Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Season is On!

granddaddy55

36 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Just avoid riding snowmobile single track up steep hills on those things. It ain't pretty either way. I'm all for shared trails but its amazes me where I see those fat bikes going these days.

Bikes on bike trails, snowmobiles on snowmobile trails. 

32 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

@jk13 - what part of Cent WI are you from?  I'm west of Milwaukee, have family in Chippewa & Rice Lake.  Sadly these mean southerners teasing us is hard to tolerate, but I have to live vicariously through them for a while yet!

Dead center in Wausau. Lived around MKE for 13 years, met my wife and had our kids there. Boat in the north, Minocqua and Eagle River usually. Local lake is okay occasionally but dangerously shallow and nasty tannin brown.

@jk13 Totally agree if indicated, where I live you could see Fat bikers, XC skiers, Snow Shoers, Backcountry Skiers/Snowboarder on the same forest service road and if we fight about it then it does nothing for the motorized access cause. Our trails are being shut down every year and a shared trail is better than no trail to the steep and deep. Braaaaaaaaaaap is where its at.

Edited by alpensurf23
2 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

Preeshhhh @Kblagg Way to help my -6 degree, cabin fever, postboatseasonpartum depression....:rofl: I know its not a word and almost a run on sentence. I may still use it for a triple word score (scrabble) until the snow melts. Beautiful wave, weather and boat brother. New board to break in also??? My lady just broke out my straight jacket and will be revoking my computer privileges... :cheers: Enjoy! 

HAHA....I was going to meet up with a friend on the lake today so I took my new board with me but we weren't able to sync up so it just sat there looking all pretty.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jk13 said:

Bikes on bike trails, snowmobiles on snowmobile trails. 

Dead center in Wausau. Lived around MKE for 13 years, met my wife and had our kids there. Boat in the north, Minocqua and Eagle River usually. Local lake is okay occasionally but dangerously shallow and nasty tannin brown.

Anything up there you'd recommend for a boating vacation?  We are talking about a boat-cation at one of those up north lakes somewhere new.  Drive through wausau a few times a year 

25 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

Anything up there you'd recommend for a boating vacation?  We are talking about a boat-cation at one of those up north lakes somewhere new.  Drive through wausau a few times a year 

I'm lucky enough that my parents live up there, so I don't have much info on places to stay. As far as lakes I really like the chains, Minocqua is larger lakes with lots of areas to find some space to ride, but rougher water to travel through to find them. Eagle River is smaller lakes, more channels, great for exploring but fewer areas for riding unless you're out early or late. Both can get blown out or too busy to ride at all. Both have plenty of places to stay.

Otherwise look for a place on a medium sized lake with a narrow profile. Crescent lake near Rhinelander is a good one on windy days. My brother is on Nokomis in Tomahawk and there is usually an area with enough shelter to ride somewhere, but you may have to ride around some to find it. My parents are on a small lake in Hazlehurst, there is almost always a calm shoreline but it's shallow for surfing and the public ramp is dirt. I have to back my Tahoe in to the rear doors to get my Echelon off the trailer. 

On 2/22/2018 at 5:36 PM, MustGoFast said:

@jk13 - what part of Cent WI are you from?  I'm west of Milwaukee, have family in Chippewa & Rice Lake.  Sadly these mean southerners teasing us is hard to tolerate, but I have to live vicariously through them for a while yet!

So here is your latest installment !!!!

Saturday , 82 air boat said 85, 73-76 degree water boat said 76+, extremely windy, no real rough water just wind in face, strong enough to affect my boat without torque prop to not come to set speed on cruise for surfing against wind . Just really meant we didn’t sweat , used bimini and my new cargo net surf pocket setup I’ve been wanting to try and we needed the shade from a sun damage aspect, it wasn’t hot but I wanted to use my new cargo net

at least 5 or 8 more episodes coming before you get your shot, I’ll keep you posted!!  Ha ha

took a snooty g owner between boats for some riding as well, he liked the load I could get up with my 1235, I think they’ll be overly impressed with a torque prop snd my 3800 lbs of water, fuel, lead plus wedge. 

Edited by granddaddy55
34 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

So here is your latest installment !!!!

Saturday , 82 air boat said 85, 73-76 degree water boat said 76+, extremely windy, no real rough water just wind in face, strong enough to affect my boat without torque prop to not come to set speed on cruise for surfing against wind . Just really meant we didn’t sweat , used bimini and my new cargo net surf pocket setup I’ve been wanting to try and we needed the shade from a sun damage aspect, it wasn’t hot but I wanted to use my new cargo net

at least 5 or 8 more episodes coming before you get your shot, I’ll keep you posted!!  Ha ha

took a snooty g owner between boats for some riding as well, he liked the load I could get up with my 1235, I think they’ll be overly impressed with a torque prop snd my 3800 lbs of water, fuel, lead plus wedge. 

Play nice @granddaddy55 , You know what payback is, or scarier Karma being from the Big Easy. Don't make me pull out my voodoo doll.. Just kidding have fun and rub it in. Feel free to keep making the G owner feel bad. He did spend more money for less wake than your better Axis. ;)

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 1

I just hope you guys come to Norris, just messaged @Infinitysurf, he’s got a 24 ft boat just redone , ,no crew, and space in his cabin , and s fever to surf , my boat can ski or foot ok with pylon, let’s do this , I know it’s mid season for you guys then, but this promises to be a lot of fun and the small altitude should help with heat and cooler water temps down south

In other words catch s flight and an Uber and we’ll take care of the rest, no effort and all fun for y’all 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

Last season 150 hours heading out at 1:45-2:30 at earliest 1ir both days if weekend, closed a business and hoping for more this year (two people can only log so many, with crew it would be 250).  You guys need to come down for Jazz Fest(it ain’t just jazz and very big acts ) , in our April weather from a Thursday -Saturday one weekend and Fri thru Saturday the next weekend for some awesome music and surfing and riding, fairgrounds where fest is or downtown 40 minutes -50 minutes to ride spot in rush hour traffic , 25 or less in no traffic , an expensive uber ride at worst , or well come get you cause we live in the nearby burbs on the way to spot if folks want to do the tourist thing as well as get wet

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

@granddaddy55 Big Easy Ballast Bonanza the more Gumbo you eat, the more Jumbo da Wake. If a crew member has never ridden/surfed down south this is a great offer. Grew up waterskiing in the bayou country. The food alone is worth the trip. 

• Like 2

Just got home from a snowmobile trip in Michigan U.P.  Our lake is open to the north. Not so much from warm temps but heavy rain and just over freezing days. The ice was busted up not melting as usual. A lot of damage from the ice. Big slabs of ice taking out any lifts and docks close to the water edge. I have never seen our lake brake up like this before. Massive amounts of logs and junk in the ice flow.  Still open water! 

30 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Just got home from a snowmobile trip in Michigan U.P.  Our lake is open to the north. Not so much from warm temps but heavy rain and just over freezing days. The ice was busted up not melting as usual. A lot of damage from the ice. Big slabs of ice taking out any lifts and docks close to the water edge. I have never seen our lake brake up like this before. Massive amounts of logs and junk in the ice flow.  Still open water! 

@Sixball Unfortunately that is our reality as well on our water being filled by mountain run off. Last year even with record snowpack some people just didn't get it. 

IMG_7792.jpg

Edited by alpensurf23
3 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

@Sixball Unfortunately that is our reality as well on our water being filled by mountain run off. Last year even with record snowpack some people just didn't get it. 

IMG_7792.jpg

Crazy to run a boat in that, holy crap!! How could you not bang up gelcoat and/or screw up your prop hitting sticks?

Really looking forward to the Lake Norris, TN trip in June. Like @granddaddy55 said....I will be there the 13th-16th (leave Sunday morning), already booked a cabin and slip at Hickory Star Marina (they have a small restaurant on the marina with decent food and fuel, last I heard there was only 1 more boat slip available. Going solo with my boat and rented 1 of the 1 bedroom cabin....

Edited by Infinitysurf
  • Like 2

@Infinitysurf This guy was warned and elected to leave his boat in overnight while camping. As he was cooking breakfast the following morning his wife went to check on the boat.....This was what she found..... 

• Like 2

You guys up North in Midwest may get the last laugh as the cold and higher and muddy  Mississippi River water started to invade our Spillway from your early melt and recent rains , water dipped to 69’ from 76 last weekend .  We may lose our spot fir a few weeks or month if they are forced to open Spillway to protect New Orleans river levees. 

Ha ha, we still will have spots but nothing that’s Lake pontchartrain warm like it had been at Spillway 

Still a great day yesterday with air 76 and super Sunny

https://www.facebook.com/david.posey.756/posts/732556566936804

Edited by granddaddy55

So our lake has been put on a temporary delay. Mother nature has dealt us at least a week of cold weather. Days just getting over freezing if at all. Open water and a debris field was about a half mile north. :(

1st set of the year yesterday - air 45, water 39 degrees, couldn't be better! Amazing what 4 months off does to deleting all the 2017 progress! Crashed at 2 ball 1st pass, 4 ball at 2nd one. Still waiting today for the soreness to kick in!  Hoping to be out again Sat or Sun - supposed to be pushing 50 degrees!!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

1st set of the year yesterday - air 45, water 39 degrees, couldn't be better! Amazing what 4 months off does to deleting all the 2017 progress! Crashed at 2 ball 1st pass, 4 ball at 2nd one. Still waiting today for the soreness to kick in!  Hoping to be out again Sat or Sun - supposed to be pushing 50 degrees!!

If you're going to tell us how many balls than ya gotta tell us how long and how fast. :thumbup:

Cold water prevents soreness too!

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

If you're going to tell us how many balls than ya gotta tell us how long and how fast. :thumbup:

Cold water prevents soreness too!

Oops sorry, poor etiquette on my part.  30 @ 15 off (pb is 32 @ 15 off ) - and did not make a full pass yesterday :(  But - wait till next week :) 

Put another really quick 100 miles on my snowmobile Saturday morning. Rode with my brother who does MX hare scrambles and cross country races. Little faster ride than with my mom and dad... Trails were mostly awesome as everyone seems to have put 'em away. Of course near roads and bars they are bare/junk but once in the woods they are borderline epic.

One more cold week = one more ride on the weekend maybe. Next week mid 40s and rain so we can shift gears and start rotating toys.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

You guys up North in Midwest may get the last laugh as the cold and higher and muddy  Mississippi River water started to invade our Spillway from your early melt and recent rains , water dipped to 69’ from 76 last weekend .  We may lose our spot fir a few weeks or month if they are forced to open Spillway to protect New Orleans river levees. 

Ha ha, we still will have spots but nothing that’s Lake pontchartrain warm like it had been at Spillway 

Still a great day yesterday with air 76 and super Sunny

https://www.facebook.com/david.posey.756/posts/732556566936804

I'd expect some more water from up north.  The last 4-8" has been melting fast with another 4-8" of snow expected tonight.

Yeah and we're supposed to pick up 4-6" tonight - just started snowing a few minutes ago.... that will likely melt again within a week looking at the extended outlook.

21 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Look at it on the good side 50% improvement each pass!  I can see short line @ 36 at this pace before July. :whistle: