Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

You think that what you just wrote makes sense? ha

Just joking around of course, please don't take that seriously. Doesn't really matter, anyway. From a marketing standpoint, nobody in the real world cares what it means, or the history behind it. They care about what they associate with the acronym.

5 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'm saying it used to sortof make sense.  Now it's just all screwy.

This from the company whose 25th and 30th anniversaries were six years apart?  Not surprising?

17 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Why is the 20 the only one called a VTX?

V = V drive

T = Three sport

X = Crossover

Just my guess........

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

Those metal plates in front of the window? 

Looks like the air intake is raised and those metal plates are on top? I like it, sharp look. Might get hot in the sun... 

Am I wrong, or doesn’t it look like the surf pipe is not integrated into the wedge as others have lead on? If that’s the case, what’s the difference between PW2 and PW3?

Edited by SCMike

Total guess but I assume when the pipe is before the wedge it kills any spray at higher speed (it exists) and maybe they gave more incremental adjustment.  Total guess but at some point we are down to incremental gains.  What more can they do but  milk it???...

but but wedge 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 is not as good as power edge  I, II,III

Maybe we should call it the Wedge 2S instead?

Edited by store934
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, SCMike said:

Am I wrong, or doesn’t it look like the surf pipe is not integrated into the wedge as others have lead on? If that’s the case, what’s the difference between PW2 and PW3?

You are technically right because it’s not like it is plumbed into the wedge (can’t think of a better way of saying that). But both the wedge and the pipe were completely redesigned so the pipe can tuck behind the wedge. It’s a much more clean design and it also keeps the pipe further away from people in the water. 

The wedge itself is not bigger but it’s mounted higher, basically all the way up to the platform so it has more angle. Lift works better and you have more degree of adjustment.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

You are technically right because it’s not like it is plumbed into the wedge (can’t think of a better way of saying that). But both the wedge and the pipe were completely redesigned so the pipe can tuck behind the wedge. It’s a much more clean design and it also keeps the pipe further away from people in the water. 

The wedge itself is not bigger but it’s mounted higher, basically all the way up to the platform so it has more angle. Lift works better and you have more degree of adjustment.

I really like how the surfpipe is routed.  If I could get something like that for my 18, I would be all about it.  Looks like it would keep the spray to a minimum at wakeboard speeds, which is why I passed on the pipe in the first place. Maybe FAE will redesign theirs after seeing the new Malibu design. 

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, SCMike said:

I really like how the surfpipe is routed.  If I could get something like that for my 18, I would be all about it.  Looks like it would keep the spray to a minimum at wakeboard speeds, which is why I passed on the pipe in the first place. Maybe FAE will redesign theirs after seeing the new Malibu design. 

I think @rugger made his own to route the same was PW3 does. Not sure if if it possible on PW2 though. The hydraulic actuator is complete re-positioned and so is the whole wedge itself.

1 minute ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I think @rugger made his own to route the same was PW3 does. Not sure if if it possible on PW2 though. The hydraulic actuator is complete re-positioned and so is the whole wedge itself.

I saw that thread.  Holy crap he does amazing work! FAE needs to step up their game, haha!

On 7/14/2018 at 7:44 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

I heard about the new pipe on this thread so was wondering how they did it.    Looks awesome.   

But now I see it's actually not that similar to mine.   Looks like they kept it coming out the traditional exhaust ports and then back up and then down again in front of the foil, via a cutout on the bracket maybe.   It's a sweet upgrade for sure... actually looks more like the surf pipe on the Axis through the manual wedge than mine.    

Mine routed a little more direct... straight from the manifolds down through the wedge to the water.   Same result though and completely out of the way.   I never even added the "tear drop" shape (pinch the front of tube to reduce drag) because it doesn't spray and the pipe is transparent performance-wise, so we just left it.   Or at least any spray gets absorbed by the wedge/box.    

SP.thumb.jpg.f4a24eb7783263a86f7fe3c5ffcd17c6.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 7:47 AM, SCMike said:

I saw that thread.  Holy crap he does amazing work! FAE needs to step up their game, haha!

Thank you.   Partial credit to the DIY army over on Wake Garage for that.   Good dudes to learn from.    Wish I'd have done it last summer!!   

Curious to hear more about the new PW3's other functions.     Does it get more lift?   I've never owned the PW2 but I do see the benefits of the lift for sure.    Wish I had one.

Glad Malibu is listening to customers for the 2019s.    Boy are these boats are getting technically advanced!  :thumbup:

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, rugger said:

I heard about the new pipe on this thread so was wondering how they did it.    Looks awesome.   

But now I see it's actually not that similar to mine.   Looks like they kept it coming out the traditional exhaust ports and then back up and then down again in front of the foil, via a cutout on the bracket maybe.   It's a sweet upgrade for sure... actually looks more like the surf pipe on the Axis through the manual wedge than mine.    

Mine routed a little more direct... straight from the manifolds down through the wedge to the water.   Same result though and completely out of the way.   I never even added the "tear drop" shape (pinch the front of tube to reduce drag) because it doesn't spray and the pipe is transparent performance-wise, so we just left it.   Or at least any spray gets absorbed by the wedge/box.    

SP.thumb.jpg.f4a24eb7783263a86f7fe3c5ffcd17c6.jpg

Thank you.   Partial credit to the DIY army over on Wake Garage for that.   Good dudes to learn from.    Wish I'd have done it last summer!!   

Curious to hear more about the new PW3's other functions.     Does it get more lift?   I've never owned the PW2 but I do see the benefits of the lift for sure.    Wish I had one.

Glad Malibu is listening to customers for the 2019s.    Boy are these boats are getting technically advanced!  :thumbup:

You did an awesome job man, there is no doubt in that!

Yeah with the new mounting behind higher you can get more angle for lift. They also adjusted the increments of wake shaping. In my experience across many PW2 Boats we never used anything past halfway between ramp and vert. So if they broaden that range, that is a huge improvement too. I don’t know anyone using anything near vert.