Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does anyone have thoughts on Shelter Logic or Rhino Shelter for winter storage?

gobble

I've always parked my old boats in my driveway over winter here in WI under a shipping cover with a tent sort of built under it. This year with a brand new boat I feel like I should maybe treat it better (although I don't think the old method did any harm).

Has anyone tried a Shelter Logic or Rhino Shelter enclosure, one that will survive snow and wind? I'm curious what experiences have been and if it does any good to keep it sheltered but still frozen.

We have 2 of the shelter logic barn style units. One is 24' long, the other 28'.

Around here, indoor storage is as much as 400/month, the tent barns do a great job, I don't have to shrink wrap, and the boats can go out on a warm day and go back in super easy. Spring for the heavier vinyl though.

• Like 1

How many years do these typically last in a northern climate? I'm in SE Wisconsin and shrink wrap my boat and put it next to my garage.

id like the convenience of being able to access but am worried that the cost is significant. I can shrink wrap for 4-5 years for the price of these.

9 hours ago, asnowman said:

We have 2 of the shelter logic barn style units. One is 24' long, the other 28'.

Around here, indoor storage is as much as 400/month, the tent barns do a great job, I don't have to shrink wrap, and the boats can go out on a warm day and go back in super easy. Spring for the heavier vinyl though.

Around here (MN, west WI) indoor storage is $10-30 a foot for the entire winter for un-heated storage in a pole barn.  Lower end of the price range is typically gravel floor and upper is concrete.

I pay $430 for heated storage in SE Wisconsin.  I do my own winterization, but then still have the safety of the heated concrete facility.  My boat is only 20', so it'd be a bit more for the longer boats, but still, not an expensive consideration for an expensive item.

• Like 2

I wish I could pay 400-500 for indoor for the season. 550 is about the going rate a spot in a grass lot. I was quoted 400/month for indoor, heated for the vtx 2 winters ago. 

Right now I am building up a gravel base to put our two shelter logic tents on. I like having the storage all year too, but the Mrs likes knowing exactly where her boats are, and being able to get them out on her schedule.

We have been happy with how the things deal with snow, and the boats come out clean, without shrinkwrap, which also affords me the opportunity to work on them in the spring and fall, that's a great benefit as well.

A friend of mine has a shelter logic for her boat. It's pretty stout. The roof pitch is steep enough that I doubt much snow would even hold on top of it. Probably would slide right off once it hits 6 inches or so.

Edited by boardjnky4

If you don’t take care of the shelter logic in the snow and the sun it will only last maybe 3 years. You just have to spray them with a fabric guard and make sure the snow doesn’t pile up. Most importantly make sure they’re tied down properly, we’ve had a few at the lake blow away. 

I use the shelter logic for keeping my boat in over the winters. I am on my third one now, cost me about $250 for a 10'x20' peak style, I get two years out of them. Now beware of these as they are cheap but do work if ya take care of it. I use 1" x 4" boards along the trusses to add support (snow) also the whole thing is anchored to a 6" x 6" base (wind, yes I have had one blow away). Long as you know you are going to have to maintain it then they are a good deal.

I've been doing a bunch of research on these things the last couple days. Apparently Shelter Logic sells crappy ones (7.5oz/meter fabric) in the big box stores and better ones (9 oz, 14.5 oz, 21.5 oz) direct and through a limited number of dealers. There's also Rhino Shelter which is 12oz/meter and they get decent reviews. The big box Shelter Logic units get terrible reviews. The better ones get good reviews. $1,200 seems like the price for a decent one. The round one is best with snow.

I could do indoor storage unheated here for around $400. My thinking is I'd like to have the boat close to me if these shelters work well. I don't want to drive it to someone's barn and not be able to look at it for 5 months. It sounds dumb but I might want to go in there and sit in it during the winter.

Edited by gobble

This has me thinking about a recent thread on TMC where someone was looking to put a boat in a shipping container sideways. I just rented a 20 ft. shipping container for $98/month and it makes me think that if there is a similar rental outfit near you, using a rented shipping container for six months could be cheaper and more durable than a canvas/plastic shelter. You'll just need some way to tip the container on it's side, and you'll need a winch to open/close the doors. I know that 20 ft is too short for most boats, and 40 ft may be too big for most people's property, I believe that there are 30 ft containers out there and that might be the sweet spot for storing a boat.

56 minutes ago, mikeo said:

This has me thinking about a recent thread on TMC where someone was looking to put a boat in a shipping container sideways. I just rented a 20 ft. shipping container for $98/month and it makes me think that if there is a similar rental outfit near you, using a rented shipping container for six months could be cheaper and more durable than a canvas/plastic shelter. You'll just need some way to tip the container on it's side, and you'll need a winch to open/close the doors. I know that 20 ft is too short for most boats, and 40 ft may be too big for most people's property, I believe that there are 30 ft containers out there and that might be the sweet spot for storing a boat.

Its just so crazy it just might work

I bought my Shelter Logic used from my buddy in '03.  Still going strong.  It is in the shade during the summer and I do remove the snow load off the unit when I can in the winter.  20 x10, so there is little room for anything else in there.  Fold away tongue on the trailer.  I used a piece of rubber roofing for the floor.  Varmint traps are a must.

I'm going to try the cheap off the shelf shelterlogic round top garage.  I plan on building a pole barn at some point but new boat, house and baby in one year has put that on hold for a while. 

If I can get a few seasons out of it I will be happy. I can fit the boat in the garage but I need some cover in the summer too. Our yard needs a ton of work and we kickup a lot of dust and tree debris.  Even covered we were finding a lot of crap in the boat and were having trouble keeping vinyl clean. 

I bought one like this back in fall of 2007 , i believe....http://mdmshelters.com/barn_style.php

I got one in gray and it has been awesome.  I think i got it for about 1300$ at the time.  The cover has faded to very light gray but other than that, no rips or leaks.  It is very solidly constructed and anchored into the ground.  One of the zippers on the rollup door has started to tear away from the cover in one smal spot but not enough of an issue to worry about yet.  We are building a house with a large 3 car garage and I will finally be able to store it properly by early 2018.  :thumbup:

I will agree with a previous poster about needing to keep lots of varmint protection around.  I had a mouse trying to nest just under the edge of the cover one year when i pulled it out in the spring.  After that I made sure to put out lots of rat bait during the year and haven't had any issues.  I also , when I know I am done for the season, wrap the boat about 2ft above and below the rub rail really good with pallet shrink wrap.  That has kept out all unwelcome guests.   So, I would recommend one of these type shelters to anyone looking for a long term solution to their boat storage.  I think I could buy a new cover for this one for a few hundred bucks if needed and it would be good to go for another 10+ years.

• 2 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0aHSxcYetRWFdGeVN0RWNoWk0/view?usp=drivesdk

Here are the two we have, both shelter logic barn style, one on the left is 3 years old, right one is only 1 year old. We get plenty of snow, and I can run the snowblower between them, but have not had to even try to remove snow off them. Both are the standard 9.5oz material.

I put a heavy duty one up at our lake house this fall, the 14oz or whatever it is. It was $1500 for a 12x24, 11 high in the center. With the big wind storm we just had, we had no issues.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

DO NOT BUY from these people, or their affiliate MDM shelters. Their warranty is a joke. If you don't send in a product registration card with photos within 30 days of purchase (which was not disclosed via MDM shelters or included in the packaging anywhere) they won't honor their 2 year limited manufacturer warranty. Even if you do send the card in, the purchaser is responsible for all shipping costs of warranty parts. They charge $100 for shipping, even if you're just buying the little bungee cords.