Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a boat tonight! 2010 23LSV

Ryan1776

7 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Do people actually like that system over the gates style? Or NSS? 
Seems to me that type of tab will just list the boat over. No thanks. 

I have a buddy that had surf tabs installed on his 09 centurion. Still can't stop from leaking and not better by any means over my LSV's wake.

7 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

@kerpluxal

I didn't explain this properly, I meant that the lines that allow the bag and the hard tank to communicate. Are those 1 1/8" as well? Or 3/4"

forgot this one... so... the hose from the y to the bag is 1 1/8... the hose from the vent of the hard tank to the bag is .75... My 1100 sacs had only one drain port and at the time of install with the wakemakers piggy back system (takes forever to fill as they fill bag first and air lock the hard tank and need to wait for it to burp to add again... ugh lol) I added a second port with a thru hull and stuck with .75 outlet at this time.

11 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

forgot this one... so... the hose from the y to the bag is 1 1/8... the hose from the vent of the hard tank to the bag is .75... My 1100 sacs had only one drain port and at the time of install with the wakemakers piggy back system (takes forever to fill as they fill bag first and air lock the hard tank and need to wait for it to burp to add again... ugh lol) I added a second port with a thru hull and stuck with .75 outlet at this time.

Alright cool. So everything besides pump to tanks/sac are still 3/4"  

13 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Alright cool. So everything besides pump to tanks/sac are still 3/4"  

at this current time... yes... lol... BOAT... Bust Out Another Thousand.... Boat - a  hole in the water that you throw money at... 

There are always upgrades lol

10 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

at this current time... yes... lol... BOAT... Bust Out Another Thousand.... Boat - a  hole in the water that you throw money at... 

There are always upgrades lol

Truer words were never spoken. 

Thank you for the help. Is the line kit from wakemakers worth it or just get hose from Ace hardware and the bags from WM? Seem the WM line sets have nice fittings and what not.

Get the hose and fittings from Wakemakers. Their prices are pretty good and it's a one stop.  Doubt you would find things like bag fittings or check valves on ACE.  You can just order bulk parts - or get their kits.

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

Truer words were never spoken. 

Thank you for the help. Is the line kit from wakemakers worth it or just get hose from Ace hardware and the bags from WM? Seem the WM line sets have nice fittings and what not.

get the hose from wakemakers... it is bilge hose and will last longer than the hose from Ace. I just used the standard black hose.. they have other hoses available at extra$... 

I did not order the kit as I changed how it was plumbed.. I don't know if WM piggyback kit has been updated to the diagram you drew out so elegantly with your key board (way more skills than I would of had ;) )

Hey sorry im late to the party..getting ready for spring I got back on the forum.

I bought my 2010 23 LSV last year and here is the spec sheet on it.

l4OEP

TpcRsS6.jpg

https://stateamind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/WindowSticker_132352-1.pdf

That dealership sold it new and I bought it from the original owner. I paid 51k for it in July of 2017. Here is a link to the album.

https://imgur.com/a/MXXrk

I will say this. The boat you are looking at would be great if you got for 50k out the door. Taxes add up on a big purchase like this. Couple of things to keep in mind however. The stock wakeboard wake sucks. It just does. I had a SAN 210 before this boat and the wake was amazing with 2200 lbs. This wake with the stock+wedge is garbage. I am gonna do a reversible pump install this spring and add 750s to the lockers and a 1000 bow sack to make the wakeboard wake rockin.

The surf wake is awesome stock. I have a homemade devise and its great. The wedge allows you to have as much push as you want. Let me know if you have any other specific questions on the boat.

Edited by Brichter14
Fix images
54 minutes ago, Brichter14 said:

I will say this. The boat you are looking at would be great if you got for 50k out the door. Taxes add up on a big purchase like this. Couple of things to keep in mind however. The stock wakeboard wake sucks. It just does. I had a SAN 210 before this boat and the wake was amazing with 2200 lbs. This wake with the stock+wedge is garbage. I am gonna do a reversible pump install this spring and add 750s to the lockers and a 1000 bow sack to make the wakeboard wake rockin.

The surf wake is awesome stock. I have a homemade devise and its great. The wedge allows you to have as much push as you want. Let me know if you have any other specific questions on the boat.

Hey man thanks! That's exactly what I'm working on!
Thank you for the link! Nice boat indeed. But wow, a bunch of a$$ holes in the comments section?! 

I know you said the wakeboard wake sucks, but compared to what? Another wake boat! lol. I've been behind a DD supra closed bow my whole life. So this should be pretty impressive. 
I am planning the piggy back kit as soon as the ink is put to paper. 
Can you integrate a 1000 in the bow? Or is that on the seats? 

Thanks for the window sticker. Definitely more optioned than this boat. How is the "silent ride muffler" system? 

The wakeboard wake is super mellow and im used to a wall from the SAN. But im getting older so it aint no big deal. 

I would suggest against the piggy back kit. The stock ballast pumps are pretty slow and the gravity drain wont work very well, it never does. Theres a few informative ballast posts that can help you out but its gonna be 2000 for a good system. 

The 1000 lb triangle bag will sit on the seats when we wakeboard and I will plug it in each time we use it. 

On 3/9/2018 at 7:22 PM, Brichter14 said:

The wakeboard wake is super mellow and im used to a wall from the SAN. But im getting older so it aint no big deal.

What year 210? The 05-06 years were like that. VERY "rampy". Not to mention you're comparing a 210 with 3000lbs of ballast (sacs plus factory) to a 23 with 1300lbs which because of the size alone will require more weight to displace the water.  Like I said, it's all relative.  

I would suggest against the piggy back kit. The stock ballast pumps are pretty slow and the gravity drain wont work very well, it never does

Take a look back a few post and on the previous page. kerpluxal upgraded to a 2012+ year system by upgrading the pumps to 1100gph and 1 1/8" lines. With 910lb a side bags, integrated for under 900$ I just spec-ed it all out from wakemakers.
He says his system fills both hard and fat sac in the time it takes to fill the belly 500. Sounds like a plan to me. 

The 1000 lb triangle bag will sit on the seats when we wakeboard and I will plug it in each time we use it. 

Got it. I figured so. Just didn't know if you took out the hard tank and made that fit in there. 
Frankly, I have absolutely ZERO desire to have any non plumbed bags anywhere in the "living" quarters of the boat. I'm tired of it. I had bags everywhere in my Supra and it's a royal PITA.

And again, it's all relative. This 23lsv is going to be a night and day. 

Just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who added their input and knowledge. 

It's official. I'm a Malibu owner!  
I didn't get the exact 50 out the door, but they came down about 2k and I asked for some concessions so a couple 550lb fat sacs (which I'll sell to buy the wakemakers 910) the Nauticurl surf gadget and a year warranty. Which I was told by the first salesmen that it was as is no warranty expressed or implied. 
I don't know what the warranty is worth, but if something happens in the first season, it was worth every effort on my end. 

I have to say I'm pretty happy and cannot wait to hitch it up and bring it home. Then I'll have to wait for the waters to warm! 
I've only ever ridden behind a "real" wake boat during polar bear skis and on a few lessons from Chris Laske (local guy who I believe was is/was Dowdys' coach).  So this will be an amazing experience. 

One last question on this thread and I'll let it die, tips, tricks, and input on the water test? What are some things besides the obvious I need to look for. 
What are some tests I should do on the boat. I've never been a run at WOT type guy, unless of course it's a Donzi 2+3 Classic :notworthy: But I'm sure that should be one of the tests. 
Time to plane unloaded and loaded? All lights and accessories. Wedge functionality. Depth finder water temp all that little stuff. 
Thanks again to everyone! Looks like I'll be around here for some time to come! 

Ryan 

Congrats Ryan!  So now the water test...

WOT is probably not necessary, but run it under load.  Fill up the ballasts and see how it performs.  Run it with the rear seat open so you can listen for any unusual noises.  Check the shaft packing for the drip rate, and the bilge in general before and after you take it out.  Run every electronic there is (wedge, lights, pumps), during the test and just on aux power.  

31 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Congrats Ryan!  So now the water test...

Thank man! Pretty stoked! 

32 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Run it with the rear seat open so you can listen for any unusual noises.

EXCELLENT tip. 

32 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Check the shaft packing for the drip rate,

Are these NOT dripless at this vintage? When did that start? 
Rate should be what, 2-3 per min? I don't remember.

35 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Run every electronic there is (wedge, lights, pumps), during the test and just on aux power.  

Gotchya, engine off. Key on? 

You may have a dripless if it was optioned that way, or if the previous owner added it.  But my 2011 did not have it.  It may not be leaky, but my packing was failing and had to replaced.  

Yeah key on, engine off will give you an idea of how things are working when at rest.  We tend to float around alot listening to music after surfing, so having everything working on battery power is important.  

Excellent on the packing. Good deal. If it's dripless and leaky I'd assume I could get them to take care of that. 

Oh yeah for sure. On my Supra I had two batts, but I had a continuous duty relay that would collapse during key on so it would charge both batts under way, but would disconnect from starting battery when we were floating or on the sandbar. No other way to go. 

Congratulations and welcome to the crew. When you run it, don't freak out that the VD sounds like a couple cats fighting in a bag. That Hurth is noisy and as I recall kind of scary sounding in comparison to the my Walter on my '06. If it is dripless and for the '10s it was an option if so equipped you will see the prop shaft running through a blue rubber boot on the end of a white plastic housing. Water is fed from what would normally be used as the trans cooler drain plug into that housing via clear plastic tube, at least on mine it is. If you run her on a fake a lake you will see water running off the prop shaft. OJ has the fix kits if the shaft seal goes bad. Kind of a PITA to get to, but easy enough job once you break the seal between the output shaft flange and the prop shaft flange. Hit me up if you have any questions, will be glad to talk boats. Bill

Edited by wdr
edit nomenclature
2 hours ago, wdr said:

Congratulations and welcome to the crew

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, wdr said:

When you run it, don't freak out that the VD sounds like a couple cats fighting in a bag.

HAHAHA! Awesome! Ok thanks for the heads up. 

Good info on the packing. 

I'm going to have to print this out so I don't forget! 

• 1 month later...

@kerpluxal

Hey man I'm sorry to bother you again about this. FINALLLLLY getting my boat Monday....as of today. Been a lot of back and forth and fighting with the dealer as they kept missing deadlines on stuff to fix. Anyway. 

So I'm going back over our discussion within the thread a while back about the rear upgrade. 
I'm definitely going to upgrade to the 1 1/8" line and the fill pumps. 
What I'm trying to figure out is what hardware I need. The wakemakers line kit is 150$ a side, and I can't wrap my head around what all that includes. 
It would seem all I need is hose, bag fittings, elbow quick release, vent plugs and the Y fitting into the fill of the hard tank. And that is a far cry from 150 a side! 

As you told me, the single end of the Y goes into the hard tank. One line from pump one line to bottom of bag. 
Then, from VENT of hard tank to the other bottom port on the bag. 
Then, line from top of bag to vent. 
That's pretty much it correct? 

How much 1 1/8 line would you guess? I have 30' in the cart just to be safe. 
I have 

• 30 feet ballast 1 1/8" hose
  • 2- Y fittings (1 for each fill to Hard tank)
  • 2- 1" air release vent plugs (1 for each top of bag)
  • 2 Piranah 1100gph pumps
  • 4 -1 1/8 "bag fittings" 2 for each bag 2 for each hard tank
  • 2 -1 1/8" quick release (1 for each fill on bottom of bag)
  • 2 -3/4" quick release (1 for each "drain of bag to vent of hard tank)
  • 4-3/4" fittings to connect from top of bag to vent, and from bottom of bag to top of hard tank (old vent) 
  • 2- Universal fit 45x25x20 910lb bags. 

What am I missing (I have tons of hose clamps) that's "only" 630. With the line kit and bags and pumps and 2 Y I'm at 830$ So I can't see what else is in that line kit that equals 200 bucks! 

How long you been a pilot? I went to Western Michigan, but September 11th happened my JR year. So I moved on over to engineering! 

Thanks again for your help! 
And I'm interested in that 750 bow bag upgrade once you do that one! 

Ryan 

Edited by Ryan1776
On 5/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ryan1776 said:

@kerpluxal

Hey man I'm sorry to bother you again about this. FINALLLLLY getting my boat Monday....as of today. Been a lot of back and forth and fighting with the dealer as they kept missing deadlines on stuff to fix. Anyway. 

So I'm going back over our discussion within the thread a while back about the rear upgrade. 
I'm definitely going to upgrade to the 1 1/8" line and the fill pumps. 
What I'm trying to figure out is what hardware I need. The wakemakers line kit is 150$ a side, and I can't wrap my head around what all that includes. 
It would seem all I need is hose, bag fittings, elbow quick release, vent plugs and the Y fitting into the fill of the hard tank. And that is a far cry from 150 a side! 

As you told me, the single end of the Y goes into the hard tank. One line from pump one line to bottom of bag. 
Then, from VENT of hard tank to the other bottom port on the bag. 
Then, line from top of bag to vent. 
That's pretty much it correct? 

How much 1 1/8 line would you guess? I have 30' in the cart just to be safe. 
I have 

• 30 feet ballast 1 1/8" hose
  • 2- Y fittings (1 for each fill to Hard tank)
  • 2- 1" air release vent plugs (1 for each top of bag)
  • 2 Piranah 1100gph pumps
  • 4 -1 1/8 "bag fittings" 2 for each bag 2 for each hard tank
  • 2 -1 1/8" quick release (1 for each fill on bottom of bag)
  • 2 -3/4" quick release (1 for each "drain of bag to vent of hard tank)
  • 4-3/4" fittings to connect from top of bag to vent, and from bottom of bag to top of hard tank (old vent) 
  • 2- Universal fit 45x25x20 910lb bags. 

What am I missing (I have tons of hose clamps) that's "only" 630. With the line kit and bags and pumps and 2 Y I'm at 830$ So I can't see what else is in that line kit that equals 200 bucks! 

How long you been a pilot? I went to Western Michigan, but September 11th happened my JR year. So I moved on over to engineering! 

Thanks again for your help! 
And I'm interested in that 750 bow bag upgrade once you do that one! 

Ryan 

30 feet or 30 inches? I can't remember how much I purchased... but it was not 30 ft lol...

Man I need to wrap my head around this...

• 1 1/8 hose from pump to Y then from Y to bag and hard tank
    • elbow at hardtank needs to be updated... it is .75 inlet and needs to be 1 1/8... I got mine from Ace... 1 1/8 barbed to .75 thread
  • Bag fittings:
    • 2 male 1 1/8 per bag
    • 3 male .75 per bag
      • the line that runs from the bottom of the bag to the tank I did not uprage to 1 1/8
      • the vent line is still .75 don't think the effort on this one is worth upgrading to 1 1/8 (fill and drain times would not be affected)
    • Quick releases for all above bag fittings
  • 2 1 1/8 check valves 
    • inline between fill pump and Y (prevent back draining)
  • 2 .75 check valves
    • On the vent lines (I believe this causes the vacum needed to drain bags completely... it was in the wake makers kit so I put it on mine ;) )
  • 2 1100 Pirhana pumps
  • Clamps for all above
    • I used the band clamps
  • Bags of your choice

IM me if you have any questions on install....

I changed my mind and put a 1100 fly high triangle under front seats (removed the seat holder and built a platform to hold the seats and hide the ballast... not quite done with it yet but very close... I can text you pictures but I am not opening another pic holding site to post them here ).  I works awesome... I put a 3" spacer under the platform so the seats are now 3" higher... looking back I think I would have avoided this.. don't need the spacer due to as bag fills, seats rise and are level on the platform... however when I surf... I fill the bag full and the seats are almost level with the top (I will get pics next time lol)

I soloed on 9/11 (the year after)... Due the economy crashing years afterwards... I now work in a IT/ENG/Analysis position... but still saving to buy a plane for personal fun :)