Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chewed Power Wedge Actuator Cables

Mulligan03

Brand new to this site.....

At the end of the season, I found that some animal chewed through both of the cables running to the actuators that run my Power Wedge.  My question is, do I have to replace both actuators, or can the cables just be soldered together?  If fixing the cables will work, I may want to replace the cables all together as they are pretty beaten up.

Any advice would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Jim

2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

This is very helpful.  You think this will work?  I am very nervous to DIY anything on this boat, but considering over a $500 price tag on this fix through the shop, I'm willing to try.

15 minutes ago, Mulligan03 said:

This is very helpful.  You think this will work?  I am very nervous to DIY anything on this boat, but considering over a $500 price tag on this fix through the shop, I'm willing to try.

I think it would work, as a matter of fact I probably have enough of the actual Lenco wire that I could spare.  If interested, how much would you need?

27 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I think it would work, as a matter of fact I probably have enough of the actual Lenco wire that I could spare.  If interested, how much would you need?

Wow, thats very nice of you.  To be safe, since I am repairing both cables going to the actuators, maybe 6 feet total.  3 feet from hull to each actuator?  Let me know.

12 minutes ago, Mulligan03 said:

Wow, thats very nice of you.  To be safe, since I am repairing both cables going to the actuators, maybe 6 feet total.  3 feet from hull to each actuator?  Let me know.

There's still a few of us nice guys around this forum :whistle: Yeah that'll give you plenty of room to make the other connection inside the boat.  I'll see what I have tonight and let you know.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

There's still a few of us nice guys around this forum :whistle: Yeah that'll give you plenty of room to make the other connection inside the boat.  I'll see what I have tonight and let you know.

That is really cool.  Thank you.  No worries if you don't have any extra.  I saved the website you sent and don't mind ordering.  Thanks again!

On 11/30/2017 at 8:36 AM, Ndawg12 said:

Don't ask me how I've misplaced a box full of a dozen actuators and spare parts but I have.  Might take me a few days to find it.

It's cool.  I really appreciate you checking.  If not, if you could help me on which size of duplex wire and steel braiding I should oder, it would be great.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, Mulligan03 said:

Brand new to this site.....

At the end of the season, I found that some animal chewed through both of the cables running to the actuators that run my Power Wedge.  My question is, do I have to replace both actuators, or can the cables just be soldered together?  If fixing the cables will work, I may want to replace the cables all together as they are pretty beaten up.

Any advice would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Jim

I am very familiar with the repair you need to make.  I've had the same experience with some animal chewing through my wedge cables.

I recommend replacing the cable entirely.  It's actually easier than trying to patch it.  Here's what you will need:

Cable: Initially, I discovered that the SJEO rated (water and oil resistant) cable needed for the repair was hard to get except in bulk (100' spools).  However, with some additional research on Coleman Cable's website, I learned that they sell the exact same cable with a molded 110 plug end in 9' lengths.  The intended use is as a replacement cord for power tools but you can just cut the plug off and you have a nice 9' long piece of cable.  They are available for about $12 each.  You'll need one for each actuator.

Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-09854-Replacement-9-Foot/dp/B00004SQH1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512168277&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+cable+09854

Actuator End Connectors: The connectors you need within the actuator are 14 - 16ga, 0.187" Flag Quick Disconnect terminals.  It is important that you use this exact nomenclature connector because there is very little room inside the actuator for anything else.  These connectors are available on Amazon in packs of 25 but if you PM me with your address I can put some in the mail to you.

Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV7T9R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boat End Connector: The connector inside the boat is a Deutsch DT 2-pin female connector.  The pins on Deutsch connectors are designed to be field removable but I couldn't find anyone that sold just the pins.  Fortunately, the entire male/female kit with housing and pins are readily available for less than $7.00 each.

Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Deutsch-2-Pin-Connector-Housing-Terminals/dp/B0166WDCVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512169552&sr=8-1&keywords=Deutsch+DT+2-pin+female

- You may be able to use the stainless steel braided sleeve as suggested above but you will need something closer to 1/4" - 3/8" in diameter rather than 5/8".  The OD of the cable is 0.310".  You can probably get the braided sleeve through the waterproof fitting in the transom of the boat and get it to seal but I'm not sure you're going to be able to get it through the opening on the actuator end and get it to seal.

Edited by Brent Wall

^^^ great post @Brent Wall!

Great idea re the tool replacement cord.  Home depot has 8' versions https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-ft-16-2-Power-Tool-Replacement-Cord-AW62633/100661451 and usually they have those flag connectors in stock too.  

the deutsch connectors probably do need to be ordered... though I wouldn't be opposed to snipping both ends off and getting a weatherpack connector from NAPA instead if I were in a hurry (or was facing losing a weekend).

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

^^^ great post @Brent Wall!

Great idea re the tool replacement cord.  Home depot has 8' versions https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-ft-16-2-Power-Tool-Replacement-Cord-AW62633/100661451 and usually they have those flag connectors in stock too.  

the deutsch connectors probably do need to be ordered... though I wouldn't be opposed to snipping both ends off and getting a weatherpack connector from NAPA instead if I were in a hurry (or was facing losing a weekend).

The Coleman Cable I referenced above is the EXACT same SJEO rated (water and oil resistant) cable that comes from the factory; just a short length of it packaged as a tool replacement cord.  I would not assume that just any tool replacement cord has the same water and oil resistant properties.  Obviously, these properties are important in this application but if it is not specifically marked as such it probably isn't water resistant. 

I did not find 0.187 Flag Connectors at any local store (Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value, Etc.).  In fact, finding Flag Connectors of any kind was difficult, much less ones that are 0.187 in width.  The best bet is to order them.

All of the parts needed for this repair were readily available online for less than $50 total.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:52 PM, Brent Wall said:

The Coleman Cable I referenced above is the EXACT same SJEO rated (water and oil resistant) cable that comes from the factory; just a short length of it packaged as a tool replacement cord.  I would not assume that just any tool replacement cord has the same water and oil resistant properties.  Obviously, these properties are important in this application but if it is not specifically marked as such it probably isn't water resistant. 

I did not find 0.187 Flag Connectors at any local store (Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value, Etc.).  In fact, finding Flag Connectors of any kind was difficult, much less ones that are 0.187 in width.  The best bet is to order them.

All of the parts needed for this repair were readily available online for less than $50 total.

Brent,

Great advice.  Thank you so much.  I tried to PM you my address, but the site says you can't receive personal messages.