Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 VLX - Considering purchasing

Asmodeus2112

On 5/20/2018 at 7:18 AM, braindamage said:

Pics?

Pics are from the PO, but all I have at the moment. It needs and is getting some TLC. I see some wet sanding in my future. Trailer has discs on both axles, which I am pretty happy about...

DfLC9t2wfDRAAZxEhVV3s51LJI0v4fDEgyiSvBUn

x-3xA26BpSJ4BiBeuR9ypr2DQ8JR-y1IQemGMhDH

• Like 1
On 5/20/2018 at 8:46 AM, UWSkier said:

Did you move your LXi already? 

Yessir, sold it last fall. Finally bought an Evolution cover for that boat, wondered why I waited so long. 

8_t0ecDEguDQ1aa8eqYT2nc8_q5-3TWLG3gDJ3KE

1 hour ago, braindamage said:

Gelcoat doesn’t look too bad. I’d try a good compounding first. Mine looked worse and  I didn’t have to wet sand.

I hope so. On my LXi I tried compounding and never got the results I wanted. But I know that is more my inexperience than anything. I really have to figure out the right tools and products  to use. I know it's not an easy job, but more the reason to invest in figuring out the best way to get it done. My LXi had bad sunburn, and I had to resort to wet sanding, which wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Definitely don't want to wet sand if I don't have too.

Before:

PlajigxA5oM0imgGHFLTG-xhRJPBsXDiBFd2MGzL

After:

pcYQUUceMUviiZhRDC-YcwTLth2yjc6HVcTaH0X-

• Like 2

Red is a tough color to keep shining.  I'd start out with an ultimate oxidization compound with a cutting pad.  If that doesn't fix it, go at it with some wet sanding.  I've had to wet sand a small area on mine, it wasn't so bad and the results were awesome. 

• Like 1

Oh mine is good, don't get me wrong.  I keep it covered, no direct sunlight etc.  I just had a small area near the water line that needed some love.  I fixed that up and am back in business. 

I will say, wet sanding a badly oxidized boat is very rewarding.  I did it on a navy '86 Bayliner, and man I was proud of the work.  She looked like it rolled off the production line.  I'd love to find an old skier similar to the post above and make it a project. 

Edited by saxton15
  • Like 1

I use the chemical guys stuff and get good results.

DA orbital polisher with a yellow cutting pad and heavy compound.

then go over it with a green pad and a polish compound.

Their videos make it a VERY easy process.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 1
On 4/30/2018 at 6:11 PM, srab said:

Pretty solid boats overall.  I think the '05s had some carpet issues (staining).  I believe they switched carpet in '06.

Damper plate failure is an issue is this era of Malibu boat.  You can google it, but, overall, I think it is a relatively rare occurrence (I have an '06 and it has never given me pause).

In '05, all they had was the manual wedge.  Some, mine included, have only 4 screws holding the wedge plate to the arms, while others have 6 screws.  These screws have been known to fail over time, but it is less likely with 6 screws than with 4.   When they fail, the wedge plate breaks away on one side, typically bending, and often breaking off the attached arm, leaving the wedge plate and a portion of the arm at the bottom of the lake. I make it a point to just change out those screws every now and again.  12 full seasons and mine is still going strong.

I have had to replace the fuel pump on my boat, FWIW.  Don't know if that was a common problem or not.  However, the fuel filter is an in-line filter, proximal to the fuel pump.  I can tell you, with first hand experience, that this configuration encourages vapor lock if you don't keep the blower on, or vent the engine compartment, after shutting down.

Could you share the screw information?