Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I really need to replace my Vdrive???

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, boardjnky4 said:

A transmission shop can probably handle rebuilding it. The problem is finding the parts. I had a ZF Trans in my boat go bad (Previous Owner probably abused the s*** out of it). Shop would have fixed it for less than $400 in labor (I had to remove it from the boat, though). After a few weeks with gearbox, they exhausted multiple suppliers and ZF, but couldn't get the parts. So I bought a new V-Drive and Trans online for around $1,200. Indmar wanted $4,000 for the unit, I found it for $1,200. That is the ZF Trans and ZF V-Drive combo unit, commonly referred to as a SkiVee.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that Walter V-Drives are pre-2006 and that you have the ZF Ski Vee combo mentioned above.

Also, Oops, I was off by a bit. It's $2200 + 175 shipping. They freight shipped it in a reasonable time and the boat has been running smooth as butter ever-since.  https://www.perfprotech.com/transmission-zf45iv-zf45iv/product/246066

And actually, if it's really just the V-Drive portion that's bad on your boat, I can sell you my old one. As far as I know, the V-Drive was fine, the trans/gearbox is what went bad. I really need to get it out of my garage.

Check your PM !

On 3/2/2018 at 8:40 PM, SteveB said:

My Question: do we really have to replace the whole thing?!? Has anyone heard of rebuilding it and fixing the bearing? The dealership said he could not find anyone that fixes them and that I would have to pay about $4,000 for a new Vdrive. Any thoughts?

You should be able to order a transmission directly from a ZF supplier. I used https://www.perfprotech.com/ and was able to get the transmission for like half of what Indmar was asking for it. The only downside was that it didn't come with a 1 year warranty but that was not worth the extra money in my eye.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, SteveB said:

I realized I never updated my own post...yes from July 2018. 2007's have ZF Marine Vdrives and apparently no one rebuilds them. TO this day, I am not sure if I needed a new vdrive. Fortunately, I did not pay the ridiculous $4k+ price the service department wanted. I found a new one from a place up in Seattle for less than $2k including the shipping to get it to MN. Yes, they also changed the drive plate. I really still think that was the issue. But, it is fixed and the issue is gone. I wish that fix on no one but do want to make sure no one pays the overpriced unit from Indmar that the dealers use. There was another boat that was getting the same repair a week before me and I felt bad for that owner...he paid $4800 and I got out of it under $2800 all in with the new drive plate and a few other fixes. ugh

On 4/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, SteveB said:

I realized I never updated my own post...yes from July 2018. 2007's have ZF Marine Vdrives and apparently no one rebuilds them. TO this day, I am not sure if I needed a new vdrive. Fortunately, I did not pay the ridiculous $4k+ price the service department wanted. I found a new one from a place up in Seattle for less than $2k including the shipping to get it to MN. Yes, they also changed the drive plate. I really still think that was the issue. But, it is fixed and the issue is gone. I wish that fix on no one but do want to make sure no one pays the overpriced unit from Indmar that the dealers use. There was another boat that was getting the same repair a week before me and I felt bad for that owner...he paid $4800 and I got out of it under $2800 all in with the new drive plate and a few other fixes. ugh

Hey Steve, I’m in MN as well and am having an issue with what I believe is bearings in the v drive of my 2015 indmar. Who did you have do the replacement once you got the part?

• 1 month later...

I just spent $7,200 at the dealership for a new upgraded transmission, V drive, and drive plate. They said that the transmission was shot, and has to be upgraded to newer style trans and vdrive to work. Said that you cannot rebuild the old ZF transmission. Pretty bummed about this cost honestly. 2012 247 LSV

• Sad 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi 

Looking at buying a 340da sea ray with 8.1 v8 on v drives mercruiser  

My question  is 

We are in uk fuel prices very high we don't run big gas engines here I want to remove them got 325 hours on them 

And fit my Hammerhead  300 hp diesels in place they are basically  a chevy 6.5L build with 18: 1 pistons supercharged  motors with 454 bolt pattern  looking for info to connect the two units 

My engines are designed as a drop in replacement for 454 but they make a lot off low down torque 501 ftlbs @ 1.700 rpm 

I don't know much about mercruiser  v drives can I remove motors and bolt mine on ? How does the drive work direct to v drive or gearboxe  first then to drive 

Looked at it yesterday  theres a gearbox fastened  to bell housing to motor going to v drive what drives off flywheel to box ? 

7 hours ago, Towbarman said:

Hi 

Looking at buying a 340da sea ray with 8.1 v8 on v drives mercruiser  

My question  is 

We are in uk fuel prices very high we don't run big gas engines here I want to remove them got 325 hours on them 

And fit my Hammerhead  300 hp diesels in place they are basically  a chevy 6.5L build with 18: 1 pistons supercharged  motors with 454 bolt pattern  looking for info to connect the two units 

My engines are designed as a drop in replacement for 454 but they make a lot off low down torque 501 ftlbs @ 1.700 rpm 

I don't know much about mercruiser  v drives can I remove motors and bolt mine on ? How does the drive work direct to v drive or gearboxe  first then to drive 

Looked at it yesterday  theres a gearbox fastened  to bell housing to motor going to v drive what drives off flywheel to box ? 

The bell housing should hide a damper plate that replaces the clutch/torque converter in an automotive setup.  If the transmission will bolt up to your bell housing and the damper plate will fit your shaft, you should be good to go.  That said, you will probably need to do some math and find a new gear ratio for your transmission so that you can get reasonable performance out of your new setup.  The trick is going to be how you can get the prop spinning fast enough that you can use a similar size.  Otherwise the diesels will want a prop so big it won't fit under your boat.

For example, if 3,600 RPM is the RPM limit on the diesels, you ultimately would like your prop to spin at the same speed it would with a 5,000 RPM gasser (roughly a 1:1.4 step up).  Multiply that by your existing transmission ratio and start hunting for parts that fit.

If it were me, I'd probably pass on this boat unless it was a stupid good deal and get one that has what you want in it.