Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$40,000 Budget. Wants A Malibu. What Advice Do I Give My Friend?

CharlieBeaU

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I still think if he's a serious skier he needs to be looking at VTX (with or without surfgate).  

That said, @isellacuras's comments about his '12 VLX made me feel nostalgic towards mine.  Damn I loved that boat for all the reasons @shawndoggy mentioned (handling and throttle in particular) and many others.  I remember the day we picked it up (first pic below)... our first Malibu!  I went home that day thinking, "I own the flagship boat!"  To this day, it's happiest I've been bringing a new boat home.  It even fit in my garage in ONE bay.  I haven't been able to say that in years.  

I tend to agree that if you can get that VLX dialed in (maybe harder to do than a surfgate boat) and don't mine running listed, I'm sure you can get a great wave out of it.  

87f47e9b.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

vlx.JPG

Man, that's a sexy boat.

• Like 2

For what its worth, I run mine lightly listed with a device.  I use a nauticurl suction device that I mount at an angle which actually creates lift (on the non surf side) and delayed convergence.  I do not have to run bags on the seats or list dangerously.  As soon as I come off plane, the boat is essentially level so I'm not running slammed listed with bags on the seats and the rubrail in the water while at rest.  I think the wave is better than what it used to be in the beginning with a heavy list.  I have 650's in the lockers and fill only the surf side.  I only have to run a bow bag if we have more than 4-5 people on board.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but what about an early VTX?  If he's a skier he's gonna want a VTX over any other v-drive.  

I think @shawndoggy is right about the Illusion tower.  If he can manage to squeeze into a 2010+ he gets the G3 tower, like the one listed below for $45K.   

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Malibu-Wakesetter-VTX-for-sale-Canandaigua-New-York-68442.aspx

That said... if surfing is going to become more of a priority (and it likely will whether he knows it or not), I like the idea of getting the cheapest surfgate boat he can get his hands on.  

Or just add the GSA afterwards if he likes the surfing... 40,000.00 for boat... add 5,000 for GSA and done... Or as @shawndoggy stated.. build your own surfgate.. many post on here from manual to automated ones.

• Like 2

If your friend's last boat was a direct drive, and he slolams, then there's no way I'd put him in a big boat with surfgate.  I'd go VTX so he can still ski it well.

Edited by 67King
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, 67King said:

If your friend's last boat was a direct drive, and he slolams, then there's no way I'd put him in a big boat with surfgate.  I'd go VTX so he can still ski it well.

He's actually done the research on this and knows his family is going to prefer a little bigger boat and that they're going to be wakeboarding/surfing most of the time. He's pretty much resigned himself to a little bumpier wake than he's used to but a much happier family will mean a lot more time on the water regardless of sport.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Nice, I like it...

Another skier turned surfer!  We’re slowly winning the war fellas... now if we could just get @ahopkinsTXi fully converted. He’s a stubborn one, that guy!

My vote is @NWBU‘s ‘08 23 LSV. That’s an AWESOME surf hull. Just ask @-BS- .  I betcha he can even show you video. Plus that boat is local and just had dedicated pumps and bags installed. 

You don't know how true these words are. My friend, Adam, spent some time surfing behind my '14 this year. He's definitely hooked.

I think @NWBU's LSV is a little out of the price range and I'm pretty sure it's not going to fit in Adam's garage. I'd still like to see those surf videos though.

32 minutes ago, Stevo said:

He's got a call in and in discussions with the dealer on the last one. He may try to get up there next week. If I can get off work and get permission from the home boss I'm going with him.

Edited by CharlieBeaU
Update
19 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

He's got a call in and in discussions with the dealer on the last one. He may try to get up there next week. If I can get off work and get permission from the home boss I'm going with him.

Beware... no bow ballast on that one. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Is a 675lb bow triangle enough on its own in a VLX or do you really need the stock bow tank in addition? I'm guessing the size bags you run in the rear lockers is a big determining factor.

Could you add some lead bags or a small rectangle bag under the bow center cushion?

Edited by CharlieBeaU
Added question
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I almost think that's a good thing. IMHO that gen VLX needs bow weight for everything. Even skiing. You could plug in 2-300# of lead, under the seats for every day use. Put a 650 sumo for on top for those special occasions and you'd have a nice place to store the bag when not in use along with some other stuff.   Since i watched @Stevo trying to stash lead around the front tank, i no longer want  to add lead up front. Maybe do @Fmans #overthetop bow gunnel ballast. Hmmm?

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Is a 675lb bow triangle enough on its own in a VLX or do you really need the stock bow tank in addition? I'm guessing the size bags you run in the rear lockers is a big determining factor.

Could you add some lead bags or a small rectangle bag under the bow center cushion?

For a skier, i think 200# of permanent lead and a 675 for when it's needed. I'm not real sure but i think the bow tank is 250 or 300#. 

6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I almost think that's a good thing. IMHO that gen VLX needs bow weight for everything. Even skiing. You could plug in 2-300# of lead, under the seats for every day use. Put a 650 sumo for on top for those special occasions and you'd have a nice place to store the bag when not in use along with some other stuff.   Since i watched @Stevo trying to stash lead around the front tank, i no longer want  to add lead up front. Maybe do @Fmans #overthetop bow gunnel ballast. Hmmm?

Older gen boats with bow ballast have a hard bow tank with vertical side walls,  it is much easier stashing lead in the voids. My 17 25lsv has tapered side walls to match the contour of the Hull shape.

12 hours ago, IXFE said:

Nice, I like it...

Another skier turned surfer!  We’re slowly winning the war fellas... now if we could just get @ahopkinsTXi fully converted. He’s a stubborn one, that guy!

My vote is @NWBU‘s ‘08 23 LSV. That’s an AWESOME surf hull. Just ask @-BS- .  I betcha he can even show you video. Plus that boat is local and just had dedicated pumps and bags installed. 

I've actually done the opposite.  Grew up skiing (late 70's through mid 80's).  Finally got a boat in my late 30's, and went with a V-Drive, as a friend of mine convinced me that was the way to go, that wakeboarding was the thing, no one skied, etc.  Got an A22, and it wasn't great, but I could ski it (VLX is borderline un-skiable)  Then we discovered surfing, and wakeboarding took a big hit.  My kids do all 3 a little.  But honestly, now that the novelty has worn off, I just find surfing boring.  And no, I can't do the tricks and stuff, but skiing is more challenging, and I enjoy it more.  So I'd been more of a surfer who really wants to ski, again.  67QUeen isn't too keen on buying another boat, though I keep finding DD's that would make a great 2nd boat (e.g. https://nwga.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-malibu-sportster-lx-runs/6333206933.html).

At any rate, I went through the same process as the OP's friend.  Resigned to the other stuff, V-Drive for family, "skiing is dead," etc.  I'm actually seeing more people skiing nowadays that I was when I first got the Axis.  I think the trend is reversing a bit.  Maybe others see it differently, but I said what I said based on my experience.

12 hours ago, IXFE said:

Nice, I like it...

Add bow weight to that 23 and it makes a pretty nice slalom wake (not perfect... but way better than expected)... The slalom wake on my 23 is better than it was on on sunsetter lx... both have wake hulls... Or look for a diamond hull vdrive :)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I have no factory ballast in bow.. I have a triangle under seat and a sumo 800 under center bow cushion... I have not built it yet... but I am enclosing the 800 so you won't know it is even there... However.. this is in a 23 LSV

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Haha I do surf, all the time! Just have friends on the lake with those boats. They ski behind mine and I surf with them. No converting needed :biggrin:

I need a friend with a DD to teach me to slalom!

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Yeah I had 150 stashed around the tank of @CharlieBeaU's former 14 lsv and easily could've done another 150.  Getting it in is easy... getting it out was a bit of a knuckle shredder.

Come on @shawndoggy...

It's OUR former '14 LSV.

• Like 3