58 and still trying to land that elusive invert. Hoping it may happen this year...

On what?

I've been wakeboarding for probably about 15 years now. Solid w2w HS and switch and can do all 180s with various grabs. Was working on the back roll for quite a while and was really close a couple of years back but then had some motocross injuries that set me back a bit. Since then I've had both my shoulders replaced so I'm now a bit apprehensive about trying the back roll again. Perhaps this year. I still ride but again it's just w2w stuff. Nothing impressive. 

2 hours ago, OLDGUY said:

I would be apprehensive to. As long as your having fun w2w is fine.

That's me too, W2W and lots of surface stuff.  Occasionally I'll go for the front roll, but I wonder what I'm risking each time I do it.

So last Saturday, May 19th, I turned 49.  The family was in all different directions with a plan to meet up for dinner.  My day was all dedicated to boat stuff.  Working on the boat lift at about 6pm, I go to slide it a bit and felt a pop in my calf, and it locked up and hurt like heck.  Instantly started swelling.  It's about a 70' steep hill back up to the house, and I'm by myself, no phone.  Got tools in my hand, standing there hopping on one foot like "you gotta be kidding me".  Hobbled sideways up the hill.  Hobbled out for burgers with the family.  Hobbled around the kitchen drinking Jameson from the bottle (it's my birthday, nobody can say s__t about it).  I thought my season was already over, but it's coming along OK, just a mild tear.  So there's one more weak link I gotta fix.  Happy Birthday!

44 in October and don't plan on slowing down...  Working on the whirlybird and indyGlide.  Only difference is that it takes me Monday-Wednesday to heal after my crashes :):)

scarecrow.jpg

Raley.jpg

indyTantrum.jpg

911.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, jgates237 said:

I've been wakeboarding for probably about 15 years now. Solid w2w HS and switch and can do all 180s with various grabs. Was working on the back roll for quite a while and was really close a couple of years back but then had some motocross injuries that set me back a bit. Since then I've had both my shoulders replaced so I'm now a bit apprehensive about trying the back roll again. Perhaps this year. I still ride but again it's just w2w stuff. Nothing impressive. 

The tantrum is an easier trick to learn first since it's a "trip flip" than the backroll.  Backroll is timing and pendulum/progressive edge trick and if you don't have all that together you will struggle with it.  For me on the backroll.  I edge halfway out, as I edge back in I begin my progressive edge by edging away from the boat more and more as I get closer to the wake.  By the time I'm at the wake, my board is actually going up the wake facing almost 5-10 degrees away from the direction of the boat pulling me.  As I release off the top of the wake, I shove my hands down to my forward hip with straight arms (I'm goofy so my right hip).  right at release, I look up and over my right shoulder and this naturally takes me into a big backroll without much effort really.

Wife has all beat, she was doing one wake hops at 59 last week, I’m now officially dead for writing this ! Oh and she can surf like an animal and a very rythmic slalom even behind the a20 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...