Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smoothing out a 2500 HD ride or going to a Yukon Denali

JeffK

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

do whatwe justdid.  we bought a 13 Ram diesel to tow the 257.  my wife likes it so much we traded the 15 silverado1500 and bought a duramax.  now we have 2500 diesels for daily drivers. 

Reminds me of what happened here last weekend... I convinced wife to test drive an F250. As we pull out of the dealer she says, “it feels too big and slow.”  So I tell her to put her foot down... engine whistles and truck jumps out of its shoes.  She gets thrown back in her seat and exclaims, “wow, I didn’t expect that!”

now she can’t stop talking about that torque. 

5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Reminds me of what happened here last weekend... I convinced wife to test drive an F250. As we pull out of the dealer she says, “it feels too big and slow.”  So I tell her to put her foot down... engine whistles and truck jumps out of its shoes.  She gets thrown back in her seat and exclaims, “wow, I didn’t expect that!”

now she can’t stop talking about that torque. 

This is why I haven’t test drove one yet.  I know I would love it.  My F150 is paid for and running fine so I do t NEED another vehicle, but an I sure would like a F250 Diesel.  

8 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

do whatwe justdid.  we bought a 13 Ram diesel to tow the 257.  my wife likes it so much we traded the 15 silverado1500 and bought a duramax.  now we have 2500 diesels for daily drivers. 

The last thing I need is another vehicle to have to maintain.  As mentioned, we are getting to a spot where we tow less, as we plan to leave the boat on a lift much of the summer.  I've had this truck for a year or two.  I don't think there is any danger of her wanting a diesel truck as her daily driver.

You'd figure with the hauling capacity of these trucks they would work on making a better progressive spring and dampening system. I know they try to do with the magnetic ride on the dampening side. And I think you'd be able to do it with the springs passively vs. actively with air bags and such.  I want to smooth my Tundra a bit, and it isn't near what the HD trucks are for capacity. I'm finding shocks are a big help and some have gone the lesser spring with bag back-up route. That is too involved for all the more complaint I have. But I will most likely change the shocks out soon. 

Drove my Yukon Denali 30 minuets tonight to Rockwall Ford to check on an F250 Lariat they have... drove the Super Duty... then returned home in the Yukon. 

Point of the story is... driving them both back to back the F250 was much smoother on the same roads. Go figure.

Oh, and the trade value on my Yukon is trash, which is why the F250 is still sitting back at the dealership. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Drove my Yukon Denali 30 minuets tonight to Rockwall Ford to check on an F250 Lariat they have... drove the Super Duty... then returned home in the Yukon. 

Point of the story is... driving them both back to back the F250 was much smoother on the same roads. Go figure.

Oh, and the trade value on my Yukon is trash, which is why the F250 is still sitting back at the dealership. 

What about selling it yourself?  Do dealers ever give people a fair trade value?  I know everytime I have tried to trade a vehicle in for a new ride they don't come close to market value.  Maybe I just have bad luck.

I also thought when you move to Texas a Ford F350 comes with the new house?!:)

Edited by Fman
1 minute ago, Fman said:

What about selling it yourself?  Do dealers ever give people a fair trade value?  I know everytime I have tried to trade a vehicle in for a new ride they don't come close to market value.  Maybe I just have bad luck.

You know, the dealers offer wasn’t bad compared to KBB. I’m just shocked how fast it has depreciated. Selling it on my own could get me a few G’s more but then I’d lose almost $3k in tax savings.  

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

You know, the dealers offer wasn’t bad compared to KBB. I’m just shocked how fast it has depreciated. Selling it on my own could get me a few G’s more but then I’d lose almost $3k in tax savings.  

If it was a Tahoe I'd buy it from you. Wife wants out of her Grand Cherokee and wants a Tahoe.

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Really?  What's driving your trade down?  Mileage?  I feel like looking in KBB they seem to be doing OK, as far as any SUV goes.  But I'm looking at used prices.  I've given up on buying brand new, even with my GM discount.  Too much depreciation in the first year or two.  After that initial hit, they seem to level off some.

Edited by JeffK
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Pimp level trim depreciates like crazy. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

If it was a Tahoe I'd buy it from you. Wife wants out of her Grand Cherokee and wants a Tahoe.

Just get the XL now, you’ll want the space for sure. It always amazes me how much stuff we pack for weekend trips to the cabin.

2 kids 2 dogs and the 350 Long bed is usually full.

• Like 3

I have to admit the title threw me for a loop.  I thought the entire point of it being a "denali" was that it was comfortable and luxurious.  Are they not comfortable?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, Pra4sno said:

I have to admit the title threw me for a loop.  I thought the entire point of it being a "denali" was that it was comfortable and luxurious.  Are they not comfortable?

As comfortable as any 3/4 ton truck. 

• Like 2
On 1/20/2018 at 6:35 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

The Tahoe you get the 5.3 w/ 6 speed unless you get the 18 RST with the 6.2/10 speed but very expensive.  The Denali has the 6.2 and 8 speed which is more powerful and more efficient.   5.3 is a dog in my opinion.  Tahoe is significantly cheaper though.  

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Cazan said:

The Tahoe you get the 5.3 w/ 6 speed unless you get the 18 RST with the 6.2/10 speed but very expensive.  The Denali has the 6.2 and 8 speed which is more powerful and more efficient.   5.3 is a dog in my opinion.  Tahoe is significantly cheaper though.  

I have a truck so the Tahoe will basically be a grocery getter. Would only tow with it if my truck was in the shop or something. GM re-mapped the throttle in for the 5.3's in the 2017+ Silverados, my truck is way more alive then my friends 14. Not sure if they did in the SUV's or not too.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, Pra4sno said:

I don't think my Denali HD is rough, rides better than my 2010 GMC Duramax did. I wonder if anyone has thought about how the vehicles are getting lighter with heavier towing capacity has to mean they are going to ride rougher. I rode with a coworker the other day in his aluminum F350 drw. Easily the roughest riding pickup I have ever been in, he said the same thing about it.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:38 AM, Falko said:

You'd figure with the hauling capacity of these trucks they would work on making a better progressive spring and dampening system. I know they try to do with the magnetic ride on the dampening side. And I think you'd be able to do it with the springs passively vs. actively with air bags and such.  I want to smooth my Tundra a bit, and it isn't near what the HD trucks are for capacity. I'm finding shocks are a big help and some have gone the lesser spring with bag back-up route. That is too involved for all the more complaint I have. But I will most likely change the shocks out soon. 

Sounds like you want a ram 1500 with the air suspension.  Takes the already cushy ride and makes it better. 

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I don't think my Denali HD is rough, rides better than my 2010 GMC Duramax did. I wonder if anyone has thought about how the vehicles are getting lighter with heavier towing capacity has to mean they are going to ride rougher. I rode with a coworker the other day in his aluminum F350 drw. Easily the roughest riding pickup I have ever been in, he said the same thing about it.

And the F450 is even worse, they definitely like a load in them. That being said i don't think any of the newer 3/4 ton trucks ride rough. Maybe I'm just used to it IDK.  

The 3/4 tons have come a long way in past years. When you consider how much performance you get with the new diesels and all of the bells and whistles they offer along with a ride comparable to most 1/2 ton trucks. Why settle for anything else? It is easy to see why everyone is offering so many different options/packages to try to get people not to leave 1/2 ton market.

OK.  A few updates to go around.  Two Yukon test drives, one with repairs made to secure the roof, the other just off the lot, two migraine headaches.  That buffeting kills me.  I was nauseous after the ride.  So....  I'm either going to look at adding air ride to my suspension and being happy with it, or going to try a new direction.  I liked the Land Rover, but didn't like the lack of tech in them.  Seems like they could take on any surface or road condition, but can't display your text messages form your phone to the main screen.  I would prefer a few of those comforts.  In any case, no Yukon at this point.  Any recommendations on a good air ride suspension kit?  I know nothing about these.

10 hours ago, JeffK said:

OK.  A few updates to go around.  Two Yukon test drives, one with repairs made to secure the roof, the other just off the lot, two migraine headaches.  That buffeting kills me.  I was nauseous after the ride.  So....  I'm either going to look at adding air ride to my suspension and being happy with it, or going to try a new direction.  I liked the Land Rover, but didn't like the lack of tech in them.  Seems like they could take on any surface or road condition, but can't display your text messages form your phone to the main screen.  I would prefer a few of those comforts.  In any case, no Yukon at this point.  Any recommendations on a good air ride suspension kit?  I know nothing about these.

King shocks. Search them and tell them exactly how you drive, where, and how you want the hd to handle. They are pricey. But definitely can valve and spring the suspension to your needs. And then add the rear air bags later if you need them. 

Edited by spikew919
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Do they make a HD Tahoe? Or Suburban? It may not have the noise canceling option as the HD Denali does. 

Hadn't thought about that.  They do make a Suburban HD version and a tahoe RST that has the 6.2 in it.  But I also can't say for certain it is the noise cancelling.  GM can't seem to really pinpoint what the issue is.  There is just sound and pressure that resonates throughout the truck. 

11 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

King shocks. Search them and tell them exactly how you drive, where, and how you want the hd to handle. They are pricey. But definitely can valve and spring the suspension to your needs. And then add the rear air bags later if you need them. 

I will definitely check them out.  Would you suggest that over bagging?  Seems like bagging it gives you the flexibility to adjust, but maybe that isn't needed. 

Edited by JeffK