Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New board

The Hulk

On 4/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, The Hulk said:

Update: starting off with two SC boards

The Emily for hers and a super AV for myself, almost same but the Emily should be a tad easier for spins for wifey. Going to leave Eva pads off so I can place them slightly more forward if I want.. just seems like all the boards the pads are way too far back on my wave everybody has to move their feet forward.. steeper waves require being on the brakes all the time where I tend to be more center Ballanced often more weight on front foot.

Next need to figure out the skim board choice for myself. Kanuk , Victoria, chaos, HL mvp are some of the options I'm down to. Really would like full deck pad, been watching few videos and see guys landing their back foot between pads .. not cool for me and would bug the crap out of me.. 

Chime in with any skim favs

You will not be disappointed. For a skim I wold go phase 5 or victoria, happy days!

Another vote for the P5
Hammerhead was a super fun board to ride.
Because of the snub nose, it actually rides like it's a slightly larger board

• Like 2
9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Which one? Weight? Carbon?

Just got the 52” vedder skim fully carbon build, not sure on the weight but it makes my Victoria and other phase 5s feel heavy.  Also have a Conner burns pro model surf style. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just received the phase 5 mvp, seems super light, will give it a whirl tomorrow evening for the scheduled first surf run of season.. that's depressing to say giving it's end of May.. still waiting on my SC boards hopefully they will be here in 2wks or less. Anyhow will report on the MVP tomorrow

Just now, The Hulk said:

Just received the phase 5 mvp, seems super light, will give it a whirl tomorrow evening for the scheduled first surf run of season.. that's depressing to say giving it's end of May.. still waiting on my SC boards hopefully they will be here in 2wks or less. Anyhow will report on the MVP tomorrow

20180523_162346.jpg

On 5/27/2018 at 7:02 AM, saxton15 said:

What!! Hulk, put the kids to bed, call the parents/inlaws to come watch them.  Grab the wife, fill the cooler and go ride! 

Finally made it out for first run Friday! Ha it was easy with in-laws with one not so bad with two, now with three they don't answer the phone much haha.. 

Biggest problem is finding someone that wants to go out or drive at least. Mama bear has to hold down three kiddos in the boat so she can't drive.. heck I even have asked some young colledge kids to come after work like 5x and they all weren't interested.. crazy!

Tried the P5 MVP Friday.. whoooaaa.. I only had about 20 mins to ride but I like it.. it's definitely slippery above my spinning skills.. u don't even have to try to turn this thing. It's very fast! Very light with a great feel. U loose a foot or two of riding wave can't recover quite as far back due to rounded back tail bit makes spinning way easier!

The fin that comes with it is very long and shallow, I may try an older fin that's deeper so the board isn't quite as slippery.. although towards end of my session I had it under control and was loving some slider's on top of wave like never before.. great board and will hold me over until SC Customs arrive maybe later this week!

4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Tried the P5 MVP Friday.. whoooaaa.. I only had about 20 mins to ride but I like it.. it's definitely slippery above my spinning skills.. u don't even have to try to turn this thing. It's very fast! Very light with a great feel. U loose a foot or two of riding wave can't recover quite as far back due to rounded back tail bit makes spinning way easier!

The fin that comes with it is very long and shallow, I may try an older fin that's deeper so the board isn't quite as slippery.. although towards end of my session I had it under control and was loving some slider's on top of wave like never before.. great board and will hold me over until SC Customs arrive maybe later this week!

I got to ride with John Akerman last week.  He's a HOSS.  He even did the Sushi Roll for us.  It was an absolutely amazing experience.  I learned a lot.  The things that he did on his board just blew my mind.  Doesn't even seem possible.

I was riding my Hammerhead (which comes with the same 1" fin) and he recommended swapping out with the 2" for now to help control the board more (especially during spins) until I get the hang of it.  Phase5 had it for $26 with free shipping.  Hopefully it will come in this week so I can try it out.  I really want to try out the MVP too to see how it compares to the HH.  FWIW, Akerman rides with no fin. ;)

Edited by Kblagg

Don't rely on the fin so much on a skim board.  A skim is all about digging in the rail for control.  Sure the fin adds some stability but putting a 2" fin on a skimboard isn't the answer in my humble opinion.  You need to change your riding style from a surf to a skim board.

10 hours ago, Kblagg said:

I got to ride with John Akerman last week.  He's a HOSS.  He even did the Sushi Roll for us.  It was an absolutely amazing experience.  I learned a lot.  The things that he did on his board just blew my mind.  Doesn't even seem possible.

I was riding my Hammerhead (which comes with the same 1" fin) and he recommended swapping out with the 2" for now to help control the board more (especially during spins) until I get the hang of it.  Phase5 had it for $26 with free shipping.  Hopefully it will come in this week so I can try it out.  I really want to try out the MVP too to see how it compares to the HH.  FWIW, Akerman rides with no fin. ;)

No fin? Crazy ha

This board is loose! I think I'm loving it more and more