Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What the whaatttt?? Install help please!

Chopz

Heeyooo.... upgrading the cabin speakers in my 05 xti and am having major brain fart. I ordered 3 sets of 6.5 exile cabins as well as the javelin amp. The boat has from factory the crappy RF 6.5’s and a Sony 600w amp which I am repurposing to run a pair of pro60s for the time being.

So.... here’s the questions:

1. Pulled the HU and looking at the existing amp, there are only front and back rca outputs which run out of th HU and into the Sony amp. Do I split these to run both amps? For instance front would go to the Sony for the pro60s and rear would go to the javelin for the cabins?

2. Looking at the Sony amp as it sits from factory, there are 4  (+\-)  speaker wires ran to it, but there are 3 sets of cabin speakers...... dafuq?!🤔  Do I just transfer them over the way they sit to the javelin? Where the hell is the 3rd pair of speakers getting their power from?

Thanks for your help and in site!

PS. Haven’t even started trying to get the tower speaker wire into the boat yet, the illusion x was pre wired so the cans and everything are on, but not ran to the amp. 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, Chopz said:

Heeyooo.... upgrading the cabin speakers in my 05 xti and am having major brain fart. I ordered 3 sets of 6.5 exile cabins as well as the javelin amp. The boat has from factory the crappy RF 6.5’s and a Sony 600w amp which I am repurposing to run a pair of pro60s for the time being.

1. Pulled the HU and looking at the existing amp, there are only front and back rca outputs which run out of th HU and into the Sony amp. Do I split these to run both amps? For instance front would go to the Sony for the pro60s and rear would go to the javelin for the cabins?

2. Looking at the Sony amp as it sits from factory, there are 4  (+\-)  speaker wires ran to it, but there are 3 sets of cabin speakers...... dafuq?!🤔  Do I just transfer them over the way they sit to the javelin? Where the hell is the 3rd pair of speakers getting their power from?

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but if I were you I'd run an EQ (e.g. Exile ZLD or WS 420).  Then you'd run the RCA's from your headunit directly to the ZLD.  From there you'd run a dedicated set of RCA's to each of your amps as follows:

• Cabin - set of RCA's run from EQ to Javelin
  • Sub - set of RCA's run from EQ to Javelin (you didn't mention a sub, but I assume you have one)
  • Tower - set of RCA's run from EQ to Sony amp

Lots of benefits to doing it this way.  You have dedicated RCA's for each zone.  You get to control volume to each zone independently.  The EQ will boost the signal into the amps, which is a good thing.  And finally, there's a separate RCA input on the back of the EQ (i.e. in addition to the input for your headunit), which allows you to hook up your phone (via RCA to 3.5mm wire) or better yet, a BT controller so anybody can hook up their phone.  This "aux" input on the back of the EQ effectively bypasses the headunit altogether.  Once you do this, I will bet you never use your headunit again.  lol

Hey thanks for the reply and knowledge! I don’t have a sub...... yet, but plan on one in the next 2-3 seasons so got the javelin despite going a little over my budget so that I don’t have to add any amps or anything else in the future once I get to that point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:43 PM, Chopz said:

How many channels is the Sony amp?  Sounds like the amp is just powering two pairs of you inboats and the 3rd pair is probably running from the HU.  

As far as the RCA's you are going to have to run Y splitters or speaker wire to rca converter from the HU for your channels.  With that being said I strongly recommend what IXFE suggested. I opted for the Wet Sounds Ws220bt instead of the 420 because I wanted Bluetooth and zone control and it was half the price of the WS 420 from Abt.com.  They are a authorized WS dealer. 

Edited by Cazan