Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

I am ordering my 2019 tomorrow with my local dealer. Trading in my 2016 23 LSV with G4.... They wouldn't tell me any changes over the phone which was odd to me. Maybe they don't even know yet.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, MalibuMatty said:

I am ordering my 2019 tomorrow with my local dealer. Trading in my 2016 23 LSV with G4.... They wouldn't tell me any changes over the phone which was odd to me. Maybe they don't even know yet.

They have access to the 2019's in the dealer portal already?

21 minutes ago, MalibuMatty said:

They are probably not allowed to talk about the differences until they are officially revealed.

2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

NSS provides adjustability, and it serves to over-complicate surf setup and usually ends up just frustrating the owner.

I prefer the apple-like approach. Simple setup for the end-user. Let the experts that engineered it figure out the best settings.

Is there really a lot of frustrated owners though?! I mean..... if they have any common sense, or even a partially functioning brain, they can simply select the stock profile with full tab deployment.

Ive been active on PN for years and years, and haven't seen NSS adjustability to be any big frustrating issue at all.

Not to stir the pot too much, but that just seems like an excuse to defend the brand without adjustability. If they made surf gate adjustable, there would be a zillion threads about how awesome it was, and what little tweaks you could do with it.

Nobody here would be complaining if surf gate became adjustable. Especially if Malibu supplied a solid set of stock settings. Which I'm sure they would.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

NSS provides adjustability, and it serves to over-complicate surf setup and usually ends up just frustrating the owner.

I prefer the apple-like approach. Simple setup for the end-user. Let the experts that engineered it figure out the best settings.

We all know how often the guys at the factory seem to have no idea how to set these boats up for surfing.   One of the strengths of Malibu is that the surf wave is mostly just fill it up and hit the button.  Same is true of Nautique for the most part.  The stock setting works great for most average surfers (like me).  Take a look at the Centurion and tige forums and you will find all sorts of recipes for ballast settings and this and that, and it is a little crazy, IMHO.  I do not see that sort of machinations going on here.  

25 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Is there really a lot of frustrated owners though?! I mean..... if they have any common sense, or even a partially functioning brain, they can simply select the stock profile with full tab deployment.

Ive been active on PN for years and years, and haven't seen NSS adjustability to be any big frustrating issue at all.

Not to stir the pot too much, but that just seems like an excuse to defend the brand without adjustability. If they made surf gate adjustable, there would be a zillion threads about how awesome it was, and what little tweaks you could do with it.

Nobody here would be complaining if surf gate became adjustable. Especially if Malibu supplied a solid set of stock settings. Which I'm sure they would.

I agree for the most part, but there are a ton of long threads about which settings to use and where to put any extra lead.   I also agree those owners are generally not frustrated, just looking to get a little bit better.  It is sort of funny to me how often the answer for most guys usually ends up somewhere close to the stock 'surf' preset.  Usually a little faster, but otherwise very close to the stock setting, and 300 pounds in the nose.  

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't get this adjustability thing. What are you trying to accomplish with less gate? Less wake? Why not make your wedge a bit less aggressive. That adjusts the height of the wave. We run different amounts of wedge for advanced and beginner riders to adjust the wave from max to tame. I don't see a need to have two ways to adjust with what it would take to make the gates adjustable.

Really depends on the surf system style, and the individual hull to begin with. Some boats and systems are able to put out completely different wave shapes, depending on tab settings. The adjustability is not just limited to size/aggressiveness from adjusting the wedge, or center plate. 

Its hard to tell what a Bu would do, because surfgate hasn't ever been adjustable. It is possible, however, that a surfgate boat could be capable of producing a completely different wave shape that might be preferable to some owners. For instance, maybe a Bu owner wants an extremely vert wave, with a heavy lip on top. This could be a possibility, and that wave type is not a style that most Bu's are capable of.

Like I said though, different boats, and different systems behave differently. It's possible that reducing gate deflection might not change much of anything at all. But then again, it is possible that it could open up a whole bunch of new possibilities.

There are boats out there that can put out entirely different base wave shapes, and reach both sides of the spectrum for base wave shape. There are also models/systems that don't have a huge benefit. A G23 (2016+) is a good example of one. Adjusting NSS on a G doesn't add much benefit, and doesn't change the base wave shape of a G23. It's always going to be a very steep wave, that is ridiculously firm, and has a heavily defined lip. And just like Tall Red said, most will end up right back at a setting near stock. However, on the 210 and 230, and some other brands/models, drastic changes can be made with their base shape. 

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

The only G23 that I spend a lot of time in, the owner is constantly frustrated with their wave. However, that person also runs a lot more ballast than stock. As such, they are constantly tinkering with all of those stupid adjustments and it just always seems to make matters worse.

6 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The only G23 that I spend a lot of time in, the owner is constantly frustrated with their wave. However, that person also runs a lot more ballast than stock. As such, they are constantly tinkering with all of those stupid adjustments and it just always seems to make matters worse.

He should probably stop messing with the settings, until he gets the boat weighted correctly.... 

I guarantee that’s not a problem with settings. It’s a problem with adding a whole bunch of weight with the wrong ratio for front/rear balance. 

• Like 2

Really depends on the surf system style, and the individual hull to begin with. Some boats and systems are able to put out completely different wave shapes, depending on tab settings. The adjustability is not just limited to size/aggressiveness from adjusting the wedge, or center plate. 

Its hard to tell what a Bu would do, because surfgate hasn't ever been adjustable. It is possible, however, that a surfgate boat could be capable of producing a completely different wave shape that might be preferable to some owners. For instance, maybe a Bu owner wants an extremely vert wave, with a heavy lip on top. This could be a possibility, and that wave type is not a style that most Bu's are capable of.

Like I said though, different boats, and different systems behave differently. It's possible that reducing gate deflection might not change much of anything at all. But then again, it is possible that it could open up a whole bunch of new possibilities.

There are boats out there that can put out entirely different base wave shapes, and reach both sides of the spectrum for base wave shape. There are also models/systems that don't have a huge benefit. A G23 (2016+) is a good example of one. Adjusting NSS on a G doesn't add much benefit, and doesn't change the base wave shape of a G23. It's always going to be a very steep wave, that is ridiculously firm, and has a heavily defined lip. And just like Tall Red said, most will end up right back at a setting near stock. However, on the 210 and 230, and some other brands/models, drastic changes can be made with their base shape. 

We are talking Malibu boats here with adjustable gates. No concern at all what the other guys do. When I say gates, the other brands are out. The others have completely different systems and may need the adjustability. IMO there is no need with Malibu gates if you have the wedge and ballast options. 

• Like 2

If u own a 25 u would understand the need.. seriously it can't be that hard to understand this option if added.. if it is u should not buy a surf boat..  you pick your setting And it deploys to that position same as the powerwedge.. you put maybe three settings of deflection and you're good to go.. change the screen to have seven positions with the center one being stowed.. save it to the memory preset for the rider if you choose... You can simply change it on the Fly by touching the screen just like the power wedge under fly... 

Honestly this should be a software upgrade only.... If only I had some time to test the signal coming off to see if it's just a 0-5v 5 volt being fully deployed and zero Beeing retracted.. or if it's a pwm signal or other.. most of the Linco actuators are adjustable via their switch with four or five settings.. So depending on the signal I don't see why this can't this be a software issue...

I think we can all agree that the closer to the boat you are the firmer their wave is... I'll be the first one to admit on the 25 if you want to get closer to the boat and get a little bit Pop there's no lip there the wave is too washed out... If you watch that gate is deflecting so much water it's ridiculous if it came back a little bit I think the lip would form closer to the boat for better air.. but when you want a super long way for 360s and 720's or whatever you're good at it's better to have it deflected further.. 

He should probably stop messing with the settings, until he gets the boat weighted correctly.... 

I guarantee that’s not a problem with settings. It’s a problem with adding a whole bunch of weight with the wrong ratio for front/rear balance. 

Yeah, probably. The problem compounds itself when you add variables, though, and that's the point. You can already add and remove weight and you can already move the wedge.

Edited by boardjnky4
26 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Honestly this should be a software upgrade only.... If only I had some time to test the signal coming off to see if it's just a 0-5v 5 volt being fully deployed and zero Beeing retracted.. or if it's a pwm signal or other.. most of the Linco actuators are adjustable via their switch with four or five settings.. So depending on the signal I don't see why this can't this be a software issue...

The actuators for the surfgates don't have a position sensor, so it would be a bit more than software only. The sensor on them is only an open/closed reed switch.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

The actuators for the surfgates don't have a position sensor, so it would be a bit more than software only. The sensor on them is only an open/closed reed switch.

So the surf gate actuators are confirmed this way unlike the standard Linco ones? So I'm wondering if the 2013 and 2014 units that use standard lincos would have the position sensors or no? 

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Correct. When they went to the hydraulic actuators they went to the reed switch.

ahopkins22LSV

Well I stopped in today. They can’t quite see everything yet, but hopefully in the next week or two! Should be done pretty cool announcements coming too.

Also figured I should own one of these things now...D4880E62-4DA5-48AB-B34A-C94A75D51E47.thumb.jpeg.87978156ded008190df5f5fe5e63f1aa.jpeg

5 hours ago, The Hulk said:

If u own a 25 u would understand the need.. seriously it can't be that hard to understand this option if added.. if it is u should not buy a surf boat..  you pick your setting And it deploys to that position same as the powerwedge.. you put maybe three settings of deflection and you're good to go.. change the screen to have seven positions with the center one being stowed.. save it to the memory preset for the rider if you choose... You can simply change it on the Fly by touching the screen just like the power wedge under fly... 

I think we can all agree that the closer to the boat you are the firmer their wave is... I'll be the first one to admit on the 25 if you want to get closer to the boat and get a little bit Pop there's no lip there the wave is too washed out... If you watch that gate is deflecting so much water it's ridiculous if it came back a little bit I think the lip would form closer to the boat for better air.. but when you want a super long way for 360s and 720's or whatever you're good at it's better to have it deflected further.. 

Had the chance to go out with Austin Keen on a 25LSV, had about 10 people in the boat, PNP, lead, wedge on 2, seemed pretty good to me.  Looked like he was able to get pretty far back as well some pop up close