Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Wakesetter Maintenance and Winterizing

Toomuchpride005

Ok before I get told to search for previous threads for this same thing, believe me I have and none go into enough detail for me. This boat is new to me. I came from a 1976 Ski Tique. Bit more to this one. 

I am looking for specifics as to some general maintenance since I didn't get an owners manual with the boat. 

Oil Filter Model #

Oil 15W-40?

Do I need to run antifreeze into the motor after draining? 

I don't have a fake a lake product yet. Do I need one to add the antifreeze.

Live in Southern KY we do see sub zero temps although rare. It will be in a non insulated garage.

If someone can help walk me through the whole procedure I will do a formal video with everything to do to winterize this exact motor.20171019_112501.jpg

20171019_112447.jpg20171019_112540.jpg20171019_112422.jpg20171019_112435.jpg20171019_112441.jpg

This is a pretty detailed video that should get most of your questions answered.  Take a peek and then holler if you have any others.  How far south in KY?  I live near Louisville and have a place in Cumberland.

Edited by JeffK
6 minutes ago, JeffK said:

This is a pretty detailed video that should get most of your questions answered.  Take a peek and then holler if you have any others.  How far south in KY?  I live near Louisville and have a place in Cumberland.

I am just north of bowling green, Near Nolin Lake, but my boat will be stored at Barren River Lake due to my in-laws being so close and we have a 1 year old. 

Ive seen this video, several times. It is very helpful, it just looks so much newer than mine wasn't sure if there were other steps. 

Also, is it necessary to run the antifreeze? I don't have the equipment to do it.  Or is draining enough?

You can easily remove the hoses from the thermostat and just allow gravity to fill everything up on that motor.  The direct drives are real easy to winterize.  You can do it in 30 minutes.  If you want to IM me your number, I can talk you through it.

Yep, you don't have to use antifreeze, but it is so easy to unhook the hose from the thermostat and fill up the block.  I always do this just to be safe.

7 hours ago, JeffK said:

You can easily remove the hoses from the thermostat and just allow gravity to fill everything up on that motor.  The direct drives are real easy to winterize.  You can do it in 30 minutes.  If you want to IM me your number, I can talk you through it.

This is why I love the Crew.  Great peeps here.

20 hours ago, Toomuchpride005 said:

20171019_112422.jpg

Looks like you need to replace your riser gasket(s) too. Right above "malibu" is where those gaskets are, I think bakes.com has them for like 4 bucks or so each. You'll need "ball end" allen wrench sockets to get at the bolt above the "U" too. I was chasing a leak in my boat for quite a while, mine were both leaking on the inside making them even harder to see on my v-drive. 

• Like 1
On October 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM, jwl019 said:

Oil Filter  - NAPA Gold 1069

Rotella T or Dello 400 15w-40 oil, needs SN rating. New T4 oil does not have it.

I just used t4 before putting mine away.  I have the 6.0L lys engine.  Would the new t4 not exceed the SN rating?

6 hours ago, racer808 said:

I just used t4 before putting mine away.  I have the 6.0L lys engine.  Would the new t4 not exceed the SN rating?

Not sure really, between this thread and another clarifying which Delo 400 to buy is where I got it from:

I have 1 gallon of Rotella T and I was debating on mixing it with 1-1.5 quarts of the T4 but just decided to use the Dello.

• 11 months later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:31 PM, jwl019 said:

Rotella T or Dello 400 15w-40 oil, needs SN rating. New T4 oil does not have it.

What is the SN rating? Indmar is recommending the T4 so I'm surprised. Was just about to order mine for winterizing.