Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering wheel adjustment

BG21

Does anyone know how to realign your steering wheel in the boat?  I have a 2011 Wakesetter and I'm trying to figure out how to get it straight or lined up.

There are 4 bolts on the rack that attaches to the helm from underneath. It's usually better to do this in the water after you get it tracking straight because sometimes rudder straight isn't boat "straight".

When you get the boat going straight, kill the throttle and get the speed way down. Loosen the bolts up almost all the way, turn the steering wheel so it sits straight and then tighten the bolts back up.

• Like 2

Might want to take a look at the barrel adjuster back near the rudder to see if it is loose, and make sure that the rudder arm is at 90 degrees to the rudder.  Unless the barrel adjuster moved or your rudder arm key sheared or your rack slipped there should be no reason to be recentering the wheel. It indicates something is broke. 

I had 2 options with the Isotta wheel. Remove the Allen head screws from of the actual steering wheel cover which will allow you to pull the wheel off of the hub to make gross corrections i.e. moving the wheel center from the 9 to 12 o'clock positon. Or pull the same cover off and remove the steering shaft hub retaining nut and realign the hub on the splined shaft. The key here is to note where the wheel is positioned while underway to make the final corrections. Mine ended up being a combination of both gross and fine adjustments. 

I've done it via 23LSVOwner's method above.  Very easy.  That is the last step in replacing the steering cable.  You are just loosening the cable's connection to the wheel once you know the boat is tracking straight.  (Have it weighted the way you want to have it run "straight").  Straighten the wheel and re-tighten.