Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you tow newbs wakeboarding?

shawndoggy

14 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

What are your thoughts on protecting the transom from errant surf boards etc? I have seen the site sell transom pads in the past and some people have mentioned 3M protective tape.

Any thoughts or experience?

3M on mine worked perfect for the last 8 years on mine.  Only replaced it this year because I wanted to take the decals off underneath.  

17 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

What are your thoughts on protecting the transom from errant surf boards etc? I have seen the site sell transom pads in the past and some people have mentioned 3M protective tape.

Any thoughts or experience?

With a T23 you've probably got a nice wave so I wouldn't worry about it unless you've got a bunch of knuckle heads surfing behind your boat.  I think most boards hit transoms because people have to surf too close to the boat with an inadequate wave.  Now intentionally surfing onto the swim platform so you don't get wet is another story :thumbup:  It's COLD in Wisconsin at this time of year!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Glad I didn’t give up, finally gave in shortened rope 10 feet used short approach and went w2w  Saturday snd held on to rope for first time in almost 3 years since I broke my femur snd had surgery. Did many  an unsuccessful attempt last year and a half.  Cased both landings but held on, it’s like a big weight has been lifted, did my usual toe side come up a little short back to  back with each heal side 

BUUUT, then my brain said that’s enough for today don’t push it, I regret that

dont know if I wsnt to teach that to a newb anymore cause I’m not confident myself right now!

without confidence no older newb should even bother, the young ones shouldn’t care but I’ve seen some  teenagers who surf only cause they watched their daddies kill them selves long line 

Heck Yeah! That is a great story. I had to have two surgeries and spent 6months on crutches in 2014. I rode all of 2015 on a 55ft line at 19mph with no ballast. It actually allowed me to fill in a lot of gaps in my riding. It took me 3 years to get back to landing 720s, but I am a lifer so 3 years isn't that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

I was real lucky as the doctor waited for the final piece of the butterfly fracture to attach to the nail side, he let me surf with a still broken but mending femur 9 months after surgery , only really lost 1/2 a season 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, shawndoggy said:

As a "dad wakeboarder" I know that my slim quiver of "tricks" (must be in quotes cuz nobody is really impressed) is probably never going to get any bigger.  But I still really enjoy getting out and riding, even if it's just to pull the biggest mute grabs I can on no ballast and a 65' rope.  The sensation of flying is just really fun.

But my wife and I are seriously considering NOT pulling newbs anymore.  At least not grownups.  I hate to hear that I've sent a 40 something to the hospital to get an MRI after they do the butter slide to toe side edge catch.  

But, that's funny......

Wife and I are riding much more before surfing , having a blast, so glad to be riding much more, wife even got back to her one wake hops heels, next week she’ll probably do toeside hops, can’t wait for this weekend!

Teaching somebody to ski/board/surf is one of the most gratifying things ever. It’s just another opportunity to get a person into boating. You’re never too old or fat to catch the itch. 

• Like 3