Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I really need to replace my Vdrive???

I have a 2007 Wakesetter LSV and the Vdrive started making a light rattling sound at the end of summer 2016. The Malibu service department told me it was a bad bearing in my Vdrive, and the only way to fix this is to completely replace it. I risked it for 2017 and made it through the season, it is only a little bit louder. 

My Question: do we really have to replace the whole thing?!? Has anyone heard of rebuilding it and fixing the bearing? The dealership said he could not find anyone that fixes them and that I would have to pay about $4,000 for a new Vdrive. Any thoughts?

I would call the manufacturer to see what they say. ‘07 I am guessing a Walter V drive and they can tell you for sure. There is a thread on here that has their contact info iirc. 

Thank you, right after putting up this post, I thought about reaching out to the Vdrive company. I have an email to Walter VDrives to see what they say. I will call Monday when they open. I was curious if anyone else had this issue in the past. I sure hope not. You pamper the boat and do all you can...and then a bad bearing has to come up and ruin the day! I will update as I find out more. Thanks for any input. 

Edited by SteveB

A v-drive is along the lines of a 4WD transfer case. Mostly hard parts, a few bearings, some gaskets and seals. Way less complicated then 4 or 5 speed manual, and they not bad to fix. 

You almost only hear of replacement on components like this when the labor costs outweigh the replacement...OR:

1. It's a job they don't like.

2.  They have a warranty period on their work AND they dont have someone experienced in completing this job with a high success rate.

Edited by Pra4sno
  • Like 2

A transmission shop can probably handle rebuilding it. The problem is finding the parts. I had a ZF Trans in my boat go bad (Previous Owner probably abused the s*** out of it). Shop would have fixed it for less than $400 in labor (I had to remove it from the boat, though). After a few weeks with gearbox, they exhausted multiple suppliers and ZF, but couldn't get the parts. So I bought a new V-Drive and Trans online for around $1,200. Indmar wanted $4,000 for the unit, I found it for $1,200. That is the ZF Trans and ZF V-Drive combo unit, commonly referred to as a SkiVee.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that Walter V-Drives are pre-2006 and that you have the ZF Ski Vee combo mentioned above.

Also, Oops, I was off by a bit. It's $2200 + 175 shipping. They freight shipped it in a reasonable time and the boat has been running smooth as butter ever-since.  https://www.perfprotech.com/transmission-zf45iv-zf45iv/product/246066

And actually, if it's really just the V-Drive portion that's bad on your boat, I can sell you my old one. As far as I know, the V-Drive was fine, the trans/gearbox is what went bad. I really need to get it out of my garage.

Edited by boardjnky4

Yep, based on the fluid replacement dictated by your stickers on  vdrive and tranny, your manual tells you which one you have by those fluids required

Jammer, my 15 23lsv with 350 has the Indmar 1.5:1 model 082020es vee drive. There is a tag on it that shows model and serial number. 

If you have the GM-based Indmar, then it's probably the same one that I posted above, the ZF SkiVee 45iv. They used that setup for a while. The Raptor engine is a different Gearbox and V-Drive.

Edited by boardjnky4
On 3/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, wdr said:

Not to sound like a smart a.., but the owners manual should have that info. 

The Indmar Manual states:

"Indmar engines are equipped with one of these marine transmissions: • ZF Hurth Marine In-Line • ZF Hurth Ski-Vee • Walters V-Drive and ZF Hurth In-Line • Indmar-Vee"

It's NOT entirely clear which one my GM=based LSA engine is equipped with -- thus the question.  Thanks for the more helpful response, @boardjnky4

3 hours ago, jammer said:

The Indmar Manual states:

"Indmar engines are equipped with one of these marine transmissions: • ZF Hurth Marine In-Line • ZF Hurth Ski-Vee • Walters V-Drive and ZF Hurth In-Line • Indmar-Vee"

It's NOT entirely clear which one my GM=based LSA engine is equipped with -- thus the question.  Thanks for the more helpful response, @boardjnky4

Won’t the stickers on the units for the fluid make the analysis from how each tranny  snd vdrive in manual says what fluids go in it!!

thats how I determined which one I have, from the double ATF stickers which only matched one combo in manual 

then you get to discover that the listed volumes capacity are too much compared to what brings it to full line.  I guess based on what you can’t suck out you can’t put all back in, but I believe I got all out snd volumes were 1/3-1/2 qt too much on both.  I always need to add or suck out

Edited by granddaddy55

@Steve B.:  I would think a good bearing house or since a ZF, perhaps a European Crew member might be able to help source one if not available domestically at a quality bearing supplier.  As noted, a V drive is a relatively simple device.  You are also in an area of several off road truck racers that would have V drive expertise and may be able to help.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Still wondering after a year and a half? 

I think Steve B meant to reply to my thread maybe, since I attached it to my thread?

• 10 months later...

I realized I never updated my own post...yes from July 2018. 2007's have ZF Marine Vdrives and apparently no one rebuilds them. TO this day, I am not sure if I needed a new vdrive. Fortunately, I did not pay the ridiculous $4k+ price the service department wanted. I found a new one from a place up in Seattle for less than $2k including the shipping to get it to MN. Yes, they also changed the drive plate. I really still think that was the issue. But, it is fixed and the issue is gone. I wish that fix on no one but do want to make sure no one pays the overpriced unit from Indmar that the dealers use. There was another boat that was getting the same repair a week before me and I felt bad for that owner...he paid $4800 and I got out of it under $2800 all in with the new drive plate and a few other fixes. ugh

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

@ozzysoil  I used Harbor Marine Maintenance & Supply  425-259-3285

I bought the ZF 45IV. It was $2485  and then $139 to ship it. I think they had it shipped directly from their vendor in Florida. it went right to my shop in Minnesota. 

Great group of guys, very helpful. Sorry you have to deal with this one. I assume people told you you to check the drive plate. As I mentioned above, I am still convinced that was the issue. Good luck. 

• 10 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 1:01 PM, boardjnky4 said:

A transmission shop can probably handle rebuilding it. The problem is finding the parts. I had a ZF Trans in my boat go bad (Previous Owner probably abused the s*** out of it). Shop would have fixed it for less than $400 in labor (I had to remove it from the boat, though). After a few weeks with gearbox, they exhausted multiple suppliers and ZF, but couldn't get the parts. So I bought a new V-Drive and Trans online for around $1,200. Indmar wanted $4,000 for the unit, I found it for $1,200. That is the ZF Trans and ZF V-Drive combo unit, commonly referred to as a SkiVee.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that Walter V-Drives are pre-2006 and that you have the ZF Ski Vee combo mentioned above.

Also, Oops, I was off by a bit. It's $2200 + 175 shipping. They freight shipped it in a reasonable time and the boat has been running smooth as butter ever-since.  https://www.perfprotech.com/transmission-zf45iv-zf45iv/product/246066

And actually, if it's really just the V-Drive portion that's bad on your boat, I can sell you my old one. As far as I know, the V-Drive was fine, the trans/gearbox is what went bad. I really need to get it out of my garage.

Do you still have this spare used V-drive?