Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking fin damage and replacement?

So first time out on a new lake with my recently purchased 02 sunscape and I find the unmarked bolder! That noise absolutely broke my heart! Now im wondering how much its going to break my wallet? Severely bent both tracking fins to one side and trashed my prop. Doesnt seem to have actually hit the hull, stut or rudder but I still need to do further inspection. It was dark after limping her back to the ramp. Didnt take pn amy water either.

Ive been trying to find posts and pictures on this topic but havent found anyone posting a cost. Also, the fins ive seen pictured dont look like the ones on my boat. There are no bolt/screw holes that can be seen from underneath. Ive already found a prop for $450. Should I have the fins replaced professionally or is this something I should attempt myself? Not sure how I would properly a line them unless they are though bolted. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Edited by SMLbound

Took a closer look at the damage lastnight. Doesn't appear to be any hull damage and the strut and prop shaft dont look like they've been touched. Ill have to pull the fuel tank to get to the fin bolts. Looks to me like the must have studs going through the hull. 

I took some picture with my phone, but cant seem to figure out how to post them here.

Im wondering if I can straighten them once i get them off. Has anyone tried this before? They are loose enough now that I can move them with my hand but wouldnt try any leverage or hammer. It would probably mess up the mounting holes.

@SMLbound If the sunscape is anything like the echelon then the tracking fins are not through bolted, or at least you cannot easily access the backside of the fin where it mounts through the hull.  A fiberglass repair shop had to cut an opening in the ski locker of my boat to get to the back side of that area of the hull.

DO NOT try and repair them on the boat. The force you would have to use to bend them back would for sure damage the the hull. I would believe that you may be able to straighten them using heat and making a jig and fixture to assure proper alignment. You will want to inspect these very closely after they are straightened to make 100% sure you have no cracks. i would recommend replacing them , but if money is a problem you could proceed with trying to straighten them. i would ask a prop shop if the can check and fix any cracks if they appear. i would double check your shaft alignment with a dial indicator to see if you have unacceptable run out. i wouldn't be surprised if it got bent. hopefully not but its for sure possible. replacing the shaft is very simple to do. 

2 hours ago, 96Response said:

DO NOT try and repair them on the boat. The force you would have to use to bend them back would for sure damage the the hull. I would believe that you may be able to straighten them using heat and making a jig and fixture to assure proper alignment. You will want to inspect these very closely after they are straightened to make 100% sure you have no cracks. i would recommend replacing them , but if money is a problem you could proceed with trying to straighten them. i would ask a prop shop if the can check and fix any cracks if they appear. i would double check your shaft alignment with a dial indicator to see if you have unacceptable run out. i wouldn't be surprised if it got bent. hopefully not but its for sure possible. replacing the shaft is very simple to do. 

Money is a bit of a concern considering i just dropped 1k in her for a strut (previous owner blew out the strut bushings) and dripless packing. If I can straighten them properly it'll save me about $400. If I screw them up, oh well. Then I'll just replace them. I really want to get them off and inspect the hull further from the inside. 

I was just over idle speed when I heard the first scrape and quickly put it in neutral. I believe I just grazed it. No marks on the hull. Not sure exactly how to check the shaft alignment. It still looks centered in the strut bushings.

Still cant figure out how to post pics...

8 minutes ago, SMLbound said:

Money is a bit of a concern considering i just dropped 1k in her for a strut (previous owner blew out the strut bushings) and dripless packing. If I can straighten them properly it'll save me about $400. If I screw them up, oh well. Then I'll just replace them. I really want to get them off and inspect the hull further from the inside. 

I was just over idle speed when I heard the first scrape and quickly put it in neutral. I believe I just grazed it. No marks on the hull. Not sure exactly how to check the shaft alignment. It still looks centered in the strut bushings.

Still cant figure out how to post pics...

posting from a computer or a phone?

look for a "choose files" then select the photos or drag them into the reply post

10 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

posting from a computer or a phone?

look for a "choose files" then select the photos or drag them into the reply post

Posting from an android phone. I'll try it from my PC when I get home.

Anyone tell me if the link I posted work?

It worked for me.  I would not even try to straighten those, just replace them.  Prop looks like it can be fixed.  Rudder looks very straight!  I'd change the prop and fins and put it in the water and see how it feels.

29 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

It worked for me.  I would not even try to straighten those, just replace them.  Prop looks like it can be fixed.  Rudder looks very straight!  I'd change the prop and fins and put it in the water and see how it feels.

Thanks for the confirmation. Hope its not gonna be too much of a pain to get the tank out. 

15 hours ago, SMLbound said:

Thanks for the confirmation. Hope its not gonna be too much of a pain to get the tank out. 

If you're interested I'd be more than willing to atleast try to put some torch heat to them and bend them back.  PM me if you're interested.

30 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

If you're interested I'd be more than willing to atleast try to put some torch heat to them and bend them back.  PM me if you're interested.

Definitely appreciate the offer Ndawg12! I have access to a plethora of metal working tools myself. Planning on trying to rework them this weekend if I can get them off. I'll let ya know how it goes...

3 hours ago, williemon said:

How would it run if you left them bent?

Not sure. Didn't seem to have any steering issues when I limped it back to the launch. Only vibration from the bent prop. The problem is the fins are loose now... besides bent.

What sealant do you guys think I should use when putting the tracking fins back on? 3m 4200? I'd rather them come off without a chunk of the hull if they get hit again...

Well , its certainly free to try and straighten them. they have to come off anyway and no cost for trying. Id put them in the oven at about 425 deg. Then pull them out and if you need additional heat use a torch to make them more malleable. i bet they will come out OK. you really have nothing to loose. if you have a press that would be the way to go. Pounding on them with a hammer may indent them too much being that they are going to be rather soft from heating them. when you let them cool, put them in buckets of sand and let them cool slowly. that will prevent any cracks or warping and or shrinking. i think you will success.  id use the 3m 5200 sealant to seal things up. 

6 hours ago, solorex said:

I'd count yourself lucky that you didn't damage your hull... you have a pretty cheap fix considering what could have happened!

Agreed, just hurts the pride a little haha! First time in 20 years of being on the water. It was bound to happen at some point I guess. Been looking at bouys to drop to let others know the harzard is there. Wouldn't wish that on anyone!

• 1 year later...

Seriously. Count yourself lucky.. This happened to me and ruined all my underwater gear and tore a couple holes in my hull.

On a side note, anyone know what tracking fins came with an 01 VLX? From everything I am finding, that year and model should have come with the 4 bolt fin(s). Pretty sure my boat had a challenger fin on it with the 3 bolt pattern. Driving me nuts trying to track down all the brass i need for the repair without spending a fortune at bakes lol.

1rAXzvg.jpg

owYxODa.jpg

Edited by Zsteeves