Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 VLX Drivers seat "unglued" from base

So i took my boat out for the very first trip and the drivers seat started leaning back all of a sudden. Upon investigation, it seems that the black base plate thats attached to the floor is glued to the 4 corners of the seat to attach it. So my question is has anyone ever done this and if so what kind of adhesive is it? Thanks for the help!

Drivers seat bottom

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P5kbfkxc18F95Hl22lgztMASAnjldtFQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Boat base plate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoHtv_OieB4Io8GwRFEBa0bPVtnWJcmP/view?usp=drivesdk

My seat is nothing like that and on the floor of the boat are just the two sliders with two studs each that go through the base of the seat for mounting.  Bottom of the seat if removed from boat (every winter) is molded plastic.  Wondering if your seat was modified? Perhaps for a swivel at one time. 

That HDPE plate on the bottom is supposed to have holes with the bolt heads and large washers on the back side that hold the sliders.  Looks like it somehow failed and the previous owner tried to glue them in instead of replacing the plate.  Go to your local plastic store and use the old one as a template; drill the holes and use either a flanged or countersunk bolt to reconnect (drilling a hole just big enough to get the bolt through) instead of the large holes you see that were made to accommodate the hex bolt head and large washer underneath.

Edited by formulaben

Thanks! That sounds a lot better than gluing, wasn't sure how it came from the factory and wanted to do it right. Will be trying this weekend!

the oem set-up in mine (similar year, diff. model) throws a dozen-ish screws through that plate into the floor BUT not just the outer edges.

those screws are randomly scattered across the area of that panel. 

i suspect randomly scattered would hold up better than just the edges since the panel is plastic.