Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Huh. Good point. I don’t thing vtx and 23 lsv have ever had different base motors but maybe this is the year?

Yeah this year would be the first year they would be different IF they are.

7 hours ago, rugger said:

Do they run a muffler with surf pipe?   Is the surf pipe an option?

No muffler with the surf pipe. Not positive but I heard any PW equipped boat will come with the surf pipe standard.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
oops....
2 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

What’s the big deal about the H6 direct injection?

slight bump in improved Hp/Tq?

Improved power/torque and improved economy from what I have heard.

2 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

No muffler with the surf pipe. Not positive but I heard any PW equipped boat will come with the PW standard.

I think you are saying PW equipped boats will come with the surf pipe standard?

7 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

I think you are saying PW equipped boats will come with the surf pipe standard?

Oops, yes.

Not enough coffee yet and sausage fingers.

23 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

That’s not correct. It’s already been stated in this thread that the base engine is the 6.0 409... or whatever crusader/challenger calls it. It is the same as the axis base engine. Not sure what the upgraded engine options are. 

@ahopkinsTXi Do you know if the PCM 409 is doing the reverse cooling system like Indmar? or maybe PCM has a different cooling method?  I had the Indmar 409 in my 22VLX, I really liked the engine power but the cooling system experience I had was terrible.  I had a lot of issues launching the boat and having it prime without having to rev the engine up to 3000 RPMS for 5 seconds.   If I did not do this the engine would spike to 200+, this cycle would repeat itself every time I launched the boat.  Indmar was aware of it but had no answer other than neutral locking and reving the motor.  Hopefully PCM has done some plumbing upgrades to avoid this from happening.  I tried every trick in the book (with my dealer) and finally drilling out the thermostat seemed to help or at least keep in check (185ish) until I exceeded 3000 RPMs.

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Fman said:

@ahopkinsTXi Do you know if the PCM 409 is doing the reverse cooling system like Indmar? or maybe PCM has a different cooling method?  I had the Indmar 409 in my 22VLX, I really liked the engine power but the cooling system experience I had was terrible.  I had a lot of issues launching the boat and having it prime without having to rev the engine up to 3000 RPMS for 5 seconds.   If I did not do this the engine would spike to 200+, this cycle would repeat itself every time I launched the boat.  Indmar was aware of it but had no answer other than neutral locking and reving the motor.  Hopefully PCM has done some plumbing upgrades to avoid this from happening.  I tried every trick in the book (with my dealer) and finally drilling out the thermostat seemed to help or at least keep in check (185ish) until I exceeded 3000 RPMs.

From my understanding it is the same as what they are putting in Axis so how ever that cooling is routed. I haven’t heard of those issues though. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

No muffler with the surf pipe. Not positive but I heard any PW equipped boat will come with the surf pipe standard.

Does PCM ever spec a muffler tho?  They have that reverse collector thing where the manifolds come together into one on the back of the engine (front of the boat)... I don't know that I've ever seen a muffler after that?  ICBW.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

From my understanding it is the same as what they are putting in Axis so how ever that cooling is routed. I haven’t heard of those issues though. 

I have the same issue.

9 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

So, there will be pcm in 2019 Malibu boats?!  What about the Malibu engine?

please read last five pages.  Then come report back with answer.

2 hours ago, Fman said:

FWIW, not an issue on my closed-cooled version of pcm 6.0, but it could be that the coolant-filled block masks the issue?  I don't think we've ever launched and idled for such a long time that the boat could get past "sorta warmed up."

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Does PCM ever spec a muffler tho?  They have that reverse collector thing where the manifolds come together into one on the back of the engine (front of the boat)... I don't know that I've ever seen a muffler after that?  ICBW.

I think Malibu specs the muffler.

2 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I think Malibu specs the muffler.

Where does it go tho?  I mean I don't think they spec'd it in my 16 axis with close cooled 6.0/450 (zr450)...

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Where does it go tho?  I mean I don't think they spec'd it in my 16 axis with close cooled 6.0/450 (zr450)...

It's buried right at the transom. I got a friend to send me a picture of the tag on his. It's a small muffler.

YedyGuT.jpg

48 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

FWIW, not an issue on my closed-cooled version of pcm 6.0, but it could be that the coolant-filled block masks the issue?  I don't think we've ever launched and idled for such a long time that the boat could get past "sorta warmed up."

Yeah my 409 was not closed cooling so I am not sure what the difference would be and it would not take long to over heat... like launching at Emerald Bay at bullards and by the time we hit the 5mph zone by houseboats the alarm was going off.  It was annoying as heck, once the engine was primed it would run at 165 all day long.  Just the initial launch... It would be really interesting to see if PCM actually did change the cooling system vs Indmar.  This problem on the Indmar 409 was more common than most realize, especially for people who had to idle out of a 5 mph zone.  If you just launched and took off to your ride spot within a reasonable amount of time it would never be an issue.

Edited by Fman
6 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It's buried right at the transom. I got a friend to send me a picture of the tag on his. It's a small muffler.

Excellent!  I'm gonna have to look for mine one of these days.

21 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

But I think you have the same Indmar engine @Fman did. Hopefully not an issue in these new for Malibu engines. 

Correct. I was just stating from experience that Fman was not alone.  I should think that the cooling issue would be resolved as it is apparently a known problem.  

Edited by hunter77ah
20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

So do we know which boats are coming with the malibu motor?  Im still not super clear on that.