Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Wakesetter VLX Perfect Pass repari

Mikeleg

Hi,

I’m thinking of buying a used 2001 VLX. The boat has 500 hours and is in good condition but the Perfect Pass needs to be repaired. Is repairing the Perfect Pass a big deal? What are the most common things that require repair? 

Also, is there anything that I shoul pay particular attention to when I inspect the boat? I mean, anything particular to the 2001 VLX.

Thanks,

Mike

Perfect Pass has great customer service so just call them.  If the display is OK most of the problems with that era PP are with the servo.  It normally runs hot and is an electro mechanical device so apt to fail.  Consider upgrading to the GPS model if not already and you're not on a river.

Agree with minnmarker just give them a call. A new unit can get kinda pricey though.

I bought a 2000 Wakesetter last fall.  IMO the engine, transmission and Vdrive are pretty much bulletproof if maintained properly and not abused.  I had a compression test and ECU readout before in bought it and everything looked good.  691 hours.

Make sure you inspect the trailer and cover.  Mine needed new bunks, bearings and tires.  My cover also wasn't made for towing.  These expences can add up quick...I've got $1700 for in both those things already.  

Ive got another $1500 in the stereo but I don't consider that as "expensive". 

Getting ready to buy a Bimini...

Use all that stuff for negotiation.  Good luck.👍 

Bring OAnother Thousand...

I had an 01 with non working PP, ended up installing the updated stargazer GPS. My gauge was not working, so I had to buy the whole system, I think it was around $1200.  Perfect Pass sells all the individual parts as well, if you need just the servo motor, etc.  It’s all something you can do yourself and their customer service is great. Definitely call them and they can help walk you through the issues. 

Can't speak on repairs, but customer service is great.  I replaced my stock Perfect Pass with the Stargazer and installation was a breeze.  It's stupid simple to replace the old unit after you figure out how to remove the dash, which is easy: remove Malibu logo at bottom, then 1 screw at the top that is almost hidden.  Stargazer has a few options that make updating worth it, but if you're on a river you'll still need the paddlewheel.

what is the PP doing ?   Bad display or not engaging ? I had to mess with mine when I got it.  It had a loose wire and wouldn't spin the servo.   

Do you have the split screen (RPM on top / PP on the bottom) ?   

Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated. I’m making the decision about getting the boat tonight.

Edited by Mikeleg
2 hours ago, Mikeleg said:

Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated. I’m making the decision about getting the boat tonight.

Make sure you update us with pics if you pull the trigger....

Here is mine I picked up last fall...

IMG_0838.JPG