Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter hesitating above 3000rpm

Seen this thread before but can't seem to find it...engine runs fine up to 30 mph but advancing throttle beyond and the motor begins to hesitate/stutter. Any walk-throughs on filter replacement or fuel pump cleaning(?) would be appreciated. 

fuel injected or carb?

will rpm actually run beyond 3k rpm while it's hesitating/stuttering or is it limited to 3k.

if limited rpm search for limp mode else i think i'd start w a fuel pressure gauge, especially if fuel injected.

11 hours ago, Cambo5000 said:

Seen this thread before but can't seem to find it...engine runs fine up to 30 mph but advancing throttle beyond and the motor begins to hesitate/stutter. Any walk-throughs on filter replacement or fuel pump cleaning(?) would be appreciated. 

5 hours ago, electricjohn said:

If it's a monsoon engine, it may be from the fuel hammer problems era.

that was fixed by '01.  It's likely either a low fuel flow issue which can be from kinked vent line, plugged filter, plugged injectors, weak or dying fuel pump, or low voltage (amongst others), or it's an ignition issue.

On 3/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, RudyMuller said:

Drain tank and try non ethanol fuel. 

This would primarily be directed at correct vapor lock, although it may address a condition.  

Op, have you had issues with vapor lock before?  

I'd lean towards what @UWSkier pointed to.  I'd start with fuel - the cheapest fixes first: fuel filter and vent lines and work up from there.  

Injectors can be pretty cheap to diagnose too, but would be my second look as its more work.  Then the pump - in my experience a pump just fails though and doesn't drop like this.  

I'd lean towards fuel flow issue like a filter.

Edited by Pra4sno

When troubleshooting issues like this, you first need to tell us what motor you have, as there are many options in your year.

Also, before any troubleshooting, ensure ALL maintenance is up-to-date.  Both fuel filters, plugs, wires - if an old distributor setup, cap/rotor - and air filter.  Do that first and then troubleshoot from there, because at least the basics are covered.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I replaced both fuel filters. 15 minute job. Didn’t see anything unusual when I tapped them out, just clean looking gas...so I figured that couldn’t be it. Took it out on the lake and it ran like a champ! 

Great work!  I was thinking fuel filter as well.  

Where is your 2nd filter located?.  I have 1 in the truck area but I wonder if I might have another hiding somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Cambo5000 said:

UPDATE: I replaced both fuel filters. 15 minute job. Didn’t see anything unusual when I tapped them out, just clean looking gas...so I figured that couldn’t be it. Took it out on the lake and it ran like a champ! 

I replaced my inline at the end of last year due to similar issues you had, but I was not able to replace the larger filter by the pump. Couldn't find my sharader valve to remove the pressure so it wouldn't spray everywhere. Do you have any pictures or advice here on where you bleed the system?

Some of them only have the in line filter. Mine has just the one. Spent a lot of time when I first got it trying to figure out where that dang high pressure filter was:Frustrated:

1 hour ago, jrvs23 said:

Some of them only have the in line filter. Mine has just the one. Spent a lot of time when I first got it trying to figure out where that dang high pressure filter was:Frustrated:

Yep. Indmar dropped the second filter, near the fuel pump, mid-year in '01.  

17 hours ago, SkiPablo said:

Great work!  I was thinking fuel filter as well.  

Where is your 2nd filter located?.  I have 1 in the truck area but I wonder if I might have another hiding somewhere. 

Both real easy to see in my engine. One filter right next to the pump (positioned vertically with steal inlet and outlet lines) second in-line filter down and to the left of the first one as you face the back of the boat (v-drive). Rubber inlet and outlet on this one. Fuel system won’t be pressurized when shut off (there will be some fuel spilled during the process so lay down some rags. 

16 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

I replaced my inline at the end of last year due to similar issues you had, but I was not able to replace the larger filter by the pump. Couldn't find my sharader valve to remove the pressure so it wouldn't spray everywhere. Do you have any pictures or advice here on where you bleed the system?

No pressure when turned off (did spill a bit from the filters themselves though). 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:11 PM, Nitrousbird said:

When troubleshooting issues like this, you first need to tell us what motor you have, as there are many options in your year.

Also, before any troubleshooting, ensure ALL maintenance is up-to-date.  Both fuel filters, plugs, wires - if an old distributor setup, cap/rotor - and air filter.  Do that first and then troubleshoot from there, because at least the basics are covered.

Late to the party I see, but couldn't agree more with this suggestion. I had the same issue last summer. Periodically it seemed like my engine was missing around this RPM. It made me anxious because I'm no mechanic but I replaced the spark plug wires, spark plugs, and fuel filters. Runs like a dream again.