Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Promariner on-board battery charger reccomendations

hawaiianstyln

12 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Remember, your starting battery is in the same role as your car battery, and you don't have that on a charger.

Very True!

26 minutes ago, MLA said:

So you dont agree with the recommendation I didnt make? ;)  The OP has not divulged an actual charger model, so I cant recommend for or against one yet. We also do not know the size of the bank in Ah yet. 

The title of the thread is "Promariner on-board charger recommendations."  Given that we know that the AH load of almost any three deep cycle batteries in parallel is going to exceed the rating of the promariner consumer chargers, I don't think I made such a huge leap.

Really I guess I'm fishing for what you recommend to your customers when doing a similar install ?

@shawndoggy

Im guessing the series you are discounting, is the yellow one with gray end caps proSport? In your earlier link, there is a promariner ProNautic series 30A 3 bank that might do the job. Selectable battery type, 4 charge stages, 3 bank with distribute on demand. I have not used this particular charger, so just going off the cliff notes at first glance. 

One charger I have used for large AH house banks, is the Xantrex TrueCharge 2 3-bank 40A.  

3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Remember, your starting battery is in the same role as your car battery, and you don't have that on a charger.

I do if it's not my daily driver. When I didn't put the starting battery on a smart charger over the winter (boat, Jeep Wrangler, gas golf cart, etc), that battery died the following spring. Winter is tough on batteries if you don't use them. The smart charger exercises them too.

BTW Keith, I have a Guest dual bank, 10 amp charger. My batteries are now 7 or 8 yrs old & did great this summer. No clue, but Guest might have bigger chargers with more banks too. Good luck.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

2 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Really? I had no clue ;-)

Yea, it wasn't too clear to me.    :cheers: