Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New board

The Hulk

Any other good eps light boards on the market?

Gave up on SC, maybe their out of business or something.

May have to 3D scan my hyperlite shim and have it milled out on foam CNC and layed up in EPS and carbon to hopefully make it even lighter. Easy to do at a few places I found.. just will take a month or two so didn't want to wait.. 

Wish the boards all listed actual weights and layup info..

Brigade is an extremely light board, my 4’10” goofy asym is as light as my 4’5” P5 Ahi, the Ahi is ten times tougher, armored  and light, but not as light as the brigade

1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

Brigade is an extremely light board, my 4’10” goofy asym is as light as my 4’5” P5 Ahi, the Ahi is ten times tougher, armored  and light, but not as light as the brigade

So,what do you think of the asym?? Not trying to be a fanboy, but demo the new wire and tell me what u think!  Up here in Montucky, we can’t demo much. Ahi reminds me of the early flyboy.

Someone needs to demo the hyperlight varial. The thing I think is funny, they make an ocean short board with this foam and layup, and it’s only 650$ not 1200$. 

Surfed the 4’8” regular asym and it was so much a smaller board (not just two inches of length , but significantly more Board in the 10”) that I hated it

i surf the goofy asym with two 3.5”-3.7”? Fins and a nub fin in the asym back slot, on a bigger boat large wave you would use a 4.0”+ in the inside fin bed and a 4.5-4.75”+ outer forward fin bed

The 4’10” is an extremely Light  big board , so if you want to recover from back of wave a couple foot pumps and arm waves and your flying to the boat,

when your recovering from a maneuver coming down off the wave the very pointed real surf board tip just slices through the water even if it gets slightly submerged to right the ship

Rides my foam ball by the platform  like I was on a Flowrider, the extra length allows for more front foot pressure to allow you to hover on the foam and never fade back

This is a very convex Board on top , real surfboard style which I am not as successful with , but this one is great and the front brigade logo wax pad is what I wish I would have on any surfboard , wax grip , no mess , just don’t let this Board touch anything !!!

dont have access to  the wire

the 53 Ahi is a corvette and as a very nimble and fast Board is almost “undingable” , hard combo to come by

I had to spend a lot of money to demo both those boards at a surfest, pony up baby !!!

but got both of them at discount, at same event

Fly boys are huge compared to 53 Ahi and I seriously doubt any where near as fast , now durable like an old fly boy , oh yea 

the 56 Ahi was a total dog but big like a fly boy , that might be a fair comparison , made the Ahi heavier and even thicker side rails and that one was a tank of armor

mitch at Boardco said he liked his old flyboy cause of the “workout “ it gave him, not that good of a testimonial 

Edited by granddaddy55

Awesome review! How thick is the asym? I agree on the ahi, super fast and loves to turn ! Don’t drink too much coffee when you ride this one! I like the swell, basically a smaller wire. I weigh about 155. It’s no where near as quick as the ahi, but I love the blunt nose. Good combo of stable, yet loose. Too bad it’s a slow board ,unlike the wire. They have tweaked this board this year with lighter flex foam and sharp rails. Should be fun

Edited by surfdude

2.75”+ at thickest middle part but quickly tapers to tip ,  tail , snd rails i.e. the extreme convexness that I usually don’t like

Edited by granddaddy55

The Ahi is thick throughout except nose, as I said the Asym is only that thick in  a very small area  and quickly tapers in all four directions to less than 1inch rails on an extremely convex top 

Edited by granddaddy55
10 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

The Ahi is thick throughout except nose, as I said the Asym is only that thick in  a very small area  and quickly tapers in all four directions to less than 1inch rails on an extremely convex top 

Prolly why the Asym is so light. The design sounds cool, but I’d have to ride one before I bought.

41 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We can obviously make you a light weight yet extremely durable shim like board, but you would probably like a more advanced model. 

Nick

Who are u with, I'm open to a board recommendation.

I currently do 360s 720s although the 720s not so consistent, working on a 1080 

Love a fast boyant board, typically ride with a tiny short 1" or so center fin so it's easier to spin. Never liked side fins always felt they slowed boards down , although ppl say u need to pump to make them work, never really cared to pump whole ride, I can get enough air building speed without them to not have to feel the board dogging back when I'm chilling with fins. 

Working on a cross the wake 360-transfer getting closer. Woulike to get some pop off wave and work on a bit more air

5'10" 225lbs (pure muscle) haha jk jk.. 

From my experience the sharper the bottom edge the faster the board is and less boyancy loss from being able to hold more water under edge if board. Also seems true when the boards have a channeled Grove built in bottom as well compared to flat bottom. My thoughts are it channels and keeps more water under board here as well?

I'm convinced now weight is everything so looking at something needing to be 5lbs or so

Long wave on my 25lsv I typically ride feet more fwd on the board compared to a shorter steeper wavez.

I'd prefer a full deck Eva pad, don't see myself liking old school wax. 

Edited by The Hulk
8 minutes ago, surfdude said:

4’8 custom Chaos skim, semi blunt tail and tip!

55" would seems pretty nimble compared to the 63" I was on! So it does have channels on bottom ? Eva deck pad? Pretty fast board? I'd probably need full Eva deck pad seems like my BK foot would almost be on fwd edge or off that deck pad.. or would bug me at least. 

Edited by The Hulk
9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I'd prefer a full deck Eva pad, don't see myself liking old school wax. 

I felt  the same until I tried a wax pad for front. You get all the grip of applied wax without applying any snd really good EVA like my Ahi can be pretty tacky but also sometimes a little slick in certain moves or foot placements 

zero mess but really cool snd no middle hump that sometimes is sort of in the way 

I really like EVA and don’t want mess or to have to wear socks to not make mess in boat 

BUT I REALLY LIKE MY WAX PAD AND WISH SLL BOARDS HAD IT 

they even have them with the Board logo on them , the brigade logo looks great black and white on black and white wax pad

Edited by granddaddy55
8 hours ago, surfdude said:

Prolly why the Asym is so light. The design sounds cool, but I’d have to ride one before I bought.

It’s shsped like an ocean Board , real surfboards have extremely rounded convex tops

Go to TMC Lakefest in June or Utah Wske Addicts Surfest, lake Lanier Southern Surfest  if they have it, Polar Bear surf(people drive and camp at these events to save money and save to buy boards and drive them home)  snd you can demo and buy , problem is shipping , so best bet is if Board rep or company is there ask them to ship , problem is boards take time to ship back to company snd then to you, more chance for damage , inspect Board well as event can ding them

Edited by granddaddy55

The wax pads are amazing! I have a viskus and it’s legit. 

For the light boards you need to check out kanuk, a Canadian company who makes the best of the best. Pros are all switching from phase 5 and soul craft. Also couple hundred cheaper than soulcraft. 

Edited by Cole2001
40 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

zero mess but really cool snd no middle hump that sometimes is sort of in the way 

I hate the hump .. I'm flat footed and it really bothers me on my model X.  How hard is it to remove the pad?  I'm interested in trying a wax alternative.

ok SC finally reached out, so i may grab 2 of these for wifey and i now.

if i go P5 i would be between the Ahi and the MVP. although the MVP looks very neat! the video says the Ahi is a full 1 lbs lighter than last year, although no info of what that weight actually is?  the videos of the mVP show some pretty darn good speed and air, so makes me wonder if this is better than the ahi? of course hard to tell with pro-riders driving these things.. 

Kanuk, never heard of them but nice site! and all carbon like the P5s sounds interesting. 

something a bit confusing is surf vs skim style: i get it...but at same time why does it seem surf style everyone in videos is having to pump a lot? vs ppl on skim boards are hanging way back in the wave doing nothing, but yet ppl say surf are faster for getting air yet they have to work in the back of the wave? seem sa bit opposite, although i do get that you need to pump with fins but .seems like to much work when you just want to hang back and chill then lean fwd to get some speed, we tend to only pump when we are about to loose the wave. 

i was so mad last year with the new DUD Hyperlite shim that i'm willing to spend whatever at this point to get a good board or 2 for wife and i. although looks like i'll be out 2-4k for this crap... errr... hard pill to swallow but when you only have 12 weeks a year its therapy.. 

Edited by The Hulk

@The Hulk  I went from the older Shim (yellow/orange one) to a P5 Model X and really like it. Definitely a little faster and responsive.  I was also nearly 290# last summer so I needed more than the Shim could give.  I'm 215 now (and still dropping) so very excited to surf w/o the extra 70# but hate that I'm probably going to be board shopping again.  Fortunately I have a P5 guy at the lake and last time he sent me home with 4 boards to try (no deposit, nothing).

I'm with you on the surf vs. skim.  I feel like hybrid is the easy answer  :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

ok SC finally reached out, so i may grab 2 of these for wifey and i now.

if i go P5 i would be between the Ahi and the MVP. although the MVP looks very neat! the video says the Ahi is a full 1 lbs lighter than last year, although no info of what that weight actually is?  the videos of the mVP show some pretty darn good speed and air, so makes me wonder if this is better than the ahi? of course hard to tell with pro-riders driving these things.. 

Kanuk, never heard of them but nice site! and all carbon like the P5s sounds interesting. 

something a bit confusing is surf vs skim style: i get it...but at same time why does it seem surf style everyone in videos is having to pump a lot? vs ppl on skim boards are hanging way back in the wave doing nothing, but yet ppl say surf are faster for getting air yet they have to work in the back of the wave? seem sa bit opposite, although i do get that you need to pump with fins but .seems like to much work when you just want to hang back and chill then lean fwd to get some speed, we tend to only pump when we are about to loose the wave. 

i was so mad last year with the new DUD Hyperlite shim that i'm willing to spend whatever at this point to get a good board or 2 for wife and i. although looks like i'll be out 2-4k for this crap... errr... hard pill to swallow but when you only have 12 weeks a year its therapy.. 

The Wolfe sisters labeled me, in more kind words, a lazy surfer.  I now  pump hard to recover or maneuver, i think the Laid back approach can be had on surf style while doing Board slides and slashes with minimal pumping 

in the Ahi   Use the 3.5 inch rear quad fin in forward fin bed and ride it as a twin, loosens up the board really well.  You will definitely want to do that with the 56” as I found the heavier bigger Ahi was a dog compared  to its smaller sibling 53” though you said it was lighter now than the 17’ model

the 53 is so floaty you might try that 1st even st your weight , it also is more fluid or loose with a smaller stance , let the nose do it’s thing without your foot way up there

the surf style makes riding the foam ball without transferring a lot of fun, the fins keep you up there snd in control without fading back, ever tried to ride the foam ball with your small rear fin on skim? 

Why not ride both worlds and if so you supposedly would like a Hammerhead(not a skim guy) snd an Ahi or one of each ftom 2 manufacturers 

surf really is no fun without that effort, in fact quite boring

snd I guaranty your trsnsfers will be easier when you go over at the high point and slide down the face , big fins grab and when you end up Backside you will maneuver and surf that side  better instead of just surviving to execute transfer back including the back to front acceleration to make it look cool when you do it after surfing that side 1st

i am not a p5 guy, just rode Ahi at surfest snd it was the schnizzle.  It stood out from the rest of the boards except for the pros customs that were on hand 

you want a sick surf style , check out Rusty surf boards, i rode Johnny Steig’s , Axis pro, Rusty behind a t23 with zero wedge and it was too cool, scalloped blunt front nose, looked sick, that will be a bunch of money and light

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I hate the hump .. I'm flat footed and it really bothers me on my model X.  How hard is it to remove the pad?  I'm interested in trying a wax alternative.

Definitely in my mind an off season project to take the time to get the residual pad and glue off as I’m told the older ones that never lifted anywhere will be harder to tear off, p5 sent me one to replace rear pad that was lifting, after I tried the dry heat and repress routine , but I went with clear gorilla glue careful not to use too much as with previous EVA repairs I have done.  Still have pad cause problem fixed.  P5 told me it can be a process if it doesn’t lift off intact