Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Winter Project Support Thread

JeffK

when you press vol up there is a lag between pushing the button the the numbers / vol actually going up. its just a bit slow. I have no had any issues with bluetooth nor do i notice a difference between usb and bt, or at least not one that i would change. 

1 hour ago, agarabaghi said:

when you press vol up there is a lag between pushing the button the the numbers / vol actually going up. its just a bit slow. I have no had any issues with bluetooth nor do i notice a difference between usb and bt, or at least not one that i would change. 

Ahhh Gotcha! I can see how that could be a little annoying. I am coming from a 2001 VLX with a terrible stereo so I am sure I will be very happy with the stock SP2 in the Axis. 

1 minute ago, agarabaghi said:

Tony Carrolls one of my friends with ride / film with a bunch (2018 A24)

That thing is sweet! That is what we are looking at getting. We are thinking about ordering a 18 A24.

The wakeboard wake on that is really big its nuts. He jsut runs stock ballast + pnp + 1100 on the floor and 2 people usually wedge are 2 or 3 and with just the 450 it gets on plane much easier than his 17 with the 575 or w/e the other engine is.

Im jealous of pw2 and will def be looking at a 2018 T23 next summer

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Is that all you do? and what surface is it sitting on? 

Malibu sits in a car tent on a rubber (roofing material) covered dirt floor.  Other trailers (5) sit on the dirt ground with something in front of the tires to block sunlight.

Edited by electricjohn
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, JeffK said:

I hadn't heard of that before, but looked and saw a lot of people do this for car winter layup.  Is this because we assume they will lose air over the winter or is there something else?

Yes, and I read it somewhere (before there was internet).

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So, I've accomplished a fair amount over the winter break. 

1)Thanks to some audio help, my audio hiss is gone. 

2)  I also rebuilt my sub box, although I think I may rebuild it again.  I went with the middle of the sealed specs, but think it could use a little more air space.  The previous box I built had a little more space in it and seemed to sound better.  I'll play some more. 

3)  I have cleaned up the amp board and all wires and mounted the board back up.  It was never attached properly initially. 

4)  I ran some heavier gauge wire to the 12 accessory plugs at the helm and down the stbd side for the high-draw air pumps. 

5)  I also ran some new heater hoses.  I have three pull-out tubes now.  One in the walkway, one mounted on the sub and one out of the seat base.  My kids always huddled at my feet when the heater was on.  I couldn't stand the heat and hated them being right in front of the sub. 

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Jeff, what did you make your sub box out of? Im going to add a 12' sub under the helm of my 17' A20. Ive made them out of MDF before but I doubt that is recommended for a boat application. 

Jason

21 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Hey Jeff, what did you make your sub box out of? Im going to add a 12' sub under the helm of my 17' A20. Ive made them out of MDF before but I doubt that is recommended for a boat application. 

Jason

I actually did use MDF, but sealed it and then hit it with spray on bed liner.  Not sure this is the recommended option, but couldn't easily get king starboard around here.  I assumed I'd be building a couple boxes and figuring out what I liked best. 

40 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Jason

Onewake, 

Here' a link that you may find helpful to, Bill_AirJunky and I moding up subbox under the helm.

At the moment bills pics are missing, I've PM him. Have a look.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:47 PM, robbennett said:

@Gavin17 I used Monstaliner truck bed liner. It is a urethane coating that is thick lick gelcoat. It rolls on so no worries about overspray. I used PPG Omni epoxy primer under it. I also rolled the primer. 

The bed liner was really nice and held up amazing. It mixes with a hardener so no worries about it dissolving if you get gasoline or any other harsh chemicals on it. It was kinda hard to cover up the bedliner with the seadek it came out so good! 

I will say you will probably want to wrap the aluminum piece that goes over the fuel tank with seadek sheet material. It is crudely cut and I screwed 3/8" of plastic around the perimeter of it to fill in some of the space where carpet used to be. I did the same with the bilge access hatch except used seadek instead of the plastic around the edges. The good news if you want to do deckadence the aluminum piece will sit flush with the floor if you put seadek on it. If you don't it will be a low spot in the floor. 

I'm still thinking on this.  I was going to just make a new floor piece out of marine plywood/ fiberglass and epoxy but you're right that modifying my existing panel may be easier.  I don't need the table mount.  I gave my table away to de clutter my garage. 

Edit: actually I'd rather just make one out of aluminum.  I have several friends w/ welders and I could use the TIG practice.  

When I pull up my carpet I'm left w/ some glue residue.  How much sanding should I do or can I just prime right over the glue?

Edited by Gavin17
58 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

I'm still thinking on this.  I was going to just make a new floor piece out of marine plywood/ fiberglass and epoxy but you're right that modifying my existing panel may be easier.  I don't need the table mount.  I gave my table away to de clutter my garage. 

Edit: actually I'd rather just make one out of aluminum.  I have several friends w/ welders and I could use the TIG practice.  

When I pull up my carpet I'm left w/ some glue residue.  How much sanding should I do or can I just prime right over the glue?

Don't sand the glue it will just clog up the sandpaper immediately. Pressure wash as much out as you can first.  You can use a strong solvent to loosen it and scrape it off. Slower evaproating solvents are better and I wore a good respirator the whole time because you don't want to be breathing this crap for hours. In the walkthrough I ended up using a piece that covered it all up because there isn't working room to scrape there. 

Using plastic sheets over the solvent will help it evaporate slower. I used acetone but it's such a fast solvent I used a lot. For the plastic panels over the ballast tanks I just coated the glue in wd-40 and it came right off with pressure washer. I'd avoid the wd-40 in the areas you want the bedliner to stick though. I just left the plastic raw everywhere I could. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 10:47 PM, robbennett said:

@Gavin17 I used Monstaliner truck bed liner. It is a urethane coating that is thick lick gelcoat. It rolls on so no worries about overspray. I used PPG Omni epoxy primer under it. I also rolled the primer. 

The bed liner was really nice and held up amazing. It mixes with a hardener so no worries about it dissolving if you get gasoline or any other harsh chemicals on it. It was kinda hard to cover up the bedliner with the seadek it came out so good! 

I will say you will probably want to wrap the aluminum piece that goes over the fuel tank with seadek sheet material. It is crudely cut and I screwed 3/8" of plastic around the perimeter of it to fill in some of the space where carpet used to be. I did the same with the bilge access hatch except used seadek instead of the plastic around the edges. The good news if you want to do deckadence the aluminum piece will sit flush with the floor if you put seadek on it. If you don't it will be a low spot in the floor. 

It looks like I'm going with monstaliner also. Will one gallon be enough for my lsv?

I've gotten a few projects done so far and a few more to go.

FAE Install:  Done

Prosport Charger:  Done

BowStep:  Done

GatorStep:  WIll have in next few weeks from Group Buy

Integrated Tower Light (vs screw in pole light):  In Progress

Windshield Tint:  TBD

New Sub Enclosure:  TBD

y4m8cN66ngiqrl6PONcBjFcTBVO0v_xNnwEwIBgG

y4m4r9W0J-myXEovyzd2dgk7UJBMkffqa5YAVh-s

y4m4iOwmJVxkLqhVm4q5_ETmbvlsuay0ecq8qtHZ

15 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

It looks like I'm going with monstaliner also. Will one gallon be enough for my lsv?

I only used about half a gallon for my vlx. I did leave the insides of the seat bases and the plastic panel above the rear hard tanks raw plastic though. Anything king starboard it will not stick to well.  The panel over the gas tank I also did not coat I just peeled the carpet and flipped it over.  The bow under the hard tank I did not coat either. The stuff doesn't need to be laid down super thick. Two medium coats and you should have good coverage. I used yellow which when painting cars takes extra coats to hide but didn't have that issue with the bedliner. This stuff is really good! I put 4-500 hours on the boat after the project in the two seasons and it was like new when I sold the boat even after having stuff slide around on it in the compartments.