Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, Woodski said:

I would bet your are feeling the effect of rope attachment distance to tracking fin distance as the tracking fins are the pivot point for side to side or the slight rotation as you side pull the boat.  Looks like you will be experimenting with nose ballast to move the rooster out of the way.  For some odd reason, I don't see you getting out the drill of saw to mod you new baby to move the rooster...

We did fill the front ballast, I couldn't feel much of a difference, but my friend said the boat tracked better. And hull mods are tempting!

ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'm anxious to see how you like skiing it back to back with a ZO DD in slalom mode. I find that behind PP or hand throttle I need to ride the handle a bit longer to generate the same width. On the flip side, I find staying connected off the second wake far easier without ZO yanking on me. Usually use B2. 

I probably won't ski the VTX much in the middle of the summer since my main ski partner and friend has a 11 LXi with ZO. It has the LS3 too, no issue generating swing :lol:. It will probably be more of an early/late season set boat. With a few sets here and there throughout the summer.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I'm anxious to see how you like skiing it back to back with a ZO DD in slalom mode. I find that behind PP or hand throttle I need to ride the handle a bit longer to generate the same width. On the flip side, I find staying connected off the second wake far easier without ZO yanking on me. Usually use B2. 

I have been behind PP boats for 5 years; this season my 1st ZO experience. Started at B2, have changed to A3 and really like it - maybe a new ZO thread discussion in the works? (Sorry didn't mean to hijack)

ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

I have been behind PP boats for 5 years; this season my 1st ZO experience. Started at B2, have changed to A3 and really like it - maybe a new ZO thread discussion in the works? (Sorry didn't mean to hijack)

No worries. I ski B2 too. I’ve tried C1, B3 and A3. I always seem to come back to B2. 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I probably won't ski the VTX much in the middle of the summer since my main ski partner and friend has a 11 LXi with ZO. It has the LS3 too, no issue generating swing :lol:. It will probably be more of an early/late season set boat. With a few sets here and there throughout the summer.

All my buddies have ski boats as well. I need to make friends with a surf boat owner so I can have that option as well!!👍😊

i have PP and my primary ski buddy loves his ZO so we primarily use his boat. I ski B2 but can easily go back/forth to PP no problem. 

On 5/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

That’s great news! What prop and transmission is in the 2016? Also did you ski off the back pylon or center pylon?

I was skiing off the removable Center Pylon.  Being an ex DD guy, out of principal don't think the rear pylon will ever get used :) .  

My prop is the 2249 /  15x14.25 

I assume the Transmission is the standard 1.76:1 reduction gear.

Fully ballasted with rear 550 PNP Bags I am running about 4k RMPs at 10.8mph.  I am going to try additional ballast in the bow to try to bring the front down a bit to see if that also brings down the RPMs.

Edited by thealy
Adding information
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Welp, turned the TXi in today. I made it quick. No talking or waxing. Didn’t even really take that good of a good bye picture. Man I’m going to miss that boat. 

:cry:

167FF04B-C04F-44BC-A7B6-DEFE7137A2AE.thumb.jpeg.b431c9f91153b74b90a0280dea8dcfff.jpeg

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
ahopkins22LSV

Getting closer. We are going with a 2019. Should finalize details in the first or second week of June. They have some people interested in the TXi so we agreed to bring it in. We have a ton of friends with boats and they are helping us out to bridge the gap too.  :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Welp, turned the TXi in today. I made it quick. No talking or waxing. Didn’t even really take that good of a good bye picture. Man I’m going to miss that boat. 

:cry:

167FF04B-C04F-44BC-A7B6-DEFE7137A2AE.thumb.jpeg.b431c9f91153b74b90a0280dea8dcfff.jpeg

That is a sad picture if I ever saw one … hopefully no delays on big brother.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Just got word that spray date is 7/18! First 2019 VTX build slot!

Not to be a negative Nancy... maybe this is a question out of curiosity... but do you really want the FIRST build slot?  I feel if there were going to be a QAQC issue, the first one would be more likely to have the issues. Maybe I am completely wrong! Congrats!

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Not to be a negative Nancy... maybe this is a question out of curiosity... but do you really want the FIRST build slot?  I feel if there were going to be a QAQC issue, the first one would be more likely to have the issues. Maybe I am completely wrong! Congrats!

No changes to the vtx that aren’t across the board so I’m not too worried about it! 

56 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Here is an updated image for the interior. The images for the gel are still messed up in Malibu’s system but will hopefully be fixed this week. Although I’m almost more excited to see this interior over the exterior! Gotta hand it to my wife. She did a great job picking a scheme that I’m really excited about too!

That is a good looking boat.  You aren't to worried about the dark interior?  I am in Alberta and the dark interior portions of mine get bloody hot!   

Looks fantastic though!

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

That is a good looking boat.  You aren't to worried about the dark interior?  I am in Alberta and the dark interior portions of mine get bloody hot!   

Looks fantastic though!

Thank you very much! It’s a slight concern. They say the new vinyl is much better with heat and at minimum it cools off with just a splash of water or if you are slightly wet from the lake.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Here is an updated image for the interior. The images for the gel are still messed up in Malibu’s system but will hopefully be fixed this week. Although I’m almost more excited to see this interior over the exterior! Gotta hand it to my wife. She did a great job picking a scheme that I’m really excited about too!

E8105174-67C9-4BD3-AA72-3F8F55B2E527.thumb.jpeg.9bc64ddac62d39e15c274b6ad6d54096.jpeg

VTX got the new captains chair by the looks of it....

There’s that “new vinyl” word again. I’m gonna jump in the lake before you swing by my dock to pick me up. That seat will be soaked before I sit down. Assuming I’m still invited. 😎

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

VTX got the new captains chair by the looks of it....

Correct. I think every boat did. 

6 hours ago, gdmatson said:

There’s that “new vinyl” word again. I’m gonna jump in the lake before you swing by my dock to pick me up. That seat will be soaked before I sit down. Assuming I’m still invited. 😎

Haha of course! If you ever aren’t working!