Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

I've skied behind both the 20VTX (a 2007, a 2015, and a 2017) and the new 21VLX with a diamond hull. I tried them at 28, 30, and 32mph at 15 off. The VLX wake is actually a little smaller, more like what the earlier years VTX were like - both are soft to cut through, but I'm thinking because the helm is a little farther forward on the 21VLX the wake is a little more mellow. The VTX is a deeper, more comfortable boat though, and with more options available. It's an awesome boat - you will love it! @ahopkinsTXi What options are you getting? Are you getting a bow ballast tank? 

Side note: surf pipe makes a huge difference on the ski wake - I would NOT get it if you'll be skiing

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah we are going with the bow ballast. Should I not? Definitely not going surf pipe. I didn’t know for sure but I assumed t would not be good at all for the ski wake. 

Most likely finalizing options this weekend. 

12 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yeah we are going with the bow ballast. Should I not? Definitely not going surf pipe. I didn’t know for sure but I assumed t would not be good at all for the ski wake. 

If you are going to surf I would definitely get the bow tank. It makes a big difference on that boat. Congrats!!

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, chantel said:

If you are going to surf I would definitely get the bow tank. It makes a big difference on that boat. Congrats!!

That’s what I thought and I figured it was a no brained but you made me second guess myself! :lol:

And thank you!!

34 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Definitely get the bow tank.  If for no other reason than it supports the center bow cushion better.  It is also good for leveling the boat with a full back seat

Was that the Novi show? I was going to go down but been sick all week so didn't go down. BUMMER! My brother is just a short drive from the show and I was going to spend the weekend with him.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

We are stepping up to a VTX. :shocked:

Wife and I have been talking about this quite a bit since out daughter was born last August. Yes, I am compromising on the ski wake but this will be so much better for 99% of the boating we do.  We want our time on the water to be maximized and this will definitely do that for the family as add the element of being able to surf on our own too. My wife is much more interested in surfing over skiing too.

Also, working with Skiers Pier and Tommy's has been awesome. The transition seems to be going great and I have nothing but good things to say so far. The feedback I have heard from friends and others at the boat shows have been the same. I really look forward to working with everyone on their new team in the future!

So we all know I love Vapor Blue so naturally, here is what we are going with:

VTX5.thumb.jpg.04c35f5985bb76958fa430e39883eb7b.jpg

Just kidding, my wife would never approve that ;). Here is what we came up with last night:

VTX1.thumb.jpg.a4eb4b3c5f3d6850632e5a56d2a7493a.jpg

VTX2.thumb.jpg.091ae52b3e86e788a0817b3e7180388e.jpg

VTX3.thumb.jpg.b9c279ce255e7841d5dd92266fc23cdc.jpg

VTX4.thumb.jpg.d3fb6fc7cb169c8112d8580d35fe2dfd.jpg

My wife thinks your wife has great taste.  

7DC10C57-BE13-434F-9068-DA2A31250AB4.jpeg

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, BLSousa said:

My wife thinks your wife has great taste.  

7DC10C57-BE13-434F-9068-DA2A31250AB4.jpeg

My wife did the whole design for ours too! I only requested to have some blue. It’s not hard to keep me happy with blue in the design. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yeah we just stopped in real quick to finalize everything.

We left about 4:30. Must have just missed you. Like the build. Looking forward to seeing in person! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The bimini and baby swing is the only thing the wife is looking forward to about the tower lol. 

And the fact that she will probably revoke all of your driving privileges and be driving it all the time now since she designed it! It's all good though I always tell my lady there's nothing hotter than when she's driving the boat! 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

And the fact that she will probably revoke all of your driving privileges and be driving it all the time now since she designed it! It's all good though I always tell my lady there's nothing hotter than when she's driving the boat! 

Haha yeah I have no problem with her driving. It’s kinda nice to just be a passenger at times. 

my wife does a lot , prolly most of the towing.  I am usually coaching. it is funny, I am the old dad, but I surf better than all my kids.  diff. is I want to be proficient at it and for them it is just another fun thing to do. also every time my boat goes out I go with it.  I have way more time behind the boat than my kids.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Here is a general list of options. Tweaked a few things today. Hopefully get my spray date this week too!

Soft grip floor - sterling. Wife is super excited about this

VTX sound pack, sub and icon 8 tower speakers.

Heater - wife would have cancelled the whole boat without one

Sport dash

CS Gen II bimini with surf pockets

Standard swivel racks. Going to swap one for a slalom rack when the boat comes in. Maybe in the future add one PTM. 

SG and PW II obviously 

Pop up cleats, two pair

Battery option two with on/off

Removeable center ski pylon

Docking lights.

Blue underwater lights

Backup camera. Debated this one for a bit. Love it on the boats that I drive for events but can also see not needing it at all. Figured with one kid here and maybe more in the future would be a good thing to have for extra safety precautions. 

Bow ballast and plug n play plumbing. Probably going 550’s.

C.S. boat cover. The new taps2 system for the hangtyte is money and you get a swim platform cover now.

All black trailer

Standard wheels with spare and mount. Was going to buy my own spare but the price isn’t terrible from Malibu to be honest. 

Rear trailer steps. Cool thing about selecting this option is you get the slim leds. Probably the best bang for your buck option you can select!

Stratosphere blue color matched bezels for the trailer lights. Another very cheap but cool option. Adds a very nice touch to the trailer imo. @IXFE did it on his trailer and it looks amazing, especially for the price.

I debated doing a few things myself because I like working on stuff and I know I could have saved some money in places. But now when the boat shows up she’s ready to go which will be much better for us. With my wife in her final year of DNP school and still working almost full time we have a tight schedule! And that just means I can change things in a year or two :)

Come on spray date...!

5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Here is a general list of options. Tweaked a few things today. Hopefully get my spray date this week too!

Soft grip floor - sterling. Wife is super excited about this

VTX sound pack, sub and icon 8 tower speakers.

Heater - wife would have cancelled the whole boat without one

Sport dash

CS Gen II bimini with surf pockets

Standard swivel racks. Going to swap one for a slalom rack when the boat comes in. Maybe in the future add one PTM. 

SG and PW II obviously 

Pop up cleats, two pair

Battery option two with on/off

Removeable center ski pylon

Docking lights.

Blue underwater lights

Backup camera. Debated this one for a bit. Love it on the boats that I drive for events but can also see not needing it at all. Figured with one kid here and maybe more in the future would be a good thing to have for extra safety precautions. 

Bow ballast and plug n play plumbing. Probably going 550’s.

C.S. boat cover. The new taps2 system for the hangtyte is money and you get a swim platform cover now.

All black trailer

Standard wheels with spare and mount. Was going to buy my own spare but the price isn’t terrible from Malibu to be honest. 

Rear trailer steps. Cool thing about selecting this option is you get the slim leds. Probably the best bang for your buck option you can select!

Stratosphere blue color matched bezels for the trailer lights. Another very cheap but cool option. Adds a very nice touch to the trailer imo. @IXFE did it on his trailer and it looks amazing, especially for the price.

I debated doing a few things myself because I like working on stuff and I know I could have saved some money in places. But now when the boat shows up she’s ready to go which will be much better for us. With my wife in her final year of DNP school and still working almost full time we have a tight schedule! And that just means I can change things in a year or two :)

Come on spray date...!

Looks awesome Hopkins!  Only thing I would possibly change would be to have 750's for PNP.  Maybe this isn't necessary or won't fit in the newer hull design, but if 750's fit you should go for it.  In my 2012 VTX I had 550's.  In my 2014 I have 750's and it makes a big difference.  I don't know if they changed the rear storage compartment size when they updated in '16, but if you can fit 'em, I think you'll be happy.  Looks great, love the colors!

• Like 1