Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Raptor 400 winterization question

I winterized my lsv today, I wanted to make sure I did not miss any of the blue drain caps.  Facing transmission (looking towards the transom)I found two of them and the raw water filter.  On the front of the engine I found one blue cap near the impeller and a blue sticker on the impeller housing.

Did I miss anything?  I searched all over and could not find anything else.

Thanks for any info....

Edited by Fman

I think I missed one.  I read that there is one on the heat exchanger on front of motor? (Above impeller housing)  I did not see a blue sticker on it but apparently it's on the bottom you have to feel around for it?

11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

5 total spots, which it sounds like you found. Did you get the anode at the bottom front of the transmission as one?

I did not see one on front of transmission.  There were two blue caps I found near trans and the water strainer.  Do you have a pic where it is located?

Sorry, no photo, but if you look in the 2016 manual at Fig. 8.5 (page 76 of the PDF), you can see it.   The manual is linked on TMC (and below), which I'm sure you know.   It sounds like you removed the water strainer hose connection to drain yours - that isn't in the manual as the strainer is actually an option.  I think the anode plug sits lower and would need to be pulled anyways.   By far, the most water coming out of any connection I removed was from that anode/plug.  It is pretty easy to reach when facing the rear of the boat.  I removed the rear seat (mine slides off the hinges), then pulled the tray out and it is right there.   

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_2016.pdf

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I think I missed one.  I read that there is one on the heat exchanger on front of motor? (Above impeller housing)  I did not see a blue sticker on it but apparently it's on the bottom you have to feel around for it?

If facing the front of the boat, is is on the bottom right corner of the exchanger.   Pretty easy to get to while on the swim deck.  

Lol, as I keep typing,  I figure I'll document all I found just in case and for future reference.

From the rear swim deck:

1. Impeller housing gets removed

2. Blue drain from heat exchanger, on the bottom right corner of the exchanger

From under the rear seat:

3. Blue plug on the hose next to the tranny.  Mine was on the right side, if facing the back of the boat.   Not sure what that hose is actually.   

4.  Pull drain/anode from bottom of front of tranny.

5. Drain from raw water inlet tube.  This is the toughest to get to, at least on 2016s.  I think this is the drain whip on the 2017s.   It is most accessible from the driver side locker, but tough to see.  My dealer installed a drain whip, which actually lays under the tranny, thus I drained mine by accessing it from under the rear seat. 

I hope I got the exhaust crossover looking at the manual now.  Not sure I did, but I'm told there are only 5 locations and I found 5.  So frustrating the manual isn't accurate and says this is "easy as A,B,C"!

Note - My location numbers don't correspond to the numbers on the stickers.  

• 1 month later...

I did this today. Very convenient! The hardest one was back behind the starboard engine mount. It’s a hose lead. You can find where it leads if you get into the rear locker and look under the engine on starboard side. 

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way I have found to winterize these things is just to pump boat/rv coolant through the hose hook up while the engine is running. A lot of shops do it this way as well.

The block is filled with coolant, so the thermostat does not have to open. You just need to worry about getting antifreeze in the coolers and exhaust where the lake water runs.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:28 PM, hethj7 said:

If facing the front of the boat, is is on the bottom right corner of the exchanger.   Pretty easy to get to while on the swim deck.  

I find this one extremely hard to remove for some reason.  Don't know if there is a vacuum or something but it goes in just fine so its not the threads.  I don't do the impellor at winterization since I run it full of antifreeze after draining the water (cheap insurance and prefer it to be there vs dry).

3 hours ago, wbama387 said:

The easiest way I have found to winterize these things is just to pump boat/rv coolant through the hose hook up while the engine is running. A lot of shops do it this way as well.

I drain it first, then use coolant.  WAY less coolant required and you don't have to worry about a mix of water and coolant.