Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New board

The Hulk

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

We can obviously make you a light weight yet extremely durable shim like board, but you would probably like a more advanced model. 

Nick

Rode one that I enjoyed at surfest but had minimal time on it so not a great feel for it but  others were very impressed 

2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

ok SC finally reached out, so i may grab 2 of these for wifey and i now.

if i go P5 i would be between the Ahi and the MVP. although the MVP looks very neat! the video says the Ahi is a full 1 lbs lighter than last year, although no info of what that weight actually is?  the videos of the mVP show some pretty darn good speed and air, so makes me wonder if this is better than the ahi? of course hard to tell with pro-riders driving these things.. 

Kanuk, never heard of them but nice site! and all carbon like the P5s sounds interesting. 

something a bit confusing is surf vs skim style: i get it...but at same time why does it seem surf style everyone in videos is having to pump a lot? vs ppl on skim boards are hanging way back in the wave doing nothing, but yet ppl say surf are faster for getting air yet they have to work in the back of the wave? seem sa bit opposite, although i do get that you need to pump with fins but .seems like to much work when you just want to hang back and chill then lean fwd to get some speed, we tend to only pump when we are about to loose the wave. 

i was so mad last year with the new DUD Hyperlite shim that i'm willing to spend whatever at this point to get a good board or 2 for wife and i. although looks like i'll be out 2-4k for this crap... errr... hard pill to swallow but when you only have 12 weeks a year its therapy.. 

You can for sure hang back and chill without pumping on any surf style board. The larger fins on a surf style board make it so if you do pump you have alot more surface area to drive off of so you can generate way more speed than on a skim board. If you want a pure skim board I would go victoria. Surf style I would go SC. I have handled the Kanuk boards and they are nice for sure but they are heavier than a Soulcraft, probably more durable but if you take care of your boards it should be fine. I also like that SC uses a wood stringer still. Any custom board you will be blown away compared to what you have been riding before.

• Like 2

Even the kanuck guys will say the surf style boards are a little heavier then soul craft, but they make up for it in speed. Check out their riders page, many pros like Conner burns and a couple others have switched over. Now for the skims, they are significantly ligther than phase 5. 

@The Hulk if you’re debating between the two styles, you need to narrow down what you want to do. Skim is much easier for spins, riding revert/heelside, and learning shuvs. Surf style the easier tricks being airs, bottom turns and that sorta thing. You can still do all the skim tricks it’s just a lot harder. 

Now if you want a board that will be surf style that’s looser like a skim the Conner burns pro model is what you want. Still a surf, but the rails are sharp and fins are further forward. Only thing being im not sure you could get one. Message Conner burns himself on instagram he was selling his old ones for cheap. 

Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Who are u with, I'm open to a board recommendation.

I currently do 360s 720s although the 720s not so consistent, working on a 1080 

Love a fast boyant board, typically ride with a tiny short 1" or so center fin so it's easier to spin. Never liked side fins always felt they slowed boards down , although ppl say u need to pump to make them work, never really cared to pump whole ride, I can get enough air building speed without them to not have to feel the board dogging back when I'm chilling with fins. 

Working on a cross the wake 360-transfer getting closer. Woulike to get some pop off wave and work on a bit more air

5'10" 225lbs (pure muscle) haha jk jk.. 

From my experience the sharper the bottom edge the faster the board is and less boyancy loss from being able to hold more water under edge if board. Also seems true when the boards have a channeled Grove built in bottom as well compared to flat bottom. My thoughts are it channels and keeps more water under board here as well?

I'm convinced now weight is everything so looking at something needing to be 5lbs or so

Long wave on my 25lsv I typically ride feet more fwd on the board compared to a shorter steeper wavez.

I'd prefer a full deck Eva pad, don't see myself liking old school wax. 

Chaos Surf Company. I guess I own Shred Stixx as well or one of the owners. If you look at most boards, they are derivatives of mine and a handful of other peoples designs. 30+ years of designing and making boards.

www.chaossurfco.com

Nick

4 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Even the kanuck guys will say the surf style boards are a little heavier then soul craft, but they make up for it in speed. Check out their riders page, many pros like Conner burns and a couple others have switched over. Now for the skims, they are significantly ligther than phase 5. 

@The Hulk if you’re debating between the two styles, you need to narrow down what you want to do. Skim is much easier for spins, riding revert/heelside, and learning shuvs. Surf style the easier tricks being airs, bottom turns and that sorta thing. You can still do all the skim tricks it’s just a lot harder. 

Now if you want a board that will be surf style that’s looser like a skim the Conner burns pro model is what you want. Still a surf, but the rails are sharp and fins are further forward. Only thing being im not sure you could get one. Message Conner burns himself on instagram he was selling his old ones for cheap. 

Hope this helps.

I want to ride one for this reason although they are the new kid on the block an not everyone is jumping on board. Keenan Flegel rides SC now so idk. Two of the top for sure.

I rode a buddies Hipsters, quality board, not too bad but for surf style I still prefer my Inland Sweet Spot over it.  Now the PHase 5 Matrix for Skim is unreal!  Sort of wish I would have gotten that over the Hi Fi but still happy with the Hi Fi

Lots of the pros ride for the company that will give them the best sponsorship. I’m pretty sure there are better boards out there than liquid force but in regards to sponsorship smaller company’s it’s not there. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yes we can. I would suggest instead of wrapping a light eps blank in pvc foam/divynlcell go with something like a HexDek honeycomb underlayment for impact resistance. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157614471@N05/with/26654493157/

Nick

$$ ?? 5 lbs and durable like an inland? 1.5” thickness, twinzers?

Edited by surfdude
14 hours ago, nohlan4 said:

You can for sure hang back and chill without pumping on any surf style board. The larger fins on a surf style board make it so if you do pump you have alot more surface area to drive off of so you can generate way more speed than on a skim board. If you want a pure skim board I would go victoria. Surf style I would go SC. I have handled the Kanuk boards and they are nice for sure but they are heavier than a Soulcraft, probably more durable but if you take care of your boards it should be fine. I also like that SC uses a wood stringer still. Any custom board you will be blown away compared to what you have been riding before.

@The Hulk, i agree with this^^^ post right here. Soulcraft for a surf board and Victoria or phase 5 for a skim. I have a SC voodoo and a Victoria captain and love both. I'm sure chaos makes a good surfboard too. As does Zombie along with a few others. You can still spin on a custom surfboard, it just doesn't ride like a lunch tray like a true skim board does.

You see people pumping surf boards because they generate a lot of speed quickly when you do. I used to not pump at all. I liked to just lean to generate speed. Now that i have a custom board that works for me, i am always pumping because pumping actually works way better than just leaning.  It allows you to fall way back in the wave, take a couple pumps to build speed, do a trick and then fall back again.  When i rode my inland surfer boards (swallowV2 and fly boy big boy) when i would pump, i would burry the board and it would actually kill my speed and momentum instead of generate it. 

I don't want to queer any deal you might be working on with chaos as I'm sure they make a fine board too. The one i rode was too small for me so it didn't perform for me nearly as well as the board i had made custom made for me. If you tell Jeff that you like to lean to generate speed, he will make subtle changes that will tailor the board to your riding style. I have nothing but good things to say about soulcraft. I can say without hesitation that you will not miss your old hyperlite if you have a good custom made for you. I'm looking forward to hearing which way you go and how you like your new board. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, surfdude said:

$$ ?? 5 lbs and durable like an inland? 1.5” thickness, twinzers?

We can make it sub 5 and very durable. A custom board like that, with the different material layup is going to run $899.

Nick

• Like 2
On 4/18/2018 at 1:54 PM, Chaos said:

We can make it sub 5 and very durable. A custom board like that, with the different material layup is going to run $899.

Nick

Do u offer full Eva deck pads ?

On 4/18/2018 at 11:54 AM, Chaos said:

Nick

Fins, traction and shipping?

19 hours ago, surfdude said:

Fins, traction and shipping?

boards come with fins and traction of your choice. Premium fins. For the style board I would reccomend medium flare fins. shipping is generally about $40 to $49 for a board like this.

Nick

On 4/16/2018 at 7:37 PM, The Hulk said:

Any other good eps light boards on the market?

Gave up on SC, maybe their out of business or something.

May have to 3D scan my hyperlite shim and have it milled out on foam CNC and layed up in EPS and carbon to hopefully make it even lighter. Easy to do at a few places I found.. just will take a month or two so didn't want to wait.. 

Wish the boards all listed actual weights and layup info..

I have not ridden the hyperlite shim... I ride a doomswell nubstep. It is a hybrid between surf and skim... I love it... they make a skim board as well... but for some reason I really like my Victoria skim board....Don't know what style you are looking for... There is also Chaos boards and Tuk Tuk... use to ride a shredstixx (now Chaos boards) and loved it until I got my Nubstep.... 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

boards come with fins and traction of your choice. Premium fins. For the style board I would reccomend medium flare fins. shipping is generally about $40 to $49 for a board like this.

Nick

How long to get one?

Ok Guys, you are making Chaos bump up against the TOU's. He's trying to follow the rules about no vendor advertising but you're not making it easy for him. Please ask your questions on the PM system and take it off site.

• Like 2

Ok, planning, terms, delivery date , price, time to pony up, custom ain’t cheap and retail on my boards is more than what he’s charging 

Edited by granddaddy55

Update: starting off with two SC boards

The Emily for hers and a super AV for myself, almost same but the Emily should be a tad easier for spins for wifey. Going to leave Eva pads off so I can place them slightly more forward if I want.. just seems like all the boards the pads are way too far back on my wave everybody has to move their feet forward.. steeper waves require being on the brakes all the time where I tend to be more center Ballanced often more weight on front foot.

Next need to figure out the skim board choice for myself. Kanuk , Victoria, chaos, HL mvp are some of the options I'm down to. Really would like full deck pad, been watching few videos and see guys landing their back foot between pads .. not cool for me and would bug the crap out of me.. 

Chime in with any skim favs

@The Hulk   Viscous wax pad fir front pad, you won’t believe how much you like it it is not a waxy mess in fact no mess , works surfing fantastic with the wax benefits but zero mess, you   can always strip it and put on your EVA front pad later

i have it in one board and now wish I had it in all boards,  just can’t convince myself to do the removal cause we have no off season 

i bet soul craft has one with their logo on it already 

enjoy your new season with your $2000 investment , ha ha, did same last year , one didn’t work out of the 3, it’s a big boat big wave Board and it’s to locked in on my smaller wave

Edited by granddaddy55

Viskus is a good option for the front. You can easily pull it up once you find where you want to place pads. Whether eva pad or viskus or other alternatives, pretty much all competitive riders still add wax. 

Viskus is a silicon product that is sprayed/splattered on sticky back vinyl, so it like removing a wrap or sticker. Pretty easy compared to removing and replacing EVA. There are some tricks to make EVA removal easier.

We sell viskus, the only thing I don''t care for is that it is a disposable product. I know a lot of people that will not allow other riders to use their boards with viskus on it, because it wears off and smears with each ride.

Viskus and other alternatives tend to run about $15, a bar of wax is like $1 to $2. Front traction has come and gone in the surfing world, we are seeing a small resurgence now, but wax will always be the industry leader. Front traction is still pretty standard in wakesurfing, except in the small competitive world.

Skims: skims are skims, there is really less diversity in skim boards than in surf boards. Some people like really thin board others like boards with a bit more bulk to them. Some like a cropped off/blunted tail and/or nose, other like a pointed tail and nose.

Pointed/narrow tails and noses are easier to push into the wake providing more control for various maneuvers.

Nick

My viskus pad on my surf style is legit. Just bought a kanuk vedder and it has the basic foam. I’ll let you know how it performs. 

With any custom board just ask them to place the traction differently. You could even ask them to change the design a bit, thicker, blunt nose, whatever imaginable.