Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak oil?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So reading this whole thread it seems we are spilt on half who use the oil and half who use the sealer.  I'm getting ready to do mine in a couple weeks and I'm not sure what to use.  

On my old VLX I would strip it down every couple of years and only use Teak oil, had lots of complements on it. I would reapply before every year and it always looked good.... until my dog scratched the crap out of it:mad:

I have used both. Each have good and bad sides. Sealer lasts longer but when the need to redo it takes much more work.  ( Sanding )  A good oil needs to be maintained more often but its very easy and quick. I went back to teak oil last spring and am happy I did.  For me I pick a time now and then over the year that I am not going to use my boat for two or three days and just grab a nice rag dip it in some oil or even poor a small amount on the platform and wipe it around. I do it on my lift it takes less then ten minutes.  So this fall when I pulled my boat for the season all I had to do was wipe more oil on the platform. I remove it and put it in the basement. I have added maybe three more wipe downs with oil over the winter to really soak it in. Dammer it look good.  How much sun is on it will make some difference on the time between oiling. I could have used it once last summer but it was at the end of the season so I let it go.  

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

I have used both. Each have good and bad sides. Sealer lasts longer but when the need to redo it takes much more work.  ( Sanding )  A good oil needs to be maintained more often but its very easy and quick. I went back to teak oil last spring and am happy I did.  For me I pick a time now and then over the year that I am not going to use my boat for two or three days and just grab a nice rag dip it in some oil or even poor a small amount on the platform and wipe it around. I do it on my lift it takes less then ten minutes.  So this fall when I pulled my boat for the season all I had to do was wipe more oil on the platform. I remove it and put it in the basement. I have added maybe three more wipe downs with oil over the winter to really soak it in. Dammer it look good.  How much sun is on it will make some difference on the time between oiling. I could have used it once last summer but it was at the end of the season so I let it go.  

1 hour ago, Agman said:

On my old VLX I would strip it down every couple of years and only use Teak oil, had lots of complements on it. I would reapply before every year and it always looked good.... until my dog scratched the crap out of it:mad:

Which brand of oil?

I'm doing my 2000 VLX.  The previous owner hadn't touched it in years.  I think I'm going to do a light sand and try the oil and see how it turns out.  I'll grab some before and after pics.  Thanks for the info! 

2 hours ago, Cazan said:

Which brand of oil?

I'm doing my 2000 VLX.  The previous owner hadn't touched it in years.  I think I'm going to do a light sand and try the oil and see how it turns out.  I'll grab some before and after pics.  Thanks for the info! 

I got Watco at home depot and really like it.  

Seems to be the primary brand over there.  One $10 jug is probably going to last 5 years.

Edited by Pra4sno
  • Like 2

Watco has a sealer in it. At least all the ones I have used. I would go with a pure teak oil.  I could not find any just oil so I got Star bright from Amazon .   https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Teak-Oil-32/dp/B001AJ7O5O/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1517623575&sr=8-16&keywords=teak+oil  

I used Watco on my teak furniture. Now if I want to get it back to just an oil finish it all needs to be sanded.  :rant:    I am not a fan.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cazan said:

So reading this whole thread it seems we are spilt on half who use the oil and half who use the sealer.  I'm getting ready to do mine in a couple weeks and I'm not sure what to use.  

One this is for sure, someone here will make sure to explain that you're wrong.  :rofl:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sixball said:

Watco has a sealer in it. At least all the ones I have used. I would go with a pure teak oil.  I could not find any just oil so I got Star bright from Amazon .   https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Teak-Oil-32/dp/B001AJ7O5O/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1517623575&sr=8-16&keywords=teak+oil  

I used Watco on my teak furniture. Now if I want to get it back to just an oil finish it all needs to be sanded.  :rant:    I am not a fan.

I'm seeing two variations.  One is a teak oil sealer and the other is teak oil.  May be the issue?  Or maybe I have a lot of work to go through again...

2 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

I'm seeing two variations.  One is a teak oil sealer and the other is teak oil.  May be the issue?  Or maybe I have a lot of work to go through again...

So I just looked at the cans. The Watco says Teak oil and in small letters under finish. This was the only one my Home depot and Lowes had .  I also have some Minwax  it does not say finish but if my memory is correct it had a more finish outcome not just oil.  All I know is I went back to a marine teak oil and am now a happy camper!

2 hours ago, Sixball said:

So I just looked at the cans. The Watco says Teak oil and in small letters under finish. This was the only one my Home depot and Lowes had .  I also have some Minwax  it does not say finish but if my memory is correct it had a more finish outcome not just oil.  All I know is I went back to a marine teak oil and am now a happy camper!

Did you have to sand everything again?

3 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Did you have to sand everything again?

Yes. what ever they put into the ones I used makes a hard finish. If you wipe teak oil on it it does not soak into the wood.  The swim platform was not that bad being mostly flat. All my furniture on the other hand I doubt I will ever get that back. that is what pi$$ed me off.  I did it just before a big party and didn't see the outcome till to late. I should have done a test piece.  What a dumb a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

That is gorgeous !

Steve B

Thanks.  It's pretty thirsty I'm getting ready to put my 4th coat on.  The only thing I've notice is the sheen wears off as it dries and it's kinda a matte/flat finish.  I'm hoping a couple more coats it will leave a slight sheen. 

8 hours ago, Cazan said:

Thanks.  It's pretty thirsty I'm getting ready to put my 4th coat on.  The only thing I've notice is the sheen wears off as it dries and it's kinda a matte/flat finish.  I'm hoping a couple more coats it will leave a slight sheen. 

everyone enjoys seeing the magical pop of restored teak; good stuff.

as you search for that "slight sheen" consider that it may translate to slippery.

• Like 2