Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towable cover material

RedWakesetterVLX

I need a new cover.  I found a somewhat local guy (2 hours away) who builds custom boat covers  only.  He's not an upholstery shop...just boat covers.  Been in business over 20 years https://www.chucksboatcovers.com/full-covers

I told him I need a towable cover because I trailer 3 hours one way multiple times over the summer.  The boat is stored outside when not in use over the summer months. He recommended a material called Top Gun.  He said it's great for a "towing cover" but not for storage as it doesn't breath.  I told him I want Sunbrella but he said it's not the best to tow with because over time it will stretch but the best for storage especially for ski boats because of moisture. 

He also recommended a material call Weather Max and stated it was an in between Top Gun and Sunbrella.

He's going to install snaps on the underside of the rub rail to secure it.  No drilling in the gel. My current cover doesn't have snaps, uses a draw string and ropes. Flaps a lot while towing and ripped on the rear ski pylon last summer. 

I'd look into an Evolution cover but my boat (2000 Wakesetter) has an illusion X tower that was added by the dealer.  Not sure if they can make without seeing in person. 

Anyone have any experience or advise to share? 

Edited by Cazan

Me personally, I dont want a snap near my boat unless its for carpet. I would do a new sunbrella like you mentioned, and have several straps that go to trailer frame. I have a buddy when he trailers on freeway or at freeway speeds, just wraps the boat with saran wrap where the cover actually makes contact. Or get the good stuff 'Top Gun" and have vents installed.

14 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

Me personally, I dont want a snap near my boat unless its for carpet. I would do a new sunbrella like you mentioned, and have several straps that go to trailer frame. I have a buddy when he trailers on freeway or at freeway speeds, just wraps the boat with saran wrap where the cover actually makes contact. Or get the good stuff 'Top Gun" and have vents installed.

He said he will install vents but it still could potentially cause mold/mildew over time because the material simply just doesn't breath much.  

I really don't want to buy a "storage" cover and a "tow" cover. 

Edited by Cazan

Great lakes boat covers.  They use sunbrella and used to be the exclusive supplier to Malibu. AFAIK

Edited by electricjohn
13 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Great lakes boat covers.  They use sunbrella and used to be the exclusive supplier to Malibu. AFAIK

Not sure I could get it to work since my tower is not factory...a vride would be close but I'm not sure it would fit exactly. 

15 hours ago, Cazan said:

I need a new cover.  I found a somewhat local guy (2 hours away) who builds custom boat covers  only.  He's not an upholstery shop...just boat covers.  Been in business over 20 years https://www.chucksboatcovers.com/full-covers

I told him I need a towable cover because I trailer 3 hours one way multiple times over the summer.  The boat is stored outside when not in use over the summer months. He recommended a material called Top Gun.  He said it's great for a "towing cover" but not for storage as it doesn't breath.  I told him I want Sunbrella but he said it's not the best to tow with because over time it will stretch but the best for storage especially for ski boats because of moisture. 

He also recommended a material call Weather Max and stated it was an in between Top Gun and Sunbrella.

He's going to install snaps on the underside of the rub rail to secure it.  No drilling in the gel. My current cover doesn't have snaps, uses a draw string and ropes. Flaps a lot while towing and ripped on the rear ski pylon last summer. 

I'd look into an Evolution cover but my boat (2000 Wakesetter) has an illusion X tower that was added by the dealer.  Not sure if they can make without seeing in person. 

Anyone have any experience or advise to share? 

I would still talk w/ Evolution - granted my Sunsetter had a titan tower - but he built my cover w/o actually seeing the boat...pics might just help.  I trailer my boat 300 miles each way during the summer - usually 3-4 times and love the cover.  Note that I do not use this cover for winter storage.

23 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Not sure I could get it to work since my tower is not factory...a vride would be close but I'm not sure it would fit exactly. 

Here is the Evolution cover ordering form.  Have to take measurements for the tower on the form.

http://evolutioncovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Tower-Locator-and-order-form.pdf

4 hours ago, DonT said:

I would still talk w/ Evolution - granted my Sunsetter had a titan tower - but he built my cover w/o actually seeing the boat...pics might just help.  I trailer my boat 300 miles each way during the summer - usually 3-4 times and love the cover.  Note that I do not use this cover for winter storage.

Ok I'll give them a call.  Thanks 

If you do any ordering, not sure how high your ski pylon, but measure that out too. My 98 has the small, basically 6' high, but I have seen some later years that are 16-18 high from what it looks like in pics.

23 hours ago, Choiceind said:

If you do any ordering, not sure how high your ski pylon, but measure that out too. My 98 has the small, basically 6' high, but I have seen some later years that are 16-18 high from what it looks like in pics.

Good call.  Mine is probably 16"-18". That's actually what ripped my current cover when I was on the freeway.  I'm getting her out of storage next week. 

Edited by Cazan
  • 1 month later...

Ended up going with a local guy and I'm pretty happy with the results.  Black Sunbrella. The tie straps are only if I tow long distance freeway as a precaution.

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.49e85f4c2f2c9cd517787e50d6a9bb93.JPG

I also had custom side skit made to cover my freshly refurbish red gelcoat.  Snaps under rub rail then uses a draw string to hold snug to bottom of the hull.

IMG_1996.thumb.JPG.db24fe5e27aeaad4669689e30943a31f.JPGIMG_1998.thumb.JPG.2abf95366c84867102f0f9b3c617e0bf.JPGIMG_1999.thumb.JPG.d818ff2ceff00de6e71e869c4c325dc3.JPG

No no more white knuckles towing worrying about the cover. He gave me a good bit of left over Sunbrella so now I'm going to make custom covers for my new Kicker HCLD tower setup. 

Edited by Cazan
15 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Personally I would never use the tow straps on the cover. Just picture them flapping against the gel, no thanks....

Yeah I hear ya.   They are soft/silk like rope.  I towed about 2 hours at 70 MPH and had no issues.  Even if I've got loose it wouldn't hurt the gel.  Keep in mind my boat is 18 years old...if I had a newer one more expensive boat I'd probably have the same opinion. 

Not trying to be rude but why does the skirt snap to the rubrail rather than attach to the cover?  I'm trying to picture a scenario where you would want the skirts on and not the cover...  My skirts are 4 pieces where each side is split at the tower base.   I can take the cover and skirts off and reinstall with it all staying connected.  

The skirt has double sided snaps.  It attaches to the rub rail then the top cover snaps over top on it. It can be one piece if I want.  Water run off the cover over the skirt. It's only for storage and works good.  I'm happy with it. 

Edited by Cazan

Here is $.02 from a guy who's spent thousands on covers over the years...

I've had many boats and have experimented with all the cover materials.  On the open bow runabouts that I've had, we installed snaps and had both Sunbrella and Top Gun covers over the years.  The sunbrella was the easiest to work with, but its a weaker material more prone to tearing and snaps pulling out.  It also stretched so I had to have it trimmed every couple of years.  Good: The color doesn't fade and it is much easier to fold/roll up for storage.

The Top Gun material is much tougher.  Harder to work with when its cold.  All contact poits with the hull must be padded with felt (or something) because the material is abrasive.  The cover held up better than Sunbrella while towing.  It did start to fade after 2 summers being moored.

Latest cover for my 23LSV was made by Cory at Evolution.  He never saw the boat and sent me a new cover that fit perfectly.  Granted I have the stock tower but i'm sure he could work around a custom one with measurements and photos.  His lead time is probably several weeks right now, so might be a non-starter for this season.