Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strut replacement needed?

Started getting some vibration at take off or if shaft was at all loaded with weeds. Looking like I need to replace the cutlass bushings. Here is a video of the shaft movement I have. Too much? It clunks when I push it up and down. 

What process is easier, removing shaft or strut? 

20180520_135227.mp4

The shaft has to come out either way. It might even be easier to do the cutlass bearings with the strut still on the boat providing you have the clearance underneath on the trailer. It would probably be kind of awkward to try and secure the strut it in a vice.

I did mine on the trailer.  Hardest part was dropping the rudder out. I had to lift the boat off the trailer to get it to come out.

Still doing mine. I elected to take the strut off as it’s bent anyway. Frankly, I’d do the same again. To drop the rudder would mean jacking the back of the boat off the trailer, and then removing the (full) tank to get to the rudder. No thanks. On the bench, getting the bearings out was easier than it would otherwise have been. I ended up cutting through them in two places before they yielded. 

Off to the repair man tomorrow to see what he says about straightening the strut. May just buy another with new bearings already pressed in. Not that that part worries me at all. 

Removing the shaft comes with removing the rudder.  From the looks of it, the cutlass bearings need to be replaced.  Not entirely sure your strut is bent.  I just replaced mine with some from Glide Seals, they slide in with only a little tapping.  Great company to deal with as well.      

Also, if you clear your shaft of the weeds, it should stop the vibrations, provided you have no other issues.  We catch some long ones around August on the way out to surf, I hop in, clear it and we are on our way.  Even one or two strands can cause some movement.  

10 hours ago, twitchee2 said:

I did mine on the trailer.  Hardest part was dropping the rudder out. I had to lift the boat off the trailer to get it to come out.

If you remove the 4 bolts holding the rudder housing assembly there was enough play to allow me to pull the whole rudder assembly to one side and out of the boat past the center trailer cage bar. Reassembly was just as easy. I shimmed the bottom of the whole assembly on the center trailer cage arm with 2x4s before I applied the silicone sealant. The fit for the recesssed allen bolts was tight enough from the old silicone that I could push them through the rudder housing and the hull to get a couple threads started on them in the bilge.

• 1 month later...
On 21/05/2018 at 8:11 PM, saxton15 said:

Removing the shaft comes with removing the rudder.  From the looks of it, the cutlass bearings need to be replaced.  Not entirely sure your strut is bent.  I just replaced mine with some from Glide Seals, they slide in with only a little tapping.  Great company to deal with as well.      

Also, if you clear your shaft of the weeds, it should stop the vibrations, provided you have no other issues.  We catch some long ones around August on the way out to surf, I hop in, clear it and we are on our way.  Even one or two strands can cause some movement.  

Have to do my strut bearings, thinking about using the glide ones. Are you happy with them in comparison to the brass/nitrile ones. Do they come in 2 pieces as well?

They do come in two pieces.  The Glide ones are amazing.  With the brass ones I always felt there was a bit of a drag and a low hum at idle.  With the glide ones, everything is smooth and very quiet.  Highly recommend them, plus they have top notch customer service.  There was a slight mix up with the diameter of my strut and they overnighted the replacement parts for me to complete the job.  Can't say enough good things about Tim and the folks at Glide.

Thanks very much for the reassurance. The fella that looks after my boat wasn't overly keen on me getting them, but from poking around a couple of forums it looks like Glide manufacture for others as well. My bloke is great, and loves everything genuine Malibu, but in Australia the prices get a bit nuts. The Australian distributor for Glide is quoting me a great price on the dripless seal and strut bearings. Reckon I will pull the trigger on it. Thanks for your input.

48 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

They do come in two pieces.  The Glide ones are amazing.  With the brass ones I always felt there was a bit of a drag and a low hum at idle.  With the glide ones, everything is smooth and very quiet.  Highly recommend them, plus they have top notch customer service.  There was a slight mix up with the diameter of my strut and they overnighted the replacement parts for me to complete the job.  Can't say enough good things about Tim and the folks at Glide.

I have about ten hours on a new set of glide bearings. It is good to read that saxton finds them quieter and smoother,  First few runs with them  I was thinking I was missing something as the drivetrain noise/hum/whatever is gone.    They are definitely much quieter and smoother running than the original brass/rubber set.   Although, in fairness to the OEM,  I am comparing the new glide to worn 19 year old brass/rubber bearings.