Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another opinion thread on a boat build!

Wavemaker

Here is my potential boat build with options.  I'd particularly like feedback on the red highlighted items. Options that y'all are really glad you have? Items that you really don't use much? I've already deleted items from reading other threads like chilax seating and rear seat backs (way too $$ for those anyway) Thanks for any feedback you guys might have!!  (it's the off season, what else do you have to do?? lol)

2018 Axis T22

Charcoal gel                   $1431      (I've always had white, would like something different!)

Blue or Red metal flake    $1431     I just think the metal flake makes the boat "pop", particularly on the Axis. (Bu's already pop!) But losing it could make room for another PTM clamping.

CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board  $832.00

Shrinkable Shipping Cover $313.00         (I guess this is mandatory) No mooring cover, boat will always be kept in garage.

High Altitude/Torque - 15 x 13 - 2773 $215.00

Monsoon 410 60L CAT -    Incl.

Exhaust - Surf Pipe       $715.00     (really looking forward to this option, I understand  it cuts back on the noise quite a bit for the surfer)

Stereo Option - Pack 2 (AutoVolume)  $3,649.00

Quick Release Latch                $229.00

PTM Clamping Spinner Slide Off  $1,833.00    These are a splurge.  90% of the time would only need one. Hard to spit out another 1.8k for another. Will I regret not having 2? Will the boat be overly "unbalanced" with just a rack on one side? 

Gorilla Tracking Fin (2nd)     $360.00

PnP Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent   $729.00

Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband  $3,507.00

Wedge - Power Wedge II    $3,124.00

Depth Finder                   $378.00

Drop In Cooler -               $101.00     Will probably drop this and buy a cheaper one aftermarket

Seat Bolster - Flip Up         $192.00     Or buy one of those "full seat" cushion boosters?

Soft-Grip Flooring              $1,153.00

Zero Off GPS Cruise             $846.00

Battery Charger (US)            $250.00

Dual Battery Switch              $160.00

Hydraulic Steering                $1,146.00      This is definitely a luxury item mainly to help the wife when driving. Seems like everyone who has driven with it,                loves it. But losing this option could help make room for another PTM clamping rack

Pull Up Cleats - Two Pair         $347.00

Ski Pylon                                $208.00     These don't appear to be recessable, seems like it would be a toe stubber. Not sure I would use it much anyway, I'll probably drop this one.

Docking Lights                         $400.00    Won't use it much at all.  But better to have them than the recessed area where they are supposed to go?

Underseat Lighting - White        $215.00

Underwater Lighting                  $399.00    Another gee whiz item that I wouldn't use much, but I bet it sure looks cool at night!

AW15 Tower Storage Pole           $69.00

14 in T13 Alloy                          $117.00

14 in T13 Alloy w/Side Carrier     $286.00

Ebony-Lighting Bezel Color        $74.00

Transom Step                          $250.00

Tell me what you know for sure about the pylon.  If it isn't retractable, that is a bummer.  

If you go without the GPS cruise, then the paddle wheel is standard, right?  Paddle wheel cruise control has been around for years and actually works pretty well, that might be a good spot to skimp.  Thoughts?  

I don't know where you are, but even where I live and it is scorching hot, it seems that having a heater is a great thing after the sun sets or to extend the season.  

What is the standard floor, and what exactly is 'soft grip flooring'?

Pylon does not retract, but if you order without it, there is a hole there. Plus if you ever pull a skier or tube..... I would keep ski pylon personally. 

you can’t get the depth finder without zero off cruise control. So deleting that would delete depth finder as well. Honestly, it’s 2018, gps cruise should be standard imo. Dealer here said almost no one checks that box but I would for sure if I was ordering an axis. 

Docking, underseat lights, and transom leds could all get killed from your build and not really take away from the overall experience. Whereas a 2nd clamping rack would see way more use. I think the underseat leds are a joke personally. They couldn’t have figured out a better option than just drilling 2 screws into the seat base (which stick out badly on a fiberglass non carpet seat base)? 

You could also save some money by just buying a promariner charger for $100 on amazon and installing yourself as well. 

How often do you drop your tower? 

If you're choosing between clamping racks or flake I'd pick the racks. 

If you sell the boat later you could keep a set and sell them separately. You won't get the money out of the flake.  

I'd also make sure to get zero off. 

I don't have experience w/ hydraulic steering.  Curious if others think it's a must have for a modern boat. 

Are the racks sold as a single or pair. I thought they came as a set?

4 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Pylon does not retract, but if you order without it, there is a hole there. Plus if you ever pull a skier or tube..... I would keep ski pylon personally. 

you can’t get the depth finder without zero off cruise control. So deleting that would delete depth finder as well. Honestly, it’s 2018, gps cruise should be standard imo. Dealer here said almost no one checks that box but I would for sure if I was ordering an axis. 

Is it then strange that the depth finder is listed as a separate option for $378?   Can you get even get GPS cruise without a depth finder?  It appears to be from the department of redundancy department.  

Is the pylon just bolted into some fiberglass, or is it built into some metal framework?  Would you trust the tower to pull tubes?

5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Tell me what you know for sure about the pylon.  If it isn't retractable, that is a bummer.  

If you go without the GPS cruise, then the paddle wheel is standard, right?  Paddle wheel cruise control has been around for years and actually works pretty well, that might be a good spot to skimp.  Thoughts?  

I don't know where you are, but even where I live and it is scorching hot, it seems that having a heater is a great thing after the sun sets or to extend the season.  

What is the standard floor, and what exactly is 'soft grip flooring'?

Yes, paddle wheel would be standard. I think these days GPS is just a really good upgrade to the paddle wheel.  I'm in the south and I don't think many order the heater, but yes I'm sure it might be nice on a late fall day run! Standard is nothing. Carpet is a small upgrade, soft grip is the really nice gator step. Thanks for your input!

4 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Docking, underseat lights, and transom leds could all get killed from your build and not really take away from the overall experience. Whereas a 2nd clamping rack would see way more use. I think the underseat leds are a joke personally. They couldn’t have figured out a better option than just drilling 2 screws into the seat base (which stick out badly on a fiberglass non carpet seat base)? 

You could also save some money by just buying a promariner charger for $100 on amazon and installing yourself as well. 

How often do you drop your tower? 

I think if I skip the pylon the hole would be another drink holder.  I can't get past it not be retractable and just being a toe stub.  I know how to pull a tube with the tower (I know there are some really strong feelings on this) the key is no slack in the rope and not allowing the tube to submerge.  It's definitely a skill towing a tube! Thanks for your thoughts on the lights - I gotta think hard on those. Pretty sure I'm going to nix the underwater - didn't realize the underseat led lights were so bad - if I didn't get this option would I lose the lights on the sides where the drink holders are? I'll drop my tower every outing. Thanks for the thoughts!

4 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I think you’re over proped. 2277 maybe?

Yes to the flip up bolster maybe no to the 2nd fin. 

I'm still so confused on the prop options. On other boats the 2249 is the torque option. On this boat I'm told the 2773 is the torque and the 2277 is the speed prop.  I'm getting so much conflicting info on this. I'll probably stick to the flip up bolster, just mainly because it's connected and will always be there!! If every Bu sold has two fins, isn't it fairly important? At least its not a super high dollar option :) Thanks!

3 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

If you're choosing between clamping racks or flake I'd pick the racks. 

If you sell the boat later you could keep a set and sell them separately. You won't get the money out of the flake.  

I'd also make sure to get zero off. 

I don't have experience w/ hydraulic steering.  Curious if others think it's a must have for a modern boat. 

Are the racks sold as a single or pair. I thought they came as a set?

Well I could always add a second clamping rack later (yes they can be sold individually - at least when you order the boat) I couldn't add the metal flake.  The hydraulic steering is so intriguing to me. Totally not necessary, people seem to love it. Wouldn't have to ever replace a steering cable either - although I'm pretty darn sure the steering cable will outlast me owning the boat! Good point on keeping the racks when I sell the boat. Take 'em off and put them on the next boat!!

• Like 1

I have a 2017 23 lsv, so I am speaking from knowledge of that.

I would pay for the metal flake. I can spot an Axis for miles that has it. 

I would get at least two PTM swivel racks if possible. I've never seen a boat with just one.

I would get docking and underwater lights. We don't use ours much but when we do, they are nice. The docking lights look good during the day too. I leave mine on all the time.

I would get the seat bolster. Guests love to use them to watch the surfer and they also just like leaning on them. Ours are up at least 3/4 of the time we are on the water.  

I would not get the battery changer. My batteries hold up just fine and a trickle charger twice a year does the job.

I would not get the bimini surf board storage although it doesn't cost much. I prefer a truck bed bungee and just slide the boards under it; we never lose any.

I would not bother getting the hydraulic steering. I don't have it and my boat drives just fine. I think my friend's boat had it and the steering was much stiffer. 

I would not get the HA prop unless you are above 4000 ft. We are at 1100ft and I use a  15X17.75 which is on the opposite side of a torque prop and it works really well for surfing. It keeps the rpm's low too. A 2277 is in the middle,

Surf band only seems to work well with the music. My driver seldom turns up the music, but the other things are very difficult to configure while surfing. I never know if the wedge is going up or down or the speed is going faster or slower. I seldom use it. 

53 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I would get docking and underwater lights. We don't use ours much but when we do, they are nice. The docking lights look good during the day too. I leave mine on all the time.

For one, running them all the time (any time actually) is illegal in many states. Second, you are blinding everyone else on the water. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have a 2017 23 lsv, so I am speaking from knowledge of that.

I would pay for the metal flake. I can spot an Axis for miles that has it.

I agree - and I think you're spot on about the Axis, it just needs more pop because of the limited paint scheme options.  

I would get at least two PTM swivel racks if possible. I've never seen a boat with just one.

This one is so tough, such an expensive option. But you're right, if nothing else I think it would look funky with just one. 

I like that you said you use them during the day, you've sold me on the docking lights. Our lake is a small private lake that is restricted to day use (I guess I should have mentioned that earlier) I doubt I'll use the boat much anywhere else (maybe 1%) underwater lights would hardly ever get used except maybe at the end of the day when I'm pulling onto the trailer. The more I think about that one the more I think I'll nix it.

I would get the seat bolster. Guests love to use them to watch the surfer and they also just like leaning on them. Ours are up at least 3/4 of the time we are on the water.  

I think we're talking about 2 different things here.  The bolster seat is for the driver to sit up. I think you are talking about the "chilax seating" where the bottom cushion swings up to make a back. But wouldn't this option just take away the seat next to the glove box? That seat area would no longer have an area to stretch out their legs! 

I would not get the battery changer. My batteries hold up just fine and a trickle charger twice a year does the job.

I think you have a really good point. I was just thinking of the convenience that they were always set up and ready to trickle charge by just plugging in 1 extension cord. At least I think this is how this option works. Anyone know for sure?

I would not get the bimini surf board storage although it doesn't cost much. I prefer a truck bed bungee and just slide the boards under it; we never lose any.

This is very interesting, I never thought of this. Of course if I get the second rack I really think I'd rarely use the bimini for surf storage anyway. So you just bought a couple of 7' long bungees and strapped them across your bimini? Do they hold your boards down tight?

I would not bother getting the hydraulic steering. I don't have it and my boat drives just fine. I think my friend's boat had it and the steering was much stiffer. 

I've also read that it was "tighter" but I think this might be a good thing.... sportier and more responsive? We need @Anderson24 to chime in on this and talk more about his hydraulic steering!

I would not get the HA prop unless you are above 4000 ft. We are at 1100ft and I use a  15X17.75 which is on the opposite side of a torque prop and it works really well for surfing. It keeps the rpm's low too. A 2277 is in the middle,

Again I'm confused on these props. Why is the 2249 standard for the T22 but it is the torque option for other boats? Is the 2773 just a high altitude prop and not a torque prop? I thought an HA prop and high torque prop were really the same thing. (basically grabbing more of the water and therefore using higher RPMs - am somewhat on the right thinking track on this??

Surf band only seems to work well with the music. My driver seldom turns up the music, but the other things are very difficult to configure while surfing. I never know if the wedge is going up or down or the speed is going faster or slower. I seldom use it. 

Interesting that you don't use this much. It comes with the surf gate option and I was thinking it worked really well and was pretty responsive. I'm sorry to hear you don't use it much :(   Thanks for all your suggestions!

9 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

For one, running them all the time (any time actually) is illegal in many states. Second, you are blinding everyone else on the water. 

I've never heard of them being illegal, but if they are in fact "blinding" I could see why. But are they really that bright? I though they were just to help see puling on your trailer at night. How bright could they really be?

The requirements concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for lights specified by the United States Coast Guard, or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the ...etc.

Docking lights at any time other than docking is definitely a no no.

• Like 2

When I'm at home and see pics of underwater lights I wish I had them.... When I'm on the water around sunset and the mosquitoes start attacking I can't get boat on the trailer fast enough. 

• Like 3

Yes, to the flip up bolster.   Ours gets used a lot and I think that would go more towards making the wife comfy driving the boat than PS.  Personally, no to docking lights.  But, that really depends if you are out late much.    I don't have them and can't say I miss them.  Transom underwater lights are super cool, but with young kids, we only use them a few times a year right now as we aren't out late much.   But when we do, they are worth the relatively small cost of the upgrade.  

Definitely skip the cooler.   Much better options aftermarket, even if the cost is similar.  A lot of us like the AO soft sided coolers, which is what I use.   

11 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

I've never heard of them being illegal, but if they are in fact "blinding" I could see why. But are they really that bright? I though they were just to help see puling on your trailer at night. How bright could they really be?

They are called docking lights and not running lights for a reason.  If you're the type to run at night it doesn't take much white light from an outsides source to ruin or degrade your night vision.  Imagine for a moment you're Captain of a night cruise and you're driving and scanning the waterline looking for obstructions (or God forbid some idiot swimmer or moron not running nav/anchor lights) and the dude up ahead insists on running his docking lights which inhibits your vision.  Trust me, while you might not care (you're not the one getting the business) others are cursing you.  I have a name for people who do this and it's not a nice one.  Having said that, the tower lights that surfers use are far worse.

With all the pontoons on our lake and the more common use of them at night its illegal, and stupid to run docking lights. It makes seeing your nav lights impossible in most situations you don't see much if any farther and blinding to oncoming boats.  Boating at night should be done at very reduced speed. you have a very poor depth of field and very limited vision. As formulaben said God forbid a swimmer is in the nav water. I remember A night I could hear swimmers in front of our house around midnight. Swimming across the lake. Then you could hear A large off shore boat coming at speed! The swimmers were yelling what do we do??????? All you could do is cringe and hope for the best. Thank Good the boat passed without incident. We have had four bad incident of night boating with death on our lake that I know of. I use mine coming onto the lift. As soon as I am halfway on they go off. Just for bugs.  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice on options, I have some good ideas now on how to configure my build.  I'm not quite sure why we got off on the driving at NIGHT with docking lights, I don't think anyone has suggested that at all.

One possible option I forgot to mention is the engine flush kit, at first I thought: "I'm not taking this boat in salt water, so I don't need a flush kit" But what if I want to run the engine for a few minutes every few weeks in the off season? Wouldn't the engine flush kit make this much easier? I see a lot of people don't get this option on their boat, wondering if they use a plunger type thing under the boat to run the engine on dry land - sure seems more difficult, but I don't know. 

Edited by Wavemaker

Here is some of the feedback I have shared after working with similar customers:

Metal Flake - just preference, form vs function (other options being more functional) I find there is about a 50/50 preference toward metal flake/flat gel color. 

PTM Racks - get one pair if budget allows. Add a second pair of non-clamping racks down the road if you end up needing more storage

Drop in cooler - don't do it, it is the same cooler you buy at walmart but with a cool Axis sticker

Seat bolster - they are stored in the rear lockers, annoying to stow/retrieve but very cool. Again, preference if you think you will use them (I believe we are referring to the same option, but I could be wrong)

Hydraulic steering - cool to have, but all you are turning is the rudder. The steering cable does a great job if maintained, I personally would test drive a boat with & without the hydrolics and decide yourself

Pylon - good to have if you pull a beginner tuber or any skiiers. Also a great thing to have if another boat breaks down and you have to tow them. If you skip the pylon, it should be replaced with a cupholder (not 100% positive on this)

Docking lights/underwater lights - if you boat at night, you may regret skipping them. Underwater lights can be installed aftermarket, and in my opinion you get better quality at a competitive price. I have seen more underwater lights flicker or bum out from the factory, wish we had aftermarket underwater lights. 

Let me know if you have more questions and good luck!

Edited by AndySC
36 minutes ago, AndySC said:

Here is some of the feedback I have shared after working with similar customers:

Metal Flake - just preference, form vs function (other options being more functional) I find there is about a 50/50 preference toward metal flake/flat gel color. 

PTM Racks - get one pair if budget allows. Add a second pair of non-clamping racks down the road if you end up needing more storage

I'm definitely getting at least 1 clamping, but heavily leaning towards just sucking it up and getting 2. 

Drop in cooler - don't do it, it is the same cooler you buy at walmart but with a cool Axis sticker

Agreed, thanks.

Seat bolster - they are stored in the rear lockers, annoying to stow/retrieve but very cool. Again, preference if you think you will use them (I believe we are referring to the same option, but I could be wrong)

I was talking about the driver seat flip up. I agree with you about the backs for the rear facing seat, I think it would turn into a pain and also blocking the way to the transom.

Hydraulic steering - cool to have, but all you are turning is the rudder. The steering cable does a great job if maintained, I personally would test drive a boat with & without the hydrolics and decide yourself

Unfortunately there are no boats to demo with this option. Dealers tend to never add this option to there spec boats.  I can only go by what the Bu Crew suggests who have driven one with hydraulic steering!

Pylon - good to have if you pull a beginner tuber or any skiiers. Also a great thing to have if another boat breaks down and you have to tow them. If you skip the pylon, it should be replaced with a cupholder (not 100% positive on this)

VERY good point about towing another boat, I hadn't though of that. However it not being retractable might be a deal breaker. Maybe I could get one aftermarket that is retractable? On the horizontal bar just above the swim there is a tiny hook underneath, do people use that to pull skiers/tubes? Do you know what that little hook is stressed to? 

Docking lights/underwater lights - if you boat at night, you may regret skipping them. Underwater lights can be installed aftermarket, and in my opinion you get better quality at a competitive price. I have seen more underwater lights flicker or bum out from the factory, wish we had aftermarket underwater lights. 

Great info on problems with underwater lights, I think you have me convinced to skip this one especially since I will rarely rarely have the boat in the water after dark.

Let me know if you have more questions and good luck!

I do have another question, is the optional battery charger permanently  hooked up to both batteries where you just plug in an extension cord? I assume it's a trickle charger? I know I could get one after market for cheaper, but if it is all set and ready to go it may be worth the small amount of extra $$

Edited by Wavemaker
19 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

They are bright, but I have never seen any that would blind somebody. I was told to turn them off on the river in Parker, AZ but never had problems other than that. With the way boats shift, I doubt if lights would ever be in someone's eyes for more than a split second or so. Barely enough to do any harm IMO.

23 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

Seriously? It's a Coast Guard law anywhere in the US. Even the lights under the swimstep or inside the tower speakers can earn you a ticket.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
8 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Seriously? It's a Coast Guard law anywhere in the US. Even the lights under the swimstep or inside the tower speakers can earn you a ticket.

Yes seriously, I didn't know they were illegal during daylight hours.