Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WS Syn2 vs stock RF for Rev 8's

hethj7

I can't recall the exact stock RF model powering the factory pair of Rev 8s on my 2016 LSV, but I know they seem underpowered.  Plus, the gains are turned up so much, I'm picking up some noise and amplifying it in the system.

Looks like the Syn2 is down to $250 now.     I'm thinking of picking one up to power my single pair of Rev 8s, but don't know if it will achieve everythign I want (wake up the tower a bit while also being able to run at lower gains and decrease the noise).   It seem like perhaps the SD2 is what would be the no brainer, but it is way more pricey than the Syn2 (for good reasons, no doubt).  

And yes, I know to ground to same source, etc., etc. for the noise.   I'm going to recheck wiring when the boat comes out of storage, but I think that was already done.   The noise came in once I added the WS420. 

Edited by hethj7

Well, if you think you might ever put a second pair of REV8s on then getting the SD2 isn't a bad way to go, but $$$.  I just put one in for a single pair of M880ETXv3, but I do plan on putting in another pair in the distance future and I tend to prefer over-amping my system as a habit.

I had the SYN4 in my old boat driving PRO80s and a PRO485 for a real long time with no problems and it's still going strong as far as I know for the new owner.  Nothing wrong with that series of amp.  And that price is nice right now for sure.  I'd go that route just because of the value.

Lets start with the difference. The black rockford p500x2 is not a marine amp, the Syn-2 is. If its the silver PM500x2, it is marine. The 500x2 IIRC is still class A/B, the Syn-2 is GH, so more efficient. The Syn-2 will deliver 200W x 2 @ 4 ohm v's 150W x 2 @ 4 ohm. Not a huge difference in peak volume, but it can help lower the gain level while still reaching peak output. The Syn-2 can run summed -mono, which I like on a tower. The 500x2 is going to be stereo. 

For a single pair of Rev-8, the HTX-4 is hard to beat at 300W rms x 2. 

58 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

he noise came in once I added the WS420.

This should have resulted in the amp gain being lowered after installation. The entire system should be re-tuned with the addition of a line driver like the WS-420. There are other tips to tuning and eliminating unwanted noise. If the WS-420 was purchased new through an authorized dealer, enlist their help in setting up, wiring, tuning and noise troubleshooting.  

8 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Well, if you think you might ever put a second pair of REV8s on then getting the SD2 isn't a bad way to go, but $$$.  I just put one in for a single pair of M880ETXv3, but I do plan on putting in another pair in the distance future and I tend to prefer over-amping my system as a habit.

I had the SYN4 in my old boat driving PRO80s and a PRO485 for a real long time with no problems and it's still going strong as far as I know for the new owner.  Nothing wrong with that series of amp.  And that price is nice right now for sure.  I'd go that route just because of the value.

No plans to ever add another pair, and I really don't see that changing.  Probably upgrade boats again before I do much more to this one.  

7 hours ago, MLA said:

Lets start with the difference. The black rockford p500x2 is not a marine amp, the Syn-2 is. If its the silver PM500x2, it is marine. The 500x2 IIRC is still class A/B, the Syn-2 is GH, so more efficient. The Syn-2 will deliver 200W x 2 @ 4 ohm v's 150W x 2 @ 4 ohm. Not a huge difference in peak volume, but it can help lower the gain level while still reaching peak output. The Syn-2 can run summed -mono, which I like on a tower. The 500x2 is going to be stereo. 

For a single pair of Rev-8, the HTX-4 is hard to beat at 300W rms x 2. 

This should have resulted in the amp gain being lowered after installation. The entire system should be re-tuned with the addition of a line driver like the WS-420. There are other tips to tuning and eliminating unwanted noise. If the WS-420 was purchased new through an authorized dealer, enlist their help in setting up, wiring, tuning and noise troubleshooting.  

Hmm, the HTX-4 looks like a nice option for a few more bucks, but not near the price of the SD2.   

I can't say if the WS420 resulted in being able to turn down my gain, as I installed the WS, then "tuned" for the first time.   Man, I wish you or some of our other knowledgeable members were in my neck of the woods to look over my system and tune it.  I called the only shop around that I think does marine and is a WS dealer and just from the phone conversation, nothing made me excited to take my boat over there for a tune.  

40 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I can't say if the WS420 resulted in being able to turn down my gain, as I installed the WS, then "tuned" for the first time

The premise is that if you have an amp already in use and its tuned close to ideal, then add the line driver, then said amp would actually need the gain dialed back. Leaving the gain alone, could result in clipping, distortion or unwanted gain hiss or other noise. 

MLA a have SD2 powering a pair REV10's . I have them hooked up in stereo are you saying I would be better if I bridged the amp to mono. I have a WS420.