Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spring Detail Time

JeffC

I hate the 303 interior scrub and rinse and dry, that literally can take 2 days given the number of cushions to wash including the non movable verticle cushions , I bet that’s what your trying to get pumped up to do unless you did it at storage time!!!

I was awakened by the soft growl of snow plows. I don't think detailing is in the cards this week.

JeffC, love that color combination.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Falko said:

I was awakened by the soft growl of snow plows. I don't think detailing is in the cards this week.

JeffC, love that color combination.

Thanks, we do too.  IMHO, it looks better on the water tho... (ok, one MORE excuse to get it on the water :woot:)

Sadly, we could see snow on Friday too.  Weekend doesnt look too bad, but I will be moving my oldest daughter to their new home.   Just hoping I can float sometime next week.

@Kblagg  Almost done with the winter/spring checklist... cant wait to get the Gatorstep on.   Should be here any day now...   When it gets here,  I can at least get it mounted, pour a cold beer off the keg, and sit in the boat and make motor noises, thinking about how I am going to get a 360 done on the surfboard this year.    Driveway boating is better than no boating.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I hate the 303 interior scrub and rinse and dry, that literally can take 2 days given the number of cushions to wash including the non movable verticle cushions , I bet that’s what your trying to get pumped up to do unless you did it at storage time!!!

Wife and I brought the boat home a few weeks ago, and did the interior over a weekend.  I used the 303 all purpose cleaner, and then the protectant.   A little easier to use, but it STILL takes forever  Every cushion has to move in SOME way to make sure that all the vinyl is cleaned and treated.   I was exhausted and sore when it was done.    This weekend was wash, wax, etc.    And again, I am tired and sore.   Getting old sucks, but it does beat the alternative.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JeffC said:

Wife and I brought the boat home a few weeks ago, and did the interior over a weekend.  I used the 303 all purpose cleaner, and then the protectant.   A little easier to use, but it STILL takes forever  Every cushion has to move in SOME way to make sure that all the vinyl is cleaned and treated.   I was exhausted and sore when it was done.    This weekend was wash, wax, etc.    And again, I am tired and sore.   Getting old sucks, but it does beat the alternative.

Oh, forgot the conditioning part!!! probably trying to forget it 

Just got most of the ice from this weekend off the drive today. Now I should be able to plow the snow we are getting tonight and tomorrow.  My tug is in good shape but still like to spend a day or two before launching. I put 303 on my interior but it doesn't take much time for me.  My boat gets put away in good shape.  The water in my lake is just now up to summer level. Its controlled by temp. Needs to be 39 deg. before its brought up from winter draw down. So much debris coming down we could not ski even if we had temps above freezing for a day or two. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, JeffC said:

Thanks, we do too.  IMHO, it looks better on the water tho... (ok, one MORE excuse to get it on the water :woot:)

Sadly, we could see snow on Friday too.  Weekend doesnt look too bad, but I will be moving my oldest daughter to their new home.   Just hoping I can float sometime next week.

@Kblagg  Almost done with the winter/spring checklist... cant wait to get the Gatorstep on.   Should be here any day now...   When it gets here,  I can at least get it mounted, pour a cold beer off the keg, and sit in the boat and make motor noises, thinking about how I am going to get a 360 done on the surfboard this year.    Driveway boating is better than no boating.

haha...I hear ya.  Well my season hasn't started out that great.  Had the dreaded Service Required alarm come on for one of the O2 sensors and sprung a leak from the impeller cover.  Fun times, NOT!!!!

Not ready to detail yet but getting close. Boat ran fine on the hose today. Batteries were perfect after sitting all winter also. I need to change the impeller and then I think its detail time.  Oh oh oh I need to install FAE too!

• Like 1

I usually spend a solid day on detailing in the spring.  This year, the weather has been so terrible that I haven’t had enough time to get it done.  The weather is now breaking and the boat ramp I use is being closed for repairs in Monday.  That means docks, hoists, and boats all have to go in this weekend.  Spring detailing from me will be done from the hoist this year.

I am so annoyed... The boat looked FANTASTIC Sunday.   Tuesday, we had very high winds most of the day, gusting up over 70mph.   A few miles south of me, I saw a gust to 90 just watching on weather underground.    I was supposed to take the boat in for summerization on Tuesday evening, but (wisely I believe) chose NOT to tow in that kind of wind.   Yesterday was beautiful, and as I always do, removed the cover for the trip... to find all kinds of chafing in the gel where the cover was in contact with it.   The wind had blown dirt up under the edge of the cover, and now I have micro scratches that are quite obvious, especially in the midnight blue. 

Hoping they were REALLY minor, I cleaned it off, and applied another coat of wax, but it did not cover them.   So looks like I have some more work to do with a buffer.   

Grrrr.

Oh well... but the boat will be ready to float soon.   Summer is not far away.

6 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I am so annoyed... The boat looked FANTASTIC Sunday.   Tuesday, we had very high winds most of the day, gusting up over 70mph.   A few miles south of me, I saw a gust to 90 just watching on weather underground.    I was supposed to take the boat in for summerization on Tuesday evening, but (wisely I believe) chose NOT to tow in that kind of wind.   Yesterday was beautiful, and as I always do, removed the cover for the trip... to find all kinds of chafing in the gel where the cover was in contact with it.   The wind had blown dirt up under the edge of the cover, and now I have micro scratches that are quite obvious, especially in the midnight blue. 

Hoping they were REALLY minor, I cleaned it off, and applied another coat of wax, but it did not cover them.   So looks like I have some more work to do with a buffer.   

Grrrr.

Oh well... but the boat will be ready to float soon.   Summer is not far away.

man that sucks... 
I still have hella wet sanding and polishing to do to mine. I skipped it last year and just sealed it and then tied up a bunch throughout the year... all kinda microscratches and swirls all over this thing.

But, she'll be a mirror in a few weeks and I'll do 3-4 coats of sealant on it and then it's only wipe downs from here on out, till July!

10 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

man that sucks... 
I still have hella wet sanding and polishing to do to mine. I skipped it last year and just sealed it and then tied up a bunch throughout the year... all kinda microscratches and swirls all over this thing.

But, she'll be a mirror in a few weeks and I'll do 3-4 coats of sealant on it and then it's only wipe downs from here on out, till July!

I could use a quick wet sand too but that’s not happening till July.

1 hour ago, ibelonginprison said:

man that sucks... 

@ibelonginprison  What kind/brand of sealant do you use?

We were floating already last year..... this year, we just got another 16 inches of snow this last weekend and there is 20 inches of ice in some spots on the lake. So...... decided to have the old  motor boat Ceramic coated, stoked to see how it comes out!

Pulled the boat out of storage for some spring cleaning but the weather was so nice we decided to take the family out to the lake instead 😎

4B482592-B4A5-49CC-A254-BEC75127D52B.thumb.jpeg.4beb29107bea2d6a6f828e62d2633a91.jpeg

Brother in law got so warm he decided to cool off and try a bite of ice cream 😂

15E39313-1F84-4BE1-819B-6A8D877E4828.thumb.png.d10ee387f7555653a09a3d8cec219a73.png

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Been using Menzerna/Jescar Powerlock Sealant for years. Cars and boats. 
Although, I am probably going to try a ceramic coat soon. 

Recently wet sanded with 1500/2000....then cutting compound and polish on entire boat. Then Collonite paste wax. Cleaned and waxed trailer too.

I used some TR3 on some other areas which has resins in it and really cleans things up well, like anodized tower, racks, carbon fiber vents, etc. Wondered if that may seal gelcoat for longer than wax....what are the benefits to using the above sealants or ceramic and what are the costs? Do they really last longer than waxing 2-3 times a year? Once the polish is done, waxing only takes an hour or so, so no big deal, but maybe the ceramic also protects the gelcoat better from small scratches, or no?

Me and the boys are going out tomorrow. I'm going out early with a bottle of vinyl sauce, a scrub brush and a bottle of 303 protectant. I can usually get all the vinyl done in about 2 hours. I really need to do the gel but i always struggle with that because if it's warm enough to buff the boat, it's warm enough to be on the water. The struggle is real. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

Recently wet sanded with 1500/2000....then cutting compound and polish on entire boat. Then Collonite paste wax. Cleaned and waxed trailer too.

I used some TR3 on some other areas which has resins in it and really cleans things up well, like anodized tower, racks, carbon fiber vents, etc. Wondered if that may seal gelcoat for longer than wax....what are the benefits to using the above sealants or ceramic and what are the costs? Do they really last longer than waxing 2-3 times a year? Once the polish is done, waxing only takes an hour or so, so no big deal, but maybe the ceramic also protects the gelcoat better from small scratches, or no?

A buddy of mine had his Supra ceramic pro coated a few years ago and it still looks pristine. Hasn’t had to touch it with wax or a buffer in 3 years now. Same with using any cleaners on the interior as they do that also. Just hits it with a little vinegar water and wipes it off. The company doing mine is charging 55 a linear foot for above the water line with an 18 month warrant, or 75 a foot for a lifetime (the one I chose), 35 a foot for the interior, and 45 a foot for under the water line. That includes a full restoration before they coat it tho, it was hard to pull the trigger on, but pros and cons we decided to go thru with it.