Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 22VLX Build - Updated w/pictures on page 3

Brett B

My 2012 VLX is unfortunately going to take an exorbitant repair bill just to get it back on the water next year, so I’m thinking of trading it in on a new 22VLX if I can get Malibu to work with us on a good deal. 
http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/65277-2012-vlx-transmission-failure/

For starters here is what my 2012 looked like. The red is Crystal metallic, the hull is white, and the interior is white and moonbeam with charcoal and ebony accents. We loved everything about it but don’t want the new boat to look exactly the same.
37867091371_70ac8b1774_z.jpg

Here are the two gel patterns for the 2018 that we like so far, which would you go with? Hull main is the Gunmetal Charcoal Metallic and the accents are Indy Red which I think will look great. 

Version 1
37609681440_883de2109e_z.jpg

Version 2
37609672130_04d61120de_z.jpg

Interior colors are:
Interior base: Light graphite 
Interior main: Graphite
Accent 1: Indy Red
Accent 2: Ebony
Cushion bead: Ebony
Cushion panel: Ebony
Dash accent: Light graphite
37818260266_85c5c8d600_z.jpg

Does the new textured vinyl get less hot than the older stuff? Seems like it would hold dirt more easily so I wanted to go a little darker with the interior than in my last boat. 

Would you do the floor in white even with the deck base in ebony? Looks good to me in the image at least. 

What would you do different on any of the colors?

Edited by Brett B

Thanks for the feedback guys. Does anybody have pictures of the 18" trailer wheel options? I got a few small catalog images from my dealer but it's hard to tell what they actually look like.

Here are the 3 wheel options I’ve been able to find. Does anybody know where to find pictures of these on trailers? I like the XD818 the best but not sure I’m really sold on any of them. 

XD818:
37859515282_027b8c7be6.jpg

XD811:
37170721273_e26983b973.jpg

XD813:
37859515512_be0b8e9121.jpg

6 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

#1 IMO.

2018's have all new vinyl. No more textured stuff. Was in a 2018 yesterday and it felt really good - soft. But it was 60 degrees out so I don't know how it does in heat.

Is that for all of the models? I sat in a new 2018 22VLX at the dealer just a couple weeks ago and it definitely still had the textured vinyl like the 2017's. 

I picked # 3 for mine, I was not crazy about any of the options...It's supposed to have some red around the center cap.. I tried searching for them on a trailer , Not much luck if I could remember, 

Edited by Wakesetter67

^^^ Good to know, thanks. 

Here is the options list so far. Is the non-skid material on the top deck surfaces worth it? I’m thinking about adding it since the deck is black. 

CS bimini-Gen 2 Surf
GL boat cover-w/pleated pockets w/hang-tyte
High Altitude prop 2249
Heater, 2-outlet
Sound system-Wake VLX pack
Subwoofer-12” w/amp
Tower speaker amp
G3.5 tower
Extra pair of fixed combo racks
Bow MLS
Plug-and-play plumbing
Surf Gate 
Power Wedge 2
Soft grip flooring
Sport dash
Wake view seating
Backup camera
Battery setup 2
Pull up cleats, two pair
Docking Lights
18” Wheels
Side carrier spare tire mount
Ratchet trailer straps

Edited by Brett B
20 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

I nixed the spare tire, For 893.00 I can find one that will get me to the tire shop for about 300..00 Use that $$$ for something else..

Yeah that is a good point, I'll have to think about that one. I ordered my 2012 without the spare and then ended up buying it from Boatmate later on anyway as we went on more long distance lake trips. Were you also under the impression that the vinyl for 2018 was smooth instead of the textured stuff from 2017? ahopkins' comment was the first I have heard of it. 

6 minutes ago, Brett B said:

Yeah that is a good point, I'll have to think about that one. I ordered my 2012 without the spare and then ended up buying it from Boatmate later on anyway as we went on more long distance lake trips. Were you also under the impression that the vinyl for 2018 was smooth instead of the textured stuff from 2017? ahopkins' comment was the first I have heard of it. 

There was some confusion on that, My dealer said something about they were having trouble with the supplier and were having to use the 2017 fabric, So to be honest I'm not sure what I'm getting LOL The one I demoed had the old fabric.. 

Edited by Wakesetter67
38 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

There was some confusion on that, My dealer said something about they were having trouble with the supplier and were having to use the 2017 fabric, So to be honest I'm not sure what I'm getting LOL The one I demoed had the old fabric.. 

I heard the same story down here. I'm under the impression that all 2018's going forward will have the "old" textured vinyl (from the '16 and '17). 

IMHO, this is good news. I like the textured stuff. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

You mean like this...??

(only Gunmetal instead of Silver)

IMG_6804.JPG

So I hope your OK with me Using your patented IXFE Gel Schem, Which begs the question WWIXFED ( AKA What Will IXFE Do? )

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Brett B said:

Is that for all of the models? I sat in a new 2018 22VLX at the dealer just a couple weeks ago and it definitely still had the textured vinyl like the 2017's. 

Well I thought so but reading the comments above from @IXFE and @Wakesetter67 it looks like it has changed again. I liked the 2017 stuff too. And I never found it difficult to clean even through running events haven't 30-50 people in and out of the boat.