Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Response Steering Problems

Studstill118

I am new to the Crew.  I Have a 1997 Malibu Response with steering issues.  Had a new steering cable installed at a dealership.  They also greased the rutter.  The steering is still notchy.  What should I do?  Thanks for the help!!

is the cable snug at the rudder?  if so:

disconnect the cable from the rudder then check to see if the rudder swings smoothly.

while cable is disconnected spin steering wheel and see if it moves smoothly.  you may have a friend add some drag at the loose / rudder end while turning the wheel.

@Studstill118:  If your steering is notchy at speed, I found that the rudder bushings are a contributor to that.  You might need to replace them, an alternate fix can be to put a washer / spacer between the tiller arm and the rudder box to improve rudder smoothness.  Grab the rudder and check sloppiness to determine if that is an issue.  Don't over-grease the box, but make sure it does have good marine type grease.  

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, Rednucleus said:

Can you feel it sitting still/on the trailer or only at speed?

It feels notchy on the trailer, but it is worse in the water. 

It should feel like nothing is there on the trailer, so it's either the cable or the rudder, or up behind the steering wheel.  It's not complicated.

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

It could be the gear behind the steering wheel.  It's a rack and pinion setup, when you replace the cable, you only replace the rack, not the pinion.

I believe its the worm drive set up.  Not rack and pinion.  I didn't change the cable, had a dealer do it because I was to busy to mess with it.  Wasn't happy with the work or the price.