Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you put a price on boating / resale?

AussieSkier

I just sold my 2016 20VTX, after 18months lost $3500 US. Ordered a new 2018 20 VTX for $2000 US more than the last one. Overall spent $5500 US. Is this / would this be considered "good" or "reasonable" boating? There is obviously some out there where $$$ is not an issue, but for the average punter.....

"Reasonable"  is a relative term based on the individual's personal comfort level spending money on their toys. What is reasonable for you may be insane & foolish for you neighbor down the street. Neither of you is right or wrong, it just depends on the individual's circumstances. 

If you spent a total of $5,500 to go from a 2016 to 2018, I would say you did all right. (lol, reasonable to me!!)

If I went to my dealer and I could buy a used 2016 for $5500 less than a new 2018, I would pick the new one every time.  You got a great deal to have only a 2K increase over the last 2 years, or the guy that bought your boat was dumb as a brick.  

You have done well. 

14 hours ago, bamabonners said:

What did you gain by updating?  Was that worth 5500, plus any interest you paid in those 2 years?     Only you can determine that...

At the minimum, I'd think warranty that starts anew. It'd be nice to have a new boat with warranty at all times. That's got a price.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

At the minimum, I'd think warranty that starts anew. It'd be nice to have a new boat with warranty at all times. That's got a price.

Steve B.

There is also a price of having a boat for 2 years and getting all the bugs worked out vs all that time spent working out the bugs on a new boat...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

There is also a price of having a boat for 2 years and getting all the bugs worked out vs all that time spent working out the bugs on a new boat...

You must think these new boats are nothing but bugs (trouble)? I buy every year and my small issues are worked out at the 20 hour service. IF there happens to be any thing else pop up, it's a simple call to get it fixed. No real working out the bugs.