Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra low Level Fuel Light

malibu2004

I have a 2012 Tundra. The low level fuel light that has the arrow pointing towards the left has decided to come on even when the tank is full. Any idea's? It's the light under the full mark on the gauge. 

I can't believe you just posted this question. 

My 2010 Tundra ran out of fuel about two weeks ago and I had to spend about $1,000.00 for a new float to tell the light switch to turn on and for a new fuel pump.  I am very good about waiting for the fuel light to turn on and then I would reset my trip meter to zero and then I always knew I would have about 70 miles before I had to refuel my vehicle.  My problem started when the float failed to turn on the light switch.  When the light switch did not turn on, I never reset my trip meter.  Since I never reset my trip meter, I had no ideal my fuel was low until I ran out of gas!  And as you would expect, I ran out of fuel at the worst possible place and time on a very busy freeway with a narrow shoulder and an night with no street lights and traffic flowing at max capacity.  Since my fuel light never turned on, I never suspected that lack of fuel way my problem, so I call a tow truck to move my truck.  The shoulder was so narrow, that the tow truck driver and I had to crawl out of our passenger doors to get out of our vehicles.  Also, he would not load my truck onto his tow truck until a second tow truck arrived to shield the loading of my truck by parking behind my truck.  

Once I got my truck to the nearest dealer for repairs, they added a few gallons of gas and it fired right up.  My truck normally gets about 290 to 300 miles per tank.  My trip meter showed 367 when I picked it up after the repairs.  So, the trip meter was about 60 to 70 miles more than when I would normally refuel once the low fuel warning light turned on (if it were working).

Again, my repair consisted of a float to control the light, and a fuel pump.  If you're lucky, maybe all you need is the float.  Otherwise, it could be up to $1,000.00 for repairs.

Note: This is the first time my truck has ever stranded me on the road.  Also, I have about 110,000 miles.

Good luck.  

13 minutes ago, P6Expert said:

My gauge was working as well.  It was the float that controls the light that was bad.  Good luck.

Yea, it might be a remove the bulb deal. I'm not spending that kind of money for a light to turn off. 

8yrs 120k miles in my 2010 5.7L.... never heard of anything like this.  Never ran it empty.

towing an 8-9000lb boat, I will absolutely not pass a gas station past 1/4 tank getting only 6-7MPGs.

and I will never buy another truck with only a 24gal gas tank again.  Garbage.

^^^haha preach!  My last truck had a 36 gallon tank so when I was shopping last year for its replacement I never imagined I’d buy one with only a 22 gallon tank, talk about facepalm. I used to be able to get to the lake on one tank (~350 miles) and now I can’t, sucks!

As long as we are comparing tanks, mine is 95 gallons.........................

I honestly can't imagine having a tow vehicle with a tank that is 25 gallons or less.  Kind of silly to equip a truck that way, but I am sure that the manufactures are doing it to save weight for better MPG ratings.

Mine F150 has a 36ish (?) gallon tank. Biggest tank i have had in a car. Problem i have here in Ca. is gas is ~3.50/gallon and the stations only allow you to pump $100 at a time. Sucks that i can't even fill the tank if I'm close to empty. If i want/need to fill up, I have to slide my card twice. Sucks. 

13 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Mine F150 has a 36ish (?) gallon tank. Biggest tank i have had in a car. Problem i have here in Ca. is gas is ~3.50/gallon and the stations only allow you to pump $100 at a time. Sucks that i can't even fill the tank if I'm close to empty. If i want/need to fill up, I have to slide my card twice. Sucks. 

Used to have that problem, but since gas is less here in Alabama, I don't anymore.

Weird that this is going on - have you checked the Tundra forums? 

www.tundras.com 

or

www.TundraTalk.com 

Not that this helps solve the issue, but the fuel pump is cooled with fuel, so that light might be indicative of a blockage or failed sensor somewhere.  Good Luck!

4 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Weird that this is going on - have you checked the Tundra forums? 

www.tundras.com 

or

www.TundraTalk.com 

Not that this helps solve the issue, but the fuel pump is cooled with fuel, so that light might be indicative of a blockage or failed sensor somewhere.  Good Luck!

Yea but nothing gets excited to try. 

20 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Lol 😂 

i just read where Californians VOTED to increase their own gas tax!!

actually self elected to give the state gov more money.  

Meanwhile $2.20/gal anywhere in my town.