Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All Buttoned Up. You?

sunvalleylaw

No, water is out of the engine, but I still need to fog it.  Washing and waxing the hull and deck still need to be done with a few other small details.  My 1970 boat is still in the water till Nov 4, then I concentrate more on winterizing.  I like to wait till the leaves are off the trees so they don't end up in the boats.  My (motorized) rowboat goes till we get ice.   

Edited by electricjohn

Mine is drained, full of antifreeze, impeller and oil changed. Still need to do the trans and v-drive fluid, fix a busted blower bracket and shorten a ballast drain hose that has been a pain since I bought the boat. After that a quick clean and protect inside and out before the charger gets connected and cover goes on. Luckily it lives in my garage, so it is no hurry.
With any luck it will wake up in a new place next year.

• Like 1

mine is.. this past weekend.  towed 500 miles there and back to the dealer on Saturday.  my Ram diesel with 570hp deleted.. loved it.  I am going to see of I can do it myself next year.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Here she is, all tucked in.  

968235EA-2391-4F7A-850E-68D6E37FB255.jpeg

I have some final fiddles and details for this weekend.  Will do one more vacuum, pull the battery and put it on the charger/maintainer, put the seats upstairs in this garage (though I am not sure why I will do that as the space is not heated and they are just as protected under this tarp), and do dryer sheets.  Also will stick a big beach ball in the bow seat to support and crown the cover there.  Last year, I recall I sometimes had to brush a little snow off from there.  If I crown it, snow (the very small amount that blew in) will not collect at all.  

Oh, and do you like my patio furniture covered in the stock boat cover that was never used?  Makes me smile to pull a car in to the driveway and read that there.  There is another picnic table we use in the other yard turned on it's side and covered in the old blue boat cover I replaced protecting the side of the boat and the trailer tires from any elements.  

Also, I need to move that scrap wood on the edge the lawn, and take that oil container to drain down at O"Reilly's.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

just dropped mine off to the barn this weekend :(     I have to admit though it was a lot easier than previous years b/c I skied SO much more this year and i had my best skiing progress.  We used the boat from April 15-Oct 22 - that's a big stretch for Ohio.   Water is in the mid 50's now.

This was my first time winterizing a direct drive - last boat was outboard.    Anyhow, i did the oil and filter,  changed the ATF fluid,  etc.   I have closed cooling so I just ran some pink stuff through the heat exchanger, tranny cooler and exhaust per the previous owner.    

Do you guys prop the engine cover up a few inches ?  I'm thinking of running up to the barn to do this if it will help.

Put mine up this past weekend, earliest I've ever winterized.. :( Just barely squeezed in over 50 hours in the last two season combined.. Hopefully next Summer will be better.

Edited by jcon44
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, SkiPablo said:

just dropped mine off to the barn this weekend :(     I have to admit though it was a lot easier than previous years b/c I skied SO much more this year and i had my best skiing progress.  We used the boat from April 15-Oct 22 - that's a big stretch for Ohio.   Water is in the mid 50's now.

This was my first time winterizing a direct drive - last boat was outboard.    Anyhow, i did the oil and filter,  changed the ATF fluid,  etc.   I have closed cooling so I just ran some pink stuff through the heat exchanger, tranny cooler and exhaust per the previous owner.    

Do you guys prop the engine cover up a few inches ?  I'm thinking of running up to the barn to do this if it will help.

If I had any moisture issues, I would put a vent or two in my cover.  But Idaho's winters (and summers, springs and falls) are very dry so no real need.  My cover is not air tight, and things stay dry.  

Ours is put away and winterized as of last Wednesday(10/25). It was perfect timing because Thursday night was our first freeze here in Central OK. Sad Sad day! I wish I lived somewhere with 12 months of lake weather or at least a winter that I can enjoy(snowboarding). Oklahoma is completely useless to me in the winter months. ha

Peeled back the frozen snow and ice covered...cover...last night at 9pm to pull the drain plugs and empty the hoses. Still need to get the batteries pulled and on the maintenance rack, spread out the Bounce sheets, and put away all the gear. Supposed to be an okay Sunday this weekend so the rest will get done then.

I have spent the last week enlarging one of the garage doors in my shop so I don't have to take my tower apart. It did freeze just barely the other night in Tulsa but not hard enough to worry about the boat under a carport. Forecast is for several days around 80 through the weekend and nothing below freezing. We are not done yet.

• Like 2

Mine went in its heated winter home the first weekend of October.  I have no access to it until the end of April.  I love it because now instead of fiddling with it every weekend I can work on other projects that need done.  Plus its like getting a new boat every year when you haven't seen it for 6 months you forget what it looks like :lol:

• Like 2

Mine girl is all tucked away in my heated garage.  I drained all the water and even took a vacuum to some of the hoses to suck out any residual (which was a lot) compared to just dumping the water at the proper locations for winterization.  Changed impeller/oil, detailed the engine and compartment.  Sucked out the Vdrive and Tranny last night I just have to figure out how much goes back in (RTF) and finish that up tonight.  Now time for projects.  polishing while she is sleeping.

12 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

I wont be putting mine away until some time in December. We are still hitting up the lake every weekend, with water temps of 70 and air almost 80 this weekend. Pic from this past weekend!

38083248802_9242e1ff3a_k.jpgUntitled by William Bru, on Flickr

B-E-A-U-TIFUL!!!

Edited by CBray4

Baby Bu and the camper all winterized and tucked away near Dale Hollow Lake.  
Boat in an enclosed storage bay and camper under the cover of a pull-thru.

Just in time - winterized Friday @75F and Saturday night was <30F.

I use my original Malibu cover as my "winter cover" since it can get dusty and dirty in the storage building, and save my Evolution for the marina. 

... Is it March yet? 

Winterized last week and covered for the long term today!  

Scored two 4lb tubs of damp rid for $10 so those went in along with half a dozen dryer sheets.  Wiped ever last drop of moisture I could find out of the bilge before throwing the cover on. 

Can't wait for the warm weather to hurry back.