Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AXIS Stereos

Cboom12

Pulling the trigger on an A24, really leaning toward sp3, mostly because it will be financed and just done. Any huge issues? Is the sub sealed? Basically is worth the money for a little convenience?

Also the other option is stereo delete, is the cabin prewired? I was told they no longer wire the towers and the factory. Will Malibu cut a hole for the sub??

I got SP2 and it sounds good just sitting at the dealer. I am not a stereo snob like alot of the folks around here. There are a few of us that have new A24's. You should have a few folks join in on the conversation. SP3 I'm sure would sound great! Not sure about the sub enclosure because the sub is in the fiberglass under the helm on the 18's. I am guessing you'd have to cut the hole and supplement from there.

35 minutes ago, Cboom12 said:

Pulling the trigger on an A24, really leaning toward sp3, mostly because it will be financed and just done. Any huge issues? Is the sub sealed? Basically is worth the money for a little convenience?

The sub is not in a box, it is a FA 12". I ordered my 18 T22 with SP1 and did my own system. If you can get hooked up on stereo equipment it's much cheaper to do your own. The tower does not come prewired anymore with SP1 but the sub wire and bow wires are ran. I took the stock WS 6.5" cabin speakers out and replaced with black revo6's, I also cut the two 5" holes in the bow and added revo's up there also. My dealer wired my tower and cut the hole for the Revo 12" FA sub that actually sounds pretty good running off the syndx6 amp. I added a pair of Rev10s pushed by a ArcAudio 600.2. I also did a WS-420SQ because I hate the buttons on the infinity remote. I already had the Arc amp but bought everything else for half the price of SP3. I know SP3 has the Rev410s but think it's a lil overkill, 1 pair of properly powered Rev10s is plenty.

29 minutes ago, st22eve said:

The sub is not in a box, it is a FA 12". I ordered my 18 T22 with SP1 and did my own system. If you can get hooked up on stereo equipment it's much cheaper to do your own. The tower does not come prewired anymore with SP1 but the sub wire and bow wires are ran. I took the stock WS 6.5" cabin speakers out and replaced with black revo6's, I also cut the two 5" holes in the bow and added revo's up there also. My dealer wired my tower and cut the hole for the Revo 12" FA sub that actually sounds pretty good running off the syndx6 amp. I added a pair of Rev10s pushed by a ArcAudio 600.2. I also did a WS-420SQ because I hate the buttons on the infinity remote. I already had the Arc amp but bought everything else for half the price of SP3. I know SP3 has the Rev410s but think it's a lil overkill, 1 pair of properly powered Rev10s is plenty.

Does your WS-420SQ sync with surfgate alarm?

33 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Does your WS-420SQ sync with surfgate alarm?

I'm not sure, I haven't even tried it yet because I don't really surf. I'll give it shot next time out and let u know. 😎 since I ordered with SP1 I wonder if it was even hooked up 🤔

1 hour ago, st22eve said:

The sub is not in a box, it is a FA 12".

If its the Revo-12FA, it would be the correct application to not be placed in a small enclosure. Now, this does not mean that axis did everything correct in the installation of the woofer, but the 12FA does not require one.  

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

If its the Revo-12FA, it would be the correct application to not be placed in a small enclosure. Now, this does not mean that axis did everything correct in the installation of the woofer, but the 12FA does not require one.  

Exactly! I'm not sure how the systems come tuned from Malibu but I've heard they leave a lot on the table. With SP3 you get a syndx6 for the sub and 6 in boat speakers. Axis bridges the cabin speakers and bow speakers get individual channels. Giving the cabin speakers 100 watts each, the bow speakers 125 watts each and the sub 600 watts, with proper tuning the interior will rock!

I have SP3 in my ‘17 T23 and it sounds great. Very loud and clear, I added 1 WS 12”  sub with its own amp under the passenger compartment, put it in a ported box. The cool thing about the system is it’s all wet sounds equipment and it’s covered on the 5 yr warranty. Yes it was expensive but I don’t have the time to install my own system. I haven’t tuned mine yet but I listen to everything and like I said it sounds great

the axis sound packs seem really reasonable to me. Go price out wiring, 2 rev 410s, amps, 6 speakers, and a sub online. Then factor in install time. Some of you must get crazy pricing to say it costs less to DIY. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

the axis sound packs seem really reasonable to me. Go price out wiring, 2 rev 410s, amps, 6 speakers, and a sub online. Then factor in install time. Some of you must get crazy pricing to say it costs less to DIY. 

Ya this is kind of what I was thinking, I have some stuff that’s only a yr old in my Malibu that I could reuse, but I called the shop that my dealer uses and they quoted me $300 to install a sub, and $300 to wire the tower, so you could see how it would get expensive quickly. Sp3 is only like $25 a month financed lol. 

• Like 1

Now that i am pricing new wetsounds gear, I regret terribly not getting sp2.  I could have enjoyed it fir 4 years already and no way if you didn’t finance whole thing and had significant equity would you pay enough finance charges and original price tag to equal your investment in new wetsounds gear(just the gear, not the install ) when adding it aftermarket assuming same exact spec as sp2.  But I admit the postings about sp2 from 16 snd 17 seem much more positive than comments about sp2 in prior model years. Folks that did delete now get sp2 or 3 and have them tuned. 

if they still use a low grade alpine HU and speakers or other base line HU snd speakers without integrated BT in HU, you really don’t have a good base system to upgrade to wetsounds from sp1 like my alpine .  Now if they are using the 4 zone wetsounds HU with 25x4 at least you can build from there and built in BT.  Problem is tower snd bow still not pre wired though bow easy 

if you did stereo delete , probably better , but that would have meant no stereo fir me fir awhile cause I’m not an audiophile that can do own work. I struggled with a hot feed from accessory switch!!

My sp1 required a blue tooth adapter that is terrible. 

I want how my car works straight from head unit.

i guess. Could go with a ws420 BT EQ , does that work like a car snd immediately connect your phone when Power goes on from switch in panel ???

so if can’t retain HU or having to buy a $420 EQ that does auto connect , then is it worth it agsin to buy all necesssry WS gear later paying retail (seems most folks are using the on sale Syn 2.

I guess I could buy 3 syn2’s now while in sale and use 1each for 3 zones , I had hoped to have bow as separate zone with 4 total zones, tower, cabin , sub, but That would need a 4th syn 2??

actually s 4th syn2 at $1000 total would be less than a new syn6 plus 1 syn2 snd I’m guessing the two woukd be a better set up than  3 or 4 syn2 cause the 6 has all the zone and level control you need and opens up my 4 zone separate bow zone strategy 

at $249 I see why a lot  of syn2 amp postings lately  that also seem to indicate one zone usually like a sub.   not the towers??

Cause would new rev 10 pairs be slightly underpowered ?? Or not fully utilized ?

Is 6 REVO 6.5 in one zone two much fir the syn2

3 syn2’s and 3 zones is the sweet spot I guess??

trying to figure this out before I can’t buy 3 snd I know you guys have extremely technical answers to this I would never understand , but would I be happy within a $750 investment in 3 good syn 2 paired with the newest rev 10, one of  the new open box subs, and 6 REVO 6.5??

if the multiple syn2’s is the way to go I was thinking about buying and holding them to them acquire WS tower cabin and sub later through longer search and if possible on sale ??

Could this be my sweet spot?  I’m awfully patient about new big investments in non movable installed gear, surfboards well just go ahead and break the bank , ha ha

Edited by granddaddy55

I went with sp3, if I find it’s under powered I can always add another amp for the rev410s. I’m pretty sure I’ll be fine with it after some tuning. After looking at prices and the amount of work putting my own system in was gonna be, I just went for convenience. The one thing I may change is either adding ws420 or up grading to the higher model ws head unit.

• Like 1

@granddaddy55

You dont need four 2 chnl amps to have 4 zones. A 4 chnl can be 2 zone, bow and main cabin. A 5 or 6 chnl can 3 zones; bow, main cabin and woofer. An HTX-6 or Syn-DX6 would power the in-boat and woofer and give you 3 zones. Which amp would hinge on your desired bass.

Also, if you want 4 zone sof volume, you need to look at the Wet Sounds WS-220BT https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-220BT

Was looking at that , doesn’t the new wetsounds HU do that as well,  control the zones??? I’m really thinking about ditching the whole alpine sp1, 

that eq has BT , is it like your car where it has instant connect ,?  I’f so I might keep my alpine HU,

I’m assuming the wet HU would be like my car BT?

what's your opinion about going full wetsounds , with wet HU, and then I don’t need EQ?  Versus keeping the alpine and possibly it’s speakers. Though the EQ I like and the microphone (pretty cool to teach or communicate with rider/surfer, but wet HU is only $270 more than the EQ)

but I assume the analog controls on the EQ would be more simple to operate and change  and I save the $270 that pays for an amp, 

though I think the wet HU has programmable profiles for the zones based on your situation of riding versus just floating and engine off with labeled preset buttons/icons on the screen 

so your saying I could adequately run my rev10’s and say sub or bow on one syn 2 snd cabin and sub or bow on 2nd syn 2  and not be underpowering the towers or subs?  that’s  only $500 to amp entire boat and tower.  If your an audiophile and think me the non audiophile woukd be happy with that set up,  I’m going to buy 2 syn2’s now and hold them to acquire the rest of the equipment 

since I didn’t buy sp2 this is going to be a bear and just trying to keep overall costs down and quality as high as those $$ allow.  If the more capable amp is the way to go, great I will, but if that means for four zones I would need another amp possibly for 4 zones and the EQ or the MC1 and anither amp, that’s staring to add up, I still need rev 10’s and at least two if not 6 cabin speakers and sub, so trying to keep it down

i can always upgrade one of the Syn 2’s at a later date, but with 2 syn 2 I get 4 zones now but need either the EQ or mc1 to manage 4

Edited by granddaddy55

Give me a week and I'll tell you all about the new WS mc1. I have it. I should have my boat back friday(stupid snow storm in the north east). I'll be working on installing it saturday hopefully. 

• Like 1

If the 420 is auto connect BT, I could save some resl bucks using my alpine HU snd the 420. Just don’t think the alpine is worth keeping , I guess it will be ok but I don’t want to upgrade rest to wetsounds snd then be dissatisfied with the combination

i guess the 420 has enough sources that the alpine HU basically becomes a volume control snd is no longer s source

@granddaddy55

The WS-220BT suggestion, is over the WS-420BT and desire for 4 zone volume mentioned in the previous post, as an add-on to an existing traditional head unit. Now, If I recall correctly, your 2014 would have the Sony CDX-H910-UI marine head unit. That was an excellent head unit for its time. Hated to see sony retire it, rather then revise it. None the less, It works well with a number of universal blue tooth receivers, if blue tooth was all that one needed/lacked in their system. Even if all they needed was 2-zone volume, id consider keeping the 910-UI and adding the blue tooth and a single 2-zone controller. 

If one wants 2 or more zone control, blue tooth and doesnt need or want traditional head unit functions, then you can go with something like the WS-220BT or WS-420BT. You could locate where the existing head is, or keep the head unit and just add the 220/420 inline for blue tooth and volume control. Could even go with the 420SQ and WW-BTUR. 

if you a very clean, all-in-1 BT and volume and still wanted USB and tuner, then the new MC-1 is the ticket! The volume controls are very quick to access and easy to use. You can use all 4, or disable the ones you dont need. 

A Syn-2 was a solid amp. Al though its a bit light for a pair of Rev-10, its not a bad setup. The Syn-2 can run a 4 ohm woofer or 1 or 2 pair of in-boats. im not opposed to multiple amps, but you have to consider space needed and the extra time and cabling involved to install extra amp, when there might be single amp that could do the job of 2 or 3 of those amp. 

Just want to make sure you knew, it does not take 4 amps to get the 4 volume zones. Theres a number amp options that could do it without under powering any speakers. 

Besides the Syn-2 being a little lite for a pair of Rev-10, 3 Syn-2 for the in-boat setup would be rocking: 750W rms to a 12" woofer in a ported enclosure and roughly 190-200W rms to 3 pair of Revo-6.  

• Like 1

Not high jack here, but will an htx2 run the four in boat(xs-65) speakers? I have an sd2 to run my rev10's also. All of this will be run by the mc1. I'm gonna add a sub(most likely an fa12) and will buy an amp capable of powering the sub and the in boats(will most likely add two bow speakers also, so six in boats. Just curious if the htx2 will get me by until I upgrade. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread for me.....Have an 18 T22 on order with SP2.  Does the standard head unit allow volume zone control?  Thanks

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, CharlieEcho said:

Interesting thread for me.....Have an 18 T22 on order with SP2.  Does the standard head unit allow volume zone control?  Thanks

Yes it does. Was just out on my 18 A24 with SP2 yesterday for the first time. There are 2 zones. Cabin speakers are zone 1 and tower speakers are zone 2. You can easily turn up all volume or toggle between the two zones. If you are using the surfband it only controls the tower speakers volume for the person behind the boat. 

@onewake09

The HTX-2 would be a great choice to power 2 pair of in-boats. Thats a ton of power for the XS-65i, but manageable. When you are ready to add that 3rd pair and woofer, pick up an HTX-6 for the in-boats and re-purpose the HTX-2 for the 4 ohm Rev-12FA. 

22 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Working on installing a volume knob for 2018 A24 audio system, can't believe the chose a head unit without.. Come on Man!!!!:dontknow:

Its junk. Just get an mc1!!! It was the first thing i hated when i first took my 17’ a20 out.