Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
29 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Looks awesome Hopkins!  Only thing I would possibly change would be to have 750's for PNP.  Maybe this isn't necessary or won't fit in the newer hull design, but if 750's fit you should go for it.  In my 2012 VTX I had 550's.  In my 2014 I have 750's and it makes a big difference.  I don't know if they changed the rear storage compartment size when they updated in '16, but if you can fit 'em, I think you'll be happy.  Looks great, love the colors!

Thank you! I will investigate for sure.

6 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Stratosphere blue color matched bezels for the trailer lights. Another very cheap but cool option. Adds a very nice touch to the trailer imo. @IXFE did it on his trailer and it looks amazing, especially for the price.

Good call on this add. I’ve been checking this box for years!  I swear it’s one of the most overlooked features on the list. If you skip it you get chrome light bezels, which makes no sense because nothing on the boats is chrome anymore. 

MSRP is only $82 for non-flake. I think flake is a little over $100 but still so cheap considering what a nice touch it is. 

Here are a few pics of my last several...

88ECC667-0C2E-40FE-9D20-565A7984DC5E.jpeg

34C47327-74FB-4BF4-9BB6-628ECCCD9983.jpeg

D7E5313E-3713-4DF3-9F86-5E091D251F5C.png

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Good call on this add. I’ve been checking this box for years!  I swear it’s one of the most overlooked features on the list. If you skip it you get chrome light bezels, which makes no sense because nothing on the boats is chrome anymore. 

MSRP is only $82 for non-flake. I think flake is a little over $100 but still so cheap considering what a nice touch it is. 

Here are a few pics of my last several...

Did you have any issues with the paint peeling?  I know you only keep the boats one season, but I have seen lots of them flaking on the boatmate trailers.

17 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

Did you have any issues with the paint peeling?  I know you only keep the boats one season, but I have seen lots of them flaking on the boatmate trailers.

My dad's orange is peeling- no flake.

7 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Here is a general list of options. Tweaked a few things today. Hopefully get my spray date this week too!

Soft grip floor - sterling. Wife is super excited about this

VTX sound pack, sub and icon 8 tower speakers.

Heater - wife would have cancelled the whole boat without one

Sport dash

CS Gen II bimini with surf pockets

Standard swivel racks. Going to swap one for a slalom rack when the boat comes in. Maybe in the future add one PTM. 

SG and PW II obviously 

Pop up cleats, two pair

Battery option two with on/off

Removeable center ski pylon

Docking lights.

Blue underwater lights

Backup camera. Debated this one for a bit. Love it on the boats that I drive for events but can also see not needing it at all. Figured with one kid here and maybe more in the future would be a good thing to have for extra safety precautions. 

Bow ballast and plug n play plumbing. Probably going 550’s.

C.S. boat cover. The new taps2 system for the hangtyte is money and you get a swim platform cover now.

All black trailer

Standard wheels with spare and mount. Was going to buy my own spare but the price isn’t terrible from Malibu to be honest. 

Rear trailer steps. Cool thing about selecting this option is you get the slim leds. Probably the best bang for your buck option you can select!

Stratosphere blue color matched bezels for the trailer lights. Another very cheap but cool option. Adds a very nice touch to the trailer imo. @IXFE did it on his trailer and it looks amazing, especially for the price.

I debated doing a few things myself because I like working on stuff and I know I could have saved some money in places. But now when the boat shows up she’s ready to go which will be much better for us. With my wife in her final year of DNP school and still working almost full time we have a tight schedule! And that just means I can change things in a year or two :)

Come on spray date...!

That's exciting!  I'm stoked for you!  Does that sport dash option or something else in there include ZO?  Even if it's not your primary slalom rig, that'd be good to have to replicate the pull of the ZO boats you use.

EDIT:  Is that even available?  I know it's what my bud's MC surf boat (forget which) has for speed control.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

No. I haven’t had that issue. But like you said, I don’t keep them very long. 

I will say this... I can’t see why it would peel off any more than the paint on the trailer itself. If it happens within the warranty period (5 years) just make Malibu replace them. If it happens afterwards, I’d bet dollars to donuts that the same trailer has other issues likely related to where it’s been stored / how it’s been used.  I’ve seen a lot of beat up trailers. But if you treat your trailer like you treat your boat (ie always wipe down, store indoors, frequently service) it should stay nice!

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That's exciting!  I'm stoked for you!  Does that sport dash option or something else in there include ZO?  Even if it's not your primary slalom rig, that'd be good to have to replicate the pull of the ZO boats you use.

EDIT:  Is that even available?  I know it's what my bud's MC surf boat (forget which) has for speed control.

ZO is standard cruise. Still have the paddle wheel option but all Malibu's come with ZO now.

Sport dash is the phone holder, multi-command rotary knob, and the quick buttons for SG and Wedge.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
4 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

ZO is standard cruise. Still have the paddle wheel option but all Malibu's come with ZO now.

Sweet!  Do they expose all the three event settings or is that in a special menu somewhere.  I imagine a bunch of clueless dads pulling tubes with Trick-C3 engaged. :)

"Hey son!  This thing has a JUMP mode!  That will help you with your inverts for sure!"

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Sweet!  Do they expose all the three event settings or is that in a special menu somewhere.  I imagine a bunch of clueless dads pulling tubes with Trick-C3 engaged. :)

"Hey son!  This thing has a JUMP mode!  That will help you with your inverts for sure!"

No I think it’s the wakeboard version to be honest. But I don’t know for sure. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

What year boat?

2014.  It looks pretty bad.  It is peeling on the lights as well as the ribbed footholds.  We are going to redo it in the next few weeks.  Not sure how it was treated by the PO, but he keeps it in the garage.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

2014.  It looks pretty bad.  It is peeling on the lights as well as the ribbed footholds.  We are going to redo it in the next few weeks.  Not sure how it was treated by the PO, but he keeps it in the garage.

I only liked your post because I’m happy to hear it’s not a year or two old lol. I guess time will tell on ours. 

11 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Yeesh, my 2012 boatmate doesn't have anything but some rock chips.  2014 would still be a Boatmate right?

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, River Monsters said:

Awesome setup.  Congrats!  Did you cross shop the GS20 at all?

I did. I actually really like the boat. But I would be spending more. Plus I don’t think I could handle giving up my ski tug and switching brands :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Stevo said:

I thought @Chrisjjbrownwas selling his and buying a G

im sure he’d make you a good deal

You know my price

Congrats man the VTX is a nice boat.    I wouldn't worry about the ski wake you should be able to free ski that thing all day long.  

750's in rear - bow sack 650-  and 500-600 on the floor  -   baby swing on the tower and you and your wife should be surfing just fine - with a spotter

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

You know my price

Congrats man the VTX is a nice boat.    I wouldn't worry about the ski wake you should be able to free ski that thing all day long.  

750's in rear - bow sack 650-  and 500-600 on the floor  -   baby swing on the tower and you and your wife should be surfing just fine - with a spotter

Thanks man! We are really looking forward to it. Waiting for the spray date is killing us though!

On 3/16/2018 at 3:43 PM, Stevo said:

Because he can finance the whole boat for low % rates

not so cheap anymore.... interest are going up fast!!  I was shocked at how much they have gone up since last year...

1 hour ago, bamabonners said:

not so cheap anymore.... interest are going up fast!!  I was shocked at how much they have gone up since last year...

Really? I just locked in my loan on my '18 for 4.25%. On my '14, it was 3.99%. Might need to shop around a bit.

5 hours ago, Raimie said:

Really? I just locked in my loan on my '18 for 4.25%. On my '14, it was 3.99%. Might need to shop around a bit.

Who did you go thru? I have seen mid 4's to mid 5's lately....4.25 would be nice on boat. I locked in house construction loan in Jan for 4.125 and house loans have gone up almost a point since then depending on where you look. I think they will just keep getting higher too

4 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Who did you go thru? I have seen mid 4's to mid 5's lately....4.25 would be nice on boat. I locked in house construction loan in Jan for 4.125 and house loans have gone up almost a point since then depending on where you look. I think they will just keep getting higher too

House loan i just locked in a couple days ago was 4.25  so rates have not gone up much. 

48 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

@Infinitysurf @oldjeep  Who are you guys using?

I got my construction loan thru State Employees Credit Union. By far the easiest closing ever for me. Single closing with locked rated...construction loan rolls into permanent. Many banks don't do that and after construction you have 2nd closing for mortgage with lots of BS and asking for paperwork and other crap every with very strong credit and financials. I will always use them in future for my construction loans since I build every 2yrs and flip.