Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Freezing temperatures

Michigan boarder

There's an easier option.  Come be my neighbor in AZ where winterizing means checking to make sure your heater still works.  :)

Winterizing my dad's VLX isn't too bad since he doesn't have ballast tanks.  You can lay down in the hatches and work on the engine, but it's still WAY easier to work on a DD.  The impeller change on the V drive sucks.  At least on the older ones it does.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@oldjeep:  I simply remove the raw water pump (Merc) and disassemble on the bench, seems like the easiest way for the Jabsco belt driven variety.  Off the crank does appear to be easy access.

I agree on the block water drain hoses, no issue for a few years, but long term I would make sure the block fittings are open and not clogged as OJ has noted many times.  The diagram seems to indicate several spots for lake trash to accumulate.

Note:  one option would be to measure water being drained and make sure it remains consistent every year but you would have to do it from the start and keep good records.

That is how I do it as well.  No way I would try to do it while on the boat.

I know that on every boat I winterize that at least one drain winds up with some crap partially clogging it up each year.

• 4 years later...

Got down to 30 last night, 6 hours below freezing. My boat is in storage 45 mins away. 
Is that cold enough long enough to freeze my heater core or shower?

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, John E. said:

Got down to 30 last night, 6 hours below freezing. My boat is in storage 45 mins away. 
Is that cold enough long enough to freeze my heater core or shower?

Is the boat inside? It is probably ok. It probably wasn’t below freezing at all or very long inside the building plus inside the boat. Unfortunately you won’t really know until you start it up next time. I’d plan a trip to go winterize it for sure!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Is the boat inside? It is probably ok. It probably wasn’t below freezing at all or very long inside the building plus inside the boat. Unfortunately you won’t really know until you start it up next time. I’d plan a trip to go winterize it for sure!

Yup, all this.  If inside out of the wind then you should be fine but fix it quick.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Note to self: drain your water soon.  Mine is in storage in a very large warehouse.  I'll bring the tools tomorrow.

You didn't get the single digits that the West side of Lake Michigan got?

15 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

You own water skis? 

Good one. :)
Have to have at least one for step offs in figure 8 tournaments. :) Still have jumpers, shoe skis, trick, slalom, free board and a few combos. Some times I still do stupid stuff on them.

• Thanks 1